[1.12.x] Stock Waterfall Effects (SWE) - A Waterfall config set for realistic rocket exhaust plumes for the stock engines

Knight of St John

On 8/25/2022 at 2:12 PM, Space Scumbag said:

So I made a video:

Yea, I'm subscribed, so I noticed. Thank you for the free advertisement :D

On 8/25/2022 at 6:23 AM, Somecallmesteve said:

I was wondering on how to add a plume to an engine. I want to add the upperstage hypergolic plume to the Terrier, Wolfhound, and Cheetah since they are based off hypergolic engines. However, I was a little intimidated when opening the cfg files. With time I'll figure out, or discover that there is an easier way of doing it.

But in the mean time, may as well ask this: Is there a way to add an option to these engines to switch between their cryogenic propellants and their hypergolic propellants like what you did with the Vector and the Mammoth?

Yes, there is, and you can do it it mostly through config file editing, and a little bit of scaling of the templates in the in-game waterfall editor (top right corner).
You just have to look at how I configured the vector with multiple templates, then do the same thing to the terrier, and after that, go in-game and rescale/move the new template so it fits to the terrier engine bell.

Edited by Knight of St John

On 8/30/2022 at 7:06 PM, Knight of St John said:

Yea, I'm subscribed, so I noticed. Thank you for the free advertisement :D

Yes, there is, and you can do it it mostly through config file editing, and a little bit of scaling of the templates in the in-game waterfall editor (top right corner).
You just have to look at how I configured the vector with multiple templates, then do the same thing to the terrier, and after that, go in-game and rescale/move the new template so it fits to the terrier engine bell.

Sweet. I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

3 hours ago, Somecallmesteve said:

I think I encountered a problem on the dark side of the Mun. I believe this also occurs around Minmus.

Further testing is required.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lxHtm1YUB9UYexsiOYC0idEaNGuUCvyd/view?usp=sharing

Fixed it. Had to readjust some mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I have been using Waterfall, Scatterer, and EVE for a long time and yesterday I installed Stock Waterfall Effects to get better engine plumes.  Installed everything via CKAN.  I got the plumes ok and was a happy kamper on Duna and Ike, but when I returned to Kerbin it looked stock from orbit.  No atmosphere.  As I got closer clouds appeared but they were not connected to the ground and looked like they were just another layer added over the planet.  After coming down into the atmosphere everything looked normal again with the clouds and sky looking ok.  The same after landing. 

All these mods are with stock configs, so I'm guessing that something got messed up, but what? 

EDIT:  This only happened the first time I orbited Kerbin and has not happened since.  Dunno why it happened at all but am happy all is normal.

Edited by miklkit
fixed itself

• 2 weeks later...

The folks over at Real Plume and Waterfall Core have directed me here with this bug, and I can confirm it is definitely caused by the Waterfall Stock plumes. The RAPIER engine has a very noticeable 'gap" between the engine and the actual plume, and I'm wondering if the creator of this mod could possibly fix this? Thanks.

unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

1 minute ago, Clayel said:

The folks over at Real Plume and Waterfall Core have directed me here with this bug, and I can confirm it is definitely caused by the Waterfall Stock plumes. The RAPIER engine has a very noticeable 'gap" between the engine and the actual plume, and I'm wondering if the creator of this mod could possibly fix this? Thanks.

Please include your log file.  It looks like you're using Restock, in which case you should be using WaterfallRestock instead: https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/WaterfallRestock/releases

2 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Please include your log file.  It looks like you're using Restock, in which case you should be using WaterfallRestock instead: https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/WaterfallRestock/releases

I am using Waterfall Restock as well. Can you tell me how to find my log file? I'm new to this stuff.

20 minutes ago, Clayel said:

I am using Waterfall Restock as well. Can you tell me how to find my log file? I'm new to this stuff.

KSP Logs

Ah, it looks like WaterfallRestock doesn't actually have a config for rapiers, so it's falling back to the one from StockWaterfallEffects.  But still, I'd say that it's up to WaterfallRestock to configure that plume correctly, not StockWaterfallEffects.

Edited by JonnyOThan

8 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

KSP Logs

Ah, it looks like WaterfallRestock doesn't actually have a config for rapiers, so it's falling back to the one from StockWaterfallEffects.  But still, I'd say that it's up to WaterfallRestock to configure that plume correctly, not StockWaterfallEffects.

Should I bring this problem to Waterfall Restock then? Or...

15 hours ago, JonnyOThan said:

That would be my suggestion, yes

Just checked, and there is no forum page for Waterfall Restock. The CKAN link leads to the Waterfall core forum, and I haven't found anything by searching.

On 10/10/2022 at 1:52 AM, Clayel said:

unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

Yes, this has been always the case for restock textured rapiers.
I think I can probably fix this... but it's more a matter of finding time and motivation for me haha.

2 hours ago, Knight of St John said:

Yes, this has been always the case for restock textured rapiers.
I think I can probably fix this... but it's more a matter of finding time and motivation for me haha.

I will pay you a hefty sum of $0.00 to fix this bug. :D

Edited by Clayel

• 2 weeks later...

@Knight of St John

Tested your newest configs in combination with Scatterer's newest version

can confirm: The issue to be seen here has not been fixed.

wK4Fy8C.png

First reported here: 

I understood your post here, in a way, that the newest configs would contain a fix. So maybe, if you like,  you may want to have a look at the issue again? Reverted to SMAA for scatterer and Stock waterfall effect 0.5.2

Waterfall framework is the newest one installed.

Edited by Rakete

• 2 weeks later...

nasa-high-speed-apollo-11-launch-lead-imeande-f1-testfire.jpg  So this  is a suggestion, ik you have struggled with the smokey things But i have Seen that in Ro waterfall its possible to do the F-1 plume and where it explodes up before getting sucked back in, so you Think its possible you could maybe get some help from the Ro waterfall team 

Edited by CalvonVulcan

On 11/3/2022 at 7:03 AM, geostationary_coffee said:

On Linux engine and RCS plumes are still visie through the engine bell/craft body. I have both the latest version of SWE and waterfall installed

In case it helps, this issue was already there under Waterfall 0.7.1 with Stock Waterfall Effects 0.6.2 (see picture below). Didn't test earlier versions so far. 

I'm on Linux using KSP 1.12.4.

KSP-Forum-2022-11-05.png

• 2 weeks later...

Causes an issue in the Tutorial "Go for Orbit". I've tested all mods; this is the one that makes it a problem trying to stay "on course" every time. Even with all assists and the changed "Target" mode on to do everything for me, this mod somehow affects it and makes me fail every time in the beginning ascent.

What's the reason for this?