[1.12.x] Stock Waterfall Effects (SWE) - A Waterfall config set for realistic rocket exhaust plumes for the stock engines

Knight of St John

1 hour ago, Knight of St John said:

Actually, Nertea and I are talking about adding some of my plumes to the WaterfallReStock mod as well. So with some patience, you'll be able to have my effects on ReStock as well.

Hehe... that should make @Zorg abit relieved, to know he can dodge the bullet of adding moar Restock/Stock Waterfall plumes, and continue to concentrate on BDB and other stuff... lol vOv

Popping up here again. The plumes are looking lovely!

One bit of feedback: could you maybe add plumes for the Mainsail's gas generator exhausts? I know the real engine is hydrolox so it wouldn't look quite like this, but the stock and RealPlume plumes have them, so it would probably make sense to add them.

maxresdefault.jpg

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

One bit of feedback: could you maybe add plumes for the Mainsail's gas generator exhausts? I know the real engine is hydrolox so it wouldn't look quite like this, but the stock and RealPlume plumes have them, so it would probably make sense to add them.

Aye, well spotted. I'm going to add them for the skipper and twin boar too, since they have exhaust pipes too.
Was planning on doing this today, the pic above is just the WIP :-)

3 minutes ago, Knight of St John said:

Aye, well spotted. I'm going to add them for the skipper and twin boar too, since they have exhaust pipes too.
Was planning on doing this today, the pic above is just the WIP :-)

I don't see any gas generator exhaust pipes on the Skipper but the Twin Boar definitely has them. (I think the Swivel/Reliant have them as well).

1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I don't see any gas generator exhaust pipes on the Skipper but the Twin Boar definitely has them. (I think the Swivel/Reliant have them as well).

My bad. I meant the swivel, not skipper. Argh!
And yea, the reliant too.

Edited by Knight of St John

4 minutes ago, Knight of St John said:

So I'm working on a decent kerolox generator plume:

unknown.png unknown.png

but as you can see, the smoke is visible through the main plume.
Would you guys think this is still okay? or would you rather not have smoke in the generator plume, and just flames? it'd be unrealistic though.

The WaterfallRestock gas-generator exhausts keep the Restock particles, and they do this as well. It's not ideal, but there doesn't seem to be a better way. I'd take this over just flames from the GGs.

Okay people, new release is ready:

New engines configured with waterfall effects:
• Swivel
• Skipper
• Mainsail
• Twin Boar
• Nerv

Minor changes:
• added deep throttle effect to the Vector and Mammoth
• improved upper stage kerolox plumes
• added gas generator plumes

Not much has changed from the previous screenshot I sent, but here's a look at the new gas generator plumes:
unknown.png

I ended up not going for smoky gas generators because they were visible through the main plume. it looked weird.

10 hours ago, Knight of St John said:

sneak peek of what I'm working on next:

Webp.net-gifmaker_8.gif

Hydrolox, huh? I'd have thought you'd use methane for it, though I guess in real life the only full-scale testing has been with hydrogen/oxygen ones. More references to work off of this way, yeah?

EDIT: Also, since I didn't show the appropriate amount of appreciation, Yes! The aerospike!

Edited by RyanRising

1 hour ago, RyanRising said:

Hydrolox, huh? I'd have thought you'd use methane for it, though I guess in real life the only full-scale testing has been with hydrogen/oxygen ones. More references to work off of this way, yeah?

Hmm yes, it's an edge-case. very decent isp in vacuum, which means that if it had a bell nozzle, it'd be even better. so we're looking at poodle or better in terms of isp.
And because the only irl example i can find is hydrolox, I went with that.

Same for the Skiff. it's got good isp, but not better than the poodle, although that's probably because it's not as much vacuum optimized.
so I'm still debating if it'll be hydrolox or methalox. its model is based on a hydrolox engine though.

Edited by Knight of St John

I must disect this mod for how the effects are done. I've been working on some FX myself and must learn how you did these, especially the shock diamonds. Perhaps we could collaborate too and provide a pack for all engines in stock KSP?
Here are some of my FX so far:
https://imgur.com/a/iGgZWIX

https://imgur.com/a/nG7SNQ1

https://imgur.com/a/iZ9Czl9

https://imgur.com/a/DyXuSyE

8 hours ago, HB Stratos said:

Here are some of my FX so far:

these are looking promising. I quite like the panther and whiplash. the rapier is good too, but I prefer my own config :-)

As I mentioned in the main Waterfall thread, I'm already on track to finish all of the rocket engines, But I'm still lacking some jets.
I feel like the ones you made are a very good start. And if you want to submit them for this mod, I'd be happy to help finalize them.

I'd certainly be in for that, my goal was to make configs for all jets, though I am unsure what I should do for the non-afterburning ones. I also prefer my rapier as it looks much smoother, I'll have to disect the effect to find out how it works.  I have also made patches to make them RealPlume compatible so one can have the better smoke plumes together with the beautiful waterfall FX.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:40 AM, Knight of St John said:

So I'm working on a decent kerolox generator plume:

unknown.png unknown.png

but as you can see, the smoke is visible through the main plume.
Would you guys think this is still okay? or would you rather not have smoke in the generator plume, and just flames? it'd be unrealistic though.

For me this effect is showing through the craft as well. Don't know if it's just me though. 

6 hours ago, dok_377 said:

For me this effect is showing through the craft as well. Don't know if it's just me though. 

my release doesn't have smoke in the generator plumes for these reasons.
Also, I believe the smoke showing through the craft itself is a bug that has been fixed by waterfall. Not sure if that fix is already released though.