Jump to content

[1.12.x] Stock Waterfall Effects - A Waterfall config set for realistic rocket exhaust plumes for the stock engines


Knight of St John
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Random Annoying Guy said:

RealPlume - Stock inspired jet engine plumes

screenshot19.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/224860633525518347/996827910306533448/jetenginesforwaterfall.zip

RAPIER most definitely will not be working

Nice, but I won't be changing those plumes in my pack. those jet-flames aren't realistic for those types of jet engines. I'll keep my basic heat distortion & smoke plumes I have now.
for the Rapier: your config seems to have it configured as a kerosine jet/ hypergolic rocket engine combo, which to my knowledge is also not accurate.

they look cool though, but I do like to keep a semblance of realism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonderful mod! However I've been having an issue with none of the rcs jets showing a plume at all - only the light source appears. The Vernor engine shows correctly. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I've tried going to an earlier waterfall and stock config version but nothing seems to work.

EDIT: Installing Scatterer fixed it.

Edited by TeeGee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Knight of St John said:

Nice, but I won't be changing those plumes in my pack. those jet-flames aren't realistic for those types of jet engines. I'll keep my basic heat distortion & smoke plumes I have now.
for the Rapier: your config seems to have it configured as a kerosine jet/ hypergolic rocket engine combo, which to my knowledge is also not accurate.

they look cool though, but I do like to keep a semblance of realism.

I'm not proposing this change to your pack, those are just plumes I made based on configs from this pack and that's why i'm posting it here.

Your wet Panther's plume is broken by the way, shock10 has its modifiers out of order.

Edited by Random Annoying Guy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Knight of St John said:

Working on a new plume for the rhino.

old plume:
1cJxpXQ.gif

new plume:

  Reveal hidden contents

8MkoEcB.gif

Are you by any chance working on optimizing the plumes as well? The old ones were a bit heavy and contained a lot of layers that most of the times you could not even see. I looked at the new Vector plume and saw that a lot of layers were "merged together", so to speak. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Are you by any chance working on optimizing the plumes as well? The old ones were a bit heavy and contained a lot of layers that most of the times you could not even see. I looked at the new Vector plume and saw that a lot of layers were "merged together", so to speak. 

There’s an ongoing effort to optimize waterfall - it will still be roughly linear in the number of effects, modifiers, etc but it should give a ~3x speed up in cpu cost.  I’d guess that will land within a few weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Are you by any chance working on optimizing the plumes as well? The old ones were a bit heavy and contained a lot of layers that most of the times you could not even see. I looked at the new Vector plume and saw that a lot of layers were "merged together", so to speak. 

the new vector already has many less "layers" or effects as we call them than the old vector plume.
I think you probably just didnt notice what effects disappeared when you tested because some of them are rather subtle, like engine lights, or heat distortion. you can disable these in the waterfall settings by default if you think it's lagging your game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Knight of St John said:

the new vector already has many less "layers" or effects as we call them than the old vector plume.

Yep, I did see that, that was the point of my message about the Vector. :) I did look into the template, that's where this thought is coming from. 

11 hours ago, Knight of St John said:

I think you probably just didnt notice what effects disappeared when you tested because some of them are rather subtle, like engine lights, or heat distortion. you can disable these in the waterfall settings by default if you think it's lagging your game.

The effects themselves didn't necessarily do anything bad with the performance, the lights did a bit, I disabled them. I just thought the other templates might receive some refreshment in the future, like the Vector. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, dok_377 said:

The effects themselves didn't necessarily do anything bad with the performance, the lights did a bit, I disabled them. I just thought the other templates might receive some refreshment in the future, like the Vector. 

Ah. Yes that's the goal. Since the waterfall update from a while back, I've been slowly using the new shaders to update older plumes, to make them look better, but also perform better. I'm just rather busy, which means progress is slow.
next up, I think I'll revamp the poodle and terrier methalox plumes. maybe also the cheetah, wolfhound and skipper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to let you all know: I've found a fix for the bug where plumes are visible through parts when anti-aliasing is disabled. When the next waterfall (so not SWE) update comes along, it'll be fixed.

I've also found the cause for the bug where plumes aren't visible at night or in planet's shadows (unless if you install Scatterer). I'm working on solving this too, hopefully also in time for the next waterfall update.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2022 at 2:01 AM, Knight of St John said:

I've also found the cause for the bug where plumes aren't visible at night or in planet's shadows (unless if you install Scatterer). I'm working on solving this too, hopefully also in time for the next waterfall update.

And we've found a solution for this bug too. next waterfall update will fix all the remaining issues.

Edited by Knight of St John
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

There’s a separate config mod for SRBs: 

 

 

This mod has a number of issues with it, like requiring RealPlume and TUFX. It creates duplicate plumes for all SRBs which overlap with each other :/  I posted about it on SRBWE's last page

Edited by HafCoJoe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HafCoJoe said:

This mod has a number of issues with it, like requiring RealPlume and TUFX. It creates duplicate plumes for all SRBs which overlap with each other :/  I posted about it on SRBWE's last page

Yeah, SRBWE has a lot of issues but KnightOfStJohn has previously said they're not interested in making SRB effects: 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, HafCoJoe said:

This mod has a number of issues with it, like requiring RealPlume and TUFX. It creates duplicate plumes for all SRBs which overlap with each other :/  I posted about it on SRBWE's last page

Well, personally, I just use the realplume configs for the SRBs. I dont really feel like waterfall can add that much more to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use ReStock+
there are no waterfall configurations for engines - LV-TX87 "Bobcat", LV-T91 "Cheetah"
Very useful engines. Especially the Cheetah.
Does anyone know how to tie configurations to these engines from - "Stock Waterfall Effects"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2022 at 9:24 AM, BezKartuza said:

I use ReStock+
there are no waterfall configurations for engines - LV-TX87 "Bobcat", LV-T91 "Cheetah"
Very useful engines. Especially the Cheetah.
Does anyone know how to tie configurations to these engines from - "Stock Waterfall Effects"?

Just install this mod next to waterfall restock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, here we go for another release: version 0.7.0

New features:
• added new plumes to the Rhino and Skiff engines
• landing gear lights now have waterfall effects too

Together with the newest version of the waterfall mod, the following bugs are fixed:
• some plumes aren't visible at night or in planets shadows
• some plumes are visible through parts

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2022 at 5:51 AM, Knight of St John said:

Well, personally, I just use the realplume configs for the SRBs. I dont really feel like waterfall can add that much more to them.

Hi, this is an example of some of the new plumes that will be available in SWE once we figure out how to remove the realplume effects.

A1R3qFq.gif

Personally I believe them to be much nicer

Edited by Adiri
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...