[1.12.x] Stock Waterfall Effects (SWE) - A Waterfall config set for realistic rocket exhaust plumes for the stock engines

Knight of St John

BugReport ( @Knight of St John ):

I noticed that on the Rhino (maybe some other engines too) the Engine-Active-Plume plays for a second after switching to the vessel in orbit, even if the engine should not fire as throttle is zero (as it always is after loading an orbiting vessel).

I could reproduce it with the latest (and the version before) of waterfall and Stock waterfall effect (actual version and version before). AP and PE do not change, so it's purely a graphical issue.

Can't tell if it's a waterfall or a configproblem. Maybe you want to look at it.

Installed Version KSP 1.11.2.

Edit:

Forget the posting... The reported bug is a KSP-Problem. I could finally reproduce  a minimal PE/AP-Change by switching to the KSC and the vessel repeatedly, so the beforementioned bug is not a waterfall bug, but a KSP bug, which is now just visualized by waterfalls big nice plumes even on low throttle. Sorry.

Edited by Rakete

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 9:43 PM, Snakedoctor15 said:

The update that just dropped revamped the LVT-30 and LVT-45 engines and broke the Waterfall effects.

There's a very easy DIY fix if you don't want to wait for official releases.

Go to GameData\StockWaterfallEffects\Engine Configurations, open Swivel.cfg and Reliant.cfg with notepad and on the very first line, add a _v2 on the engine name. The line should look like this:

@PART[liquidEngine2_v2]:NEEDS[Waterfall]:FOR[StockWaterfallEffects]
and
@PART[liquidEngine_v2]:NEEDS[Waterfall]:FOR[StockWaterfallEffects]

In my opinion, the effect looks ok in both engines without need to tweak any configurations

22 minutes ago, Feellikeapple said:

i noticed on almost all of the engines except on the nuclear engine. theres a purple box on it, it wasnt there before i installed this mod, is there a fix for it?https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g2XP2bw0BI1a1UgSSWeMwnT_3w9VYw7C/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16tu9mY0Sokm77IM_v1OKzPEI-0GPT4Kq/view?usp=sharing

Drive links don't work.

The Rapier plumes are absolutely gorgeous! But...when I put more than two of them on a craft, my sim-speed and fps DROP dramatically. Looking at the rapier config via the in-game GUI, there are A LOT of effects going on here at once compared to other engines. Like 16 per engine! (I'm guessing 4 per nozzle?) Is there any way to tidy up their effects and/or memory usage? That really starts to add up when some of us have SSTO's that use like 6-16 rapiers at once!

I've tried messing with the config via the gui... but I am just a simpleton. Help!

For now I've just moved the Rapier.cfg out of the waterfall folder, which reverts the engine plume back to stock. (Giving me back my sweet, sweet frames.) I love the waterfall rapiers', quadruple pink shock diamonds! But I wonder if there's a less graphics intensive way of seeing them, or if maybe they could be reduced to one plume per engine? If anyone has their own guidance, or maybe their own plume config file, it would be much appreciated!

On 8/4/2021 at 2:43 AM, Snakedoctor15 said:

The update that just dropped revamped the LVT-30 and LVT-45 engines and broke the Waterfall effects.

I'm working on the performance update for waterfall at the moment. when I finish that, ill do a quick update to fix the swivel and reliant plumes.

On 8/16/2021 at 7:24 AM, Feellikeapple said:

i noticed on almost all of the engines except on the nuclear engine. theres a purple box on it, it wasnt there before i installed this mod, is there a fix for it?https://imgur.com/a/UefS8vU

Oh that doesn't look good.
There appears to be a broken/missing shader there. I'll take a look at it, but would you mind giving me a list of the engines you notice this with?
Also make sure you have the latest versions of waterfall and SWE please.

On 8/17/2021 at 7:39 AM, jonathan_92 said:

The Rapier plumes are absolutely gorgeous! But...when I put more than two of them on a craft, my sim-speed and fps DROP dramatically. Looking at the rapier config via the in-game GUI, there are A LOT of effects going on here at once compared to other engines. Like 16 per engine! (I'm guessing 4 per nozzle?) Is there any way to tidy up their effects and/or memory usage? That really starts to add up when some of us have SSTO's that use like 6-16 rapiers at once!

I've tried messing with the config via the gui... but I am just a simpleton. Help!

For now I've just moved the Rapier.cfg out of the waterfall folder, which reverts the engine plume back to stock. (Giving me back my sweet, sweet frames.) I love the waterfall rapiers', quadruple pink shock diamonds! But I wonder if there's a less graphics intensive way of seeing them, or if maybe they could be reduced to one plume per engine? If anyone has their own guidance, or maybe their own plume config file, it would be much appreciated!

Yep. that plume is a monster, and should be updated.
which is what I'm working on at the moment, along with a bunch of other performance updates.

27 minutes ago, Knight of St John said:

I'm working on the performance update for waterfall at the moment. when I finish that, ill do a quick update to fix the swivel and reliant plumes.

