[1.12.x] Stock Waterfall Effects (SWE) - A Waterfall config set for realistic rocket exhaust plumes for the stock engines

Knight of St John

On 4/1/2022 at 3:13 AM, xD-FireStriker said:

Does this have any configs that the restock version doesn't have yet? 

As I understand it, the Making History titan rocket engines have not been revamped for Restock yet (who knows if that'll ever happen) and those two engines- the Bobcat and the Cheetah- only have waterfall configs available here.

On 4/1/2022 at 2:13 AM, xD-FireStriker said:

Does this have any configs that the restock version doesn't have yet? 

Related to that, what happens if this is installed alongside Waterfall - Restock as-is? There's obviously some overlap, so which config's effects end up loading?

I was wondering if someone could help me.  It seems that this mod overrides JetSoundsContinued.  Jet engines have their stock sounds.  I verified on a clean install of KSP 1.12.3 with only these two mods installed.  In the logs, for example, if I search for rapier I get the following:

229: Load(Audio): JetSoundsUpdated/Sounds/RAPIER_Fan_High 
  232: Load(Audio): JetSoundsUpdated/Sounds/RAPIER_Fan_Low 
  235: Load(Audio): JetSoundsUpdated/Sounds/RAPIER_Rocket_High 
  238: Load(Audio): JetSoundsUpdated/Sounds/RAPIER_Rocket_Low 
  241: Load(Audio): JetSoundsUpdated/Sounds/RAPIER_Shutdown 
  244: Load(Audio): JetSoundsUpdated/Sounds/RAPIER_Startup 
 1849: Load(Texture): Squad/Parts/@thumbs/RAPIER_icon 
 2929: Load(Texture): Squad/Parts/Engine/rapierEngine/rapierDiffuse 
 2932: Load(Texture): Squad/Parts/Engine/rapierEngine/rapieremit 
 6181: Load(Model): Squad/Parts/Engine/rapierEngine/rapier 
 8404: Config(@PART[RAPIER]) JetSoundsUpdated/Patches/RAPIER/@PART[RAPIER] 
 8407: Config(@PART[RAPIER]:NEEDS[!RealPlume]) JetSoundsUpdated/Patches/RAPIER/@PART[RAPIER]:NEEDS[!RealPlume] 
 8410: Config(@PART[RAPIER]:AFTER[zzRealPlume]) JetSoundsUpdated/Patches/RAPIER/@PART[RAPIER]:AFTER[zzRealPlume] 
10564: Config(PART) Squad/Parts/Engine/rapierEngine/rapierEngine/RAPIER 
12568: Config(@PART[RAPIER]:NEEDS[Waterfall]:FOR[StockWaterfallEffects]) StockWaterfallEffects/Engine Configurations/Rapier/@PART[RAPIER]:NEEDS[Waterfall]:FOR[StockWaterfallEffects] 
12691: Config(EFFECTTEMPLATE) StockWaterfallEffects/Templates/Stock/Engine Bell Cores/stock-methalox-core-rapier/EFFECTTEMPLATE 
12700: Config(EFFECTTEMPLATE) StockWaterfallEffects/Templates/Stock/Engine Bell Cores/stock-rapier-core/EFFECTTEMPLATE 
12787: Config(EFFECTTEMPLATE) StockWaterfallEffects/Templates/Stock/Plumes/stock-methalox-lower-2-rapier/EFFECTTEMPLATE 
13462: Added   : StockWaterfallEffects/Engine Configurations/Rapier.cfg
13497: Added   : StockWaterfallEffects/Templates/Stock/Engine Bell Cores/stock-methalox-core-rapier.cfg
13500: Added   : StockWaterfallEffects/Templates/Stock/Engine Bell Cores/stock-rapier-core.cfg
13529: Added   : StockWaterfallEffects/Templates/Stock/Plumes/stock-methalox-lower-2-rapier.cfg
13631: [LOG 13:21:41.784] Deleting root node in file JetSoundsUpdated/Patches/RAPIER node: @PART[RAPIER]:AFTER[zzRealPlume] as it can't satisfy its AFTER
13646: [LOG 13:21:42.085] Applying update JetSoundsUpdated/Patches/RAPIER/@PART[RAPIER] to Squad/Parts/Engine/rapierEngine/rapierEngine.cfg/PART[RAPIER]
13647: [LOG 13:21:42.089] Applying update JetSoundsUpdated/Patches/RAPIER/@PART[RAPIER]:NEEDS[!RealPlume] to Squad/Parts/Engine/rapierEngine/rapierEngine.cfg/PART[RAPIER]
13696: [LOG 13:21:42.129] Applying update StockWaterfallEffects/Engine Configurations/Rapier/@PART[RAPIER]:NEEDS[Waterfall]:FOR[StockWaterfallEffects] to Squad/Parts/Engine/rapierEngine/rapierEngine.cfg/PART[RAPIER]
15652: PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Engine/rapierEngine/rapierEngine/RAPIER' 
15655: PartLoader: Part 'Squad/Parts/Engine/rapierEngine/rapierEngine/RAPIER' has no database record. Creating. 
15661: DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'RAPIER' 

From this info, does it make sense why? 

6 hours ago, jfjohnny5 said:

Related to that, what happens if this is installed alongside Waterfall - Restock as-is? There's obviously some overlap, so which config's effects end up loading?

Taking the Mainsail as an example, the Stock Waterfall Effects patch has "FOR[StockWaterfallEffects]", whereas Waterfall Restock has "FOR[WaterfallRestock]". As I understand it, this means that the patch from Waterfall Restock loads after the patch from Stock Waterfall Effects (due to alphabetical order).

Waterfall Restock's patch removes the "EFFECTS" module and "ModuleWaterfallFX" module that were added by SWE and replaces them with its own.

Assuming this holds true for all the parts, it seems that Waterfall Restock will take precedence over SWE. But SWE's effects will remain for any parts that aren't covered by Waterfall Restock. 

16 hours ago, Fabled_Mike said:

58UdubB.pngwhy is this happening and how can i fix it?

I am using the restock confing for waterfall. 

It’s happening because WaterfallRestock still lacks a configuration for the RAPIER. You can fix it in several ways:

- Disable the StockWaterfallEffects patch for the RAPIER, either by deleting the relevant configuration from this mod or adding :NEEDS[!ReStock] to all the patches within.

- Edit the offset and scale of the plume until it looks right to you, first by finding the correct numbers in the Waterfall editor ingame, then either replacing them in the configuration file of this mod or by patching it with another cfg file with :AFTER[StockWaterfallEffects] at the beginning of each relevant patch. Note that both the air-breathing and closed-cycle modes of the engine will require modification in this way.

The first options are generally more easy to follow, but I prefer writing the patches to disable or rescale and reposition the SWE plume because they don’t need to be redone whenever I update the mod.

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently started playing KSP again, and have decided to try and figure out which of my mods were killing my FPS the most. It came down to me comparing both Realplume and Waterfall. So I reinstalled KSP from scratch, and then got the FPS benchmarks on the launchpad and in flight for vanilla, then realplume, and finally waterfall. The results were a bit confusing, and somewhat odd after taking into account some of what I have read in this topic.

The test was run on an Intel i9 @ 4.40GHZ with 64BG of RAM and a 3070 TI GPU. I also ran the same tests on my editing PC which is nearly the same but with a 3080 TI and the variance in the results were about the same.

KSP 1.12.3 - Making History 1.12.1 - Breaking Ground 1.7.1

I was using the stock Acapello 158 part craft in each test

What surprised me the most was how much of an FPS hit I received with waterfall installed, while the rocket was still on the launchpad with the engines off. I was seeing a significant FPS loss under those circumstances compared to the realplume install. I used both the NVIDIA FPS counter, as well as the KSP performance monitor to get the FPS, so there was sometimes a small difference between the two as one is slightly ahead of the other, but only by a couple frames.

Sharing the strange results here. I am especially curious as to why I am getting such a large FPS hit when my crafts engines are off.

Edit: Also I figured I should mention that these Waterfall configs are beautiful though.

No mods - Base game with Making History and Breaking Ground installed @ 2560x1440 resolution
LAUNCH Pad (Engines off) 96-119 FPS