[1.12.x] Stock Waterfall Effects (SWE) - A Waterfall config set for realistic rocket exhaust plumes for the stock engines

Knight of St John

Found a bug - like the actual fault, not just the symptom.

Symptom - "Place Anywhere 1 Linear RCS Port" has no sound

Cause -  Line 344 in RCS.cfg

Reads:

transformName = RCSthruster

Should Read:

transformName = RCSjet

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there ! Wonderful mod, I really love the aesthetic and global performance, thanks for theses Stock Configs !

But i'm still strugling a lot with RAPIERs, I have a bunch on a craft, can't do otherwise, and i'm willing to do a cinematic but that's too much lag right now.

I've read that the last update might have fixed it ? 'Coz, well, i've tested it, and I would say that's the same.

Sooo... Is there a way to fix it ? I really want to get on with my video but damn, it's so laggy :p

Maybe I can deactivate them ? There is a lot, so not through the Waterfall panel, i've already tried that, with the lag it's time consuming. But by deleting the file in the mod folder, that would work ?

I would love to still have some effect, but, like, 50% as beautiful for 50% the performance impact :p

On 9/21/2021 at 1:38 AM, tg626 said:

Found a bug - like the actual fault, not just the symptom.

Symptom - "Place Anywhere 1 Linear RCS Port" has no sound

Cause -  Line 344 in RCS.cfg

Reads:

transformName = RCSthruster

Should Read:

transformName = RCSjet

Cheers!

aha, will have a look at this for the next update. thx!

On 9/30/2021 at 6:34 PM, Dakitess said:

I would love to still have some effect, but, like, 50% as beautiful for 50% the performance impact :p

you're going to have to be patient. i'll try to redesign this plume as soon as possible. but time is in limited supply for me.

11 hours ago, Dakitess said:

Sure I can understand that ;)

Is there a way to delete the Rapiers' config so that only this engine remains stock and everything else remain waterfall ?

Yes! You can do exactly that by deleting the Rapier.cfg file in StockWaterfallEffects/Engine Configurations.

Got it, thanks ! It worked, went from 3-4 FPS to a solid 9 FPS haha. But damn theses effects are missing, WaterFall is such a crazy addition !

unknown.png

unknown.png

I might even keep them for my cinematic and struggle until I jettison them haha !

46 minutes ago, Dakitess said:

Got it, thanks ! It worked, went from 3-4 FPS to a solid 9 FPS haha. But damn theses effects are missing, WaterFall is such a crazy addition !

unknown.png

unknown.png

I might even keep them for my cinematic and struggle until I jettison them haha !

Noice, 9 FPS

• 3 weeks later...

This mod makes tutorial mission where you need to launch onto the orbit of kerbin impossible to complete. May have to do with attitude adjustments maybe? You cant follow target markers on navball successfully during this mission - it always says "something went wrong, restart" even if you use autopilot as instructed in a mission.

After removing this mod all works fine

• 1 month later...

New release (0.6.0) is out!

• New waterfall templates for these engines:
    - Vector: hydrolox, methalox, high performance hydrolox
    - Mammoth: hydrolox, methalox, high performance hydrolox
    - Rapier: methane jet, methalox

• The new plumes use the newest waterfall shaders, which allow for significant savings in effect count. Therefore, you should experience less lag. The Rapier jet plume especially has been massively optimized.

• Added B9PartSwitch support for the Vector and Mammoth. You can now select one of three possible plumes in the editor or in flight:
    - RS-25 (SSME) inspired hydrolox plume
    - Raptor inspired methalox plume
    - Performance optimized hydrolox plume (the one Stratzenblitz uses for minimal lag)

On 9/2/2021 at 10:00 AM, lajoswinkler said:

I've noticed the mod doesn't support Munar Excursion Module (M.E.M.)'s RCS thrusters so they still do those nasty puff-puffs.

I fixed this, and also the bug where the small linear RCS doesn't make sound.

Also, I've made new RCS plumes. they are now much more accurate to real life rcs jets in vacuum:

Alright. I just released version 0.6.2

• new templates for rcs jets
  • fixed small linear rcs port not producing sound
  • configured LEM lander with waterfall plumes
  • fixed mammoth having 4 engine lights instead of 1

that concludes my work on the 0.6 update. I'll probably work on more revamps of existing plumes, but not for a week or so at least.

Edited by Knight of St John

Bugreport for 0.6.2.

Tested with newest Waterfall: 0.7.0 and KSP 1.12.2

Vector plumes makes whole enginebell exterior glow blue outside (Plume does not fit in engine bell) (tested 2 of 3).

Vector plumes disappears behind planetary surface after reaching a certain hight. Only the part in front of the black skybox can be seen, what's in front of the surface is cut away. Climbing higher is effect goes away suddenly. Interference with Spectra's Volumetrics ?!

Haven't tested the other engines. Reverted back to 0.5.2 for now.

Edited by Rakete

3 hours ago, Rakete said:

Vector plumes makes whole enginebell exterior glow blue outside (Plume does not fit in engine bell) (tested 2 of 3).

could you send me a screenshot of this?
I just tested your scenario. with Spectra. and I can't reproduce this.

3 hours ago, Rakete said:

Vector plumes disappears behind planetary surface after reaching a certain hight. Only the part in front of the black skybox can be seen, what's in front of the surface is cut away. Climbing higher is effect goes away suddenly. Interference with Spectra's Volumetrics ?!

I also tested this, and can't reproduce it either.
please give me an exact procedure that i can test. so: which mods do you have installed (less mods is better, so try only waterfall and spectra). any specific settings you changed. what craft did you use, and how did you fly it. perhaps some screenshots of the bug would help.

I also noticed that the new spectra seems kinda bugged though.
try to install scatterer version 0772 instead of the newest scatterer. I believe that might fix your issues.

On 12/10/2021 at 8:22 PM, Knight of St John said:

I also tested this, and can't reproduce it either.
please give me an exact procedure that i can test. so: which mods do you have installed (less mods is better, so try only waterfall and spectra). any specific settings you changed. what craft did you use, and how did you fly it. perhaps some screenshots of the bug would help.

I also noticed that the new spectra seems kinda bugged though.
try to install scatterer version 0772 instead of the newest scatterer. I believe that might fix your issues.

Hiho,

I don't have any scatterer installed (munches to much FPS). Just Spectra 1.4 (not the newest version), Eve Redux  (needed for spectra), ksp 1.12.2 and a bunch of Nertea-Mods. Uninstalled all other mods. Still the same. 

Unfortunately I am not on the pc for some days, so I can't deliver screenshots atm. Will do later on.

Edited by Rakete

On 12/13/2021 at 1:44 PM, scivirus said:

there is no Tail smoke on any engine ....everything ells seems ro work as intended none of the other mods seems to have caused it 

correct. it is intended. most engines dont really produce much smoke in real life. except for SRBs who remain unchanged. also: the smoke looks bad in ksp, and produces lag.

the rapier does still have a smoketrail btw.

On 12/9/2021 at 3:52 AM, Knight of St John said:

New release (0.6.0) is out!

• New waterfall templates for these engines:
    - Vector: hydrolox, methalox, high performance hydrolox
    - Mammoth: hydrolox, methalox, high performance hydrolox
    - Rapier: methane jet, methalox

• The new plumes use the newest waterfall shaders, which allow for significant savings in effect count. Therefore, you should experience less lag. The Rapier jet plume especially has been massively optimized.

• Added B9PartSwitch support for the Vector and Mammoth. You can now select one of three possible plumes in the editor or in flight:
    - RS-25 (SSME) inspired hydrolox plume
    - Raptor inspired methalox plume
    - Performance optimized hydrolox plume (the one Stratzenblitz uses for minimal lag)

Is it just me or does the vector/mammoth plume not look as good? Performance improvements are great but I think the purple/red/orange is a little too bright compared to how faint it was on the rs-25 in real life and the plumes from before. And also when going up through the astrosphere when the plume expands I feel like the exhaust is too bright and doesn't move as much as before. One thing I do like though is the little puff that comes out when you "start" the engine.

Here are 2 pics showing what I though wasn't the best looking about 10km up

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2685217599

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2685217514

Edited by QAM00
Adding pics