There appears to be a broken/missing shader there. I'll take a look at it, but would you mind giving me a list of the engines you notice this with?

which is what I'm working on at the moment, along with a bunch of other performance updates.

Thank you for taking the time good sir!

On 8/23/2021 at 5:37 AM, Knight of St John said:

almost every engine except the nuclear as far as i know. the ones i checked include the poodle, terrier, relient, swivel, mammoth, vector, mainsail, skipper and nuclear

On 8/27/2021 at 10:52 PM, flart said:

how to add waterfall effects to the cheetah on the game with restock and waterfall-restock?
adding only StockWaterfallEffects/.../Cheetah.cfg doesn't work - there is no effect of cheetah, and waterfall gui make exceptions
ksp.log https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alncj27YxKc-h3ta4Ej3HrJUX3pr

if you wanna get into modding with waterfall yourself, i sugest you start reading the waterfall guide first.
Also, it might be that Waterfall Restock gives the cheetah a plume, and that the Stock Waterfall Effects plume is disabled.

I just updated the mod. now compatible with 1.12.2.

• updated to KSP version 1.12.2
  • added plumes to the new reliant and swivel models
  • slightly improved lag for the Rapier air breathing mode. (more optimizations to come)

All of the plumes are working fine for me on my bare install of SWE. this means no other mods except Waterfall, SWE and module manager.
If plumes are still malfunctioning, please inform me. It might be caused by another mod, or the Waterfall base mod not being updated to its last version.

Edited by Knight of St John

22 hours ago, Knight of St John said:

I just updated the mod. now compatible with 1.12.2.

• updated to KSP version 1.12.2
  • added plumes to the new reliant and swivel models
  • slightly improved lag for the Rapier air breathing mode. (more optimizations to come)

All of the plumes are working fine for me on my bare install of SWE. this means no other mods except Waterfall, SWE and module manager.
If plumes are still malfunctioning, please inform me. It might be caused by another mod, or the Waterfall base mod not being updated to its last version.

Is your patch for the old swivel and the old reliant engine (pre 1.12) still included in the actual release for legacy crafts, or should the user extract these from the last SWE release?

5 hours ago, Rakete said:

Is your patch for the old swivel and the old reliant engine (pre 1.12) still included in the actual release for legacy crafts, or should the user extract these from the last SWE release?

It's still included as "swivel_depricated" and "reliant_depricated" config files.
this way the mod is backwards compatible to 1.11.

Cool plumes.  How did you change the atmospheric pressure for the GIF in the OP

By the way, feel free to crop this screenshot and use it in the OP if you'd like to.

ukf8x1i.png

For comparison, ReStock Waterfall below (with this mod still installed), RealPlume and stock:

Spoiler

Notice the smoke - not sure if it's realistic or not and whether it's for the better or worse but only some engines have it. Also, the ReStock config doesn't add plumes to jet engines, Thud and Aerospike as mentioned above and maybe some other engines.

AbT1guS.png

Here's RealPlume:

FbqUYKv.jpeg

And here's stock:

oBS3k4A.jpeg

Jet engines in dry mode and 2 engines on the far right in wet mode

sxcQvsJ.png

I've also found a few config issues with jet engines @Knight of St John

Spoiler

Reverse thrust modes for jet engines (Wheesley and Goliath) look broken. As you can see, the usual plumes rotated backwards are misplaced, and the rotating animation doesn't look right either if you looked at it (the plume literally rotates in place), especially for Goliath, as its reverse plume (or should I say exhaust) starts where you see the cursor instead of where the turbine opening is.

The plumes shouldn't rotate at all. The active plume/exhaust should fade out, maybe not completely and the reversed one should fade in from all sides.

kdR1xLg.png

And here's something RAPIER did once but I can't reproduce it: This is caused by this mod's config applying to ReStocked RAPIERs:

58UdubB.png

Edited by Krzeszny

Back to the ReStock compatibility issue, could this mod be configured to complement the ReStock Waterfall config, so it overwrites all engines ReStock doesn't remodel? That would include Thud, Aerospike and all jet engines.

It's really hard to decide between awesome plumes and part reskins when you can't have both :P

Edited by Krzeszny

18 minutes ago, Krzeszny said:

Back to the ReStock compatibility issue, could this mod be configured to complement the ReStock Waterfall config, so it overwrites all engines ReStock doesn't remodel? That would include Thud, Aerospike and all jet engines.

It's really hard to decide between awesome plumes and part reskins when you can't have both :P

I think it already does. 

On 9/1/2021 at 3:09 AM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I think it already does. 

Looks like you're right (EDIT: but not completely). The MM patches from this mod don't mention the ReStock config  (EDIT: and RAPIER has a misplaced effect because ReStock overrides the model but not the config).

What I'd change though is adding some info that they're in fact compatible.

Personally, I think the plumes from this mod look better (esp. the vacuum engines like Terrier and Poodle) but exchanging them doesn't seem easy.

Edited by Krzeszny
It's not completely compatible