[1.12.x] Stock Waterfall Effects (SWE) - A Waterfall config set for realistic rocket exhaust plumes for the stock engines

Knight of St John

2 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

isn't wolfhound supposed to be an AJ 10 what uses hypergolic fuel?

Yes. However, it's got way too high Isp for a hypergolic engine. And I'm basing the plumes off of the actual function in the game, rather than the real life counterpart if there's a conflict.

The new release is out!

Spoiler

Fp0oeZa.gif

Major changes in version 0.3.0:

• Now runs on waterfall 0.6.1 or higher. (Make sure to install the latest waterfall version)

• New engines configured:

• Bobcat
  • Cheetah
  • Dart
  • Kodiak
  • Mastodon
  • Skiff
  • Wolfhound

• New methalox plumes for the Terrier and Poodle.

• Engine lighting added to all configured engines.

• Light refraction effects added to all configured engines.

Thanks for the update! I just got a much better computer and my first save on it will be with this installed :D
I have a question though:

39 minutes ago, Knight of St John said:

• Engine lighting added to all configured engines.

Is this compatible with, or replace the functionality of, the Engine Lighting [Relit] mod (atleast for stock)?

3 minutes ago, Inqie said:

Is this compatible with, or replace the functionality of, the Engine Lighting [Relit] mod (atleast for stock)?

it would just display both. I'll make a quick release with a fix for that tomorrow that will disable engine lighting relit for the engines i've configured.

Suggestion: If it's possible (I know you had issues with smoky effects before), make the Mastodon's plume a little sootier, like that of the real F-1.

eande-f1-testfire.jpg

Thanks for your work on this mod, the plumes in 0.3 are excellent :)

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Just a note regarding ReStock - The Cheetah and Wolfhound engines aren't altered by ReStock (I don't think...) and changing the patches for them to eliminate the &!ReStock makes the nice plumes available to us ReStock users too! I don't think it introduces conflicts with other Waterfall-based mods, since I have most of them installed alongside that change...

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Suggestion: If it's possible (I know you had issues with smoky effects before), make the Mastodon's plume a little sootier, like that of the real F-1.

yea i tried that, but the alpha shaders in waterfall have really janky sorting. so the smoke mesh flickers on and off, and sometimes dissapears when you look at certain angles. it's a shame. when they get more stable i'll update.

30 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

and changing the patches for them to eliminate the &!ReStock makes the nice plumes available to us ReStock users too!

well, the right way to do that is to incorporate these plumes into WaterfallReStock. But since the cheetah and wolfhound are really hypergolic in real life, I doubt Nertea will opt for these hydrolox plumes.

2 hours ago, Bitrefresh said:

I love all of these, they look amazing and I think I'll start using these over realplume. I've seen the RCS effects that waterfall gives and much prefer those to the vanilla RCS effects, does this mod configure all stock RCS motors too?

Not yet, but it will. I'm still in the process of making the plumes.
give it another week or two, and you'll have your rcs plumes.

I'm not sure if this goes in the main Waterfall thread or in this thread, but when I installed waterfall+this config pack, weird things started happening.

On vessels I already had out in the world, some of my engines were getting unbound from their action groups, and nuclear engines were being given one of their shrouds on.

I've long since recovered the two craft that had weird things happen with their Cheetah engines coming unbound, but I DO have a quicksave for the nuclear engine shroud.

I'd encountered the shrouds reappearing ages ago when I experimented with ReStock, but this isn't behaving in the same way, at least not that I can see.

Without waterfall+config:
X73rEkE.png

after installing it:
ZJMwyF4.png

the shroud can't be jettisoned, hitting the jettison button does nothing, and the savefile shows nothing amiss like it did with ReStock renaming the jettisoned bits

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oWof0Ha9WHTDn_u9aTwrTybtrIH7P_NE/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Lupi

3 hours ago, Lupi said:

and nuclear engines were being given one of their shrouds on.

That sounds like it could be a bug on my side, and not waterfall.
I'll check the engine configs, maybe I screwed something up.
If it's not that, you should post this in waterfall.

About the unbinding of the engines: I have no idea what could cause that.

Edited by Knight of St John

FWIW I also had the NERV shroud problem. I think there were also some action group issues but those are a dime a dozen so I didn’t think waterfall could be implicated.

I wonder if it’s caused by some reshuffling of the part modules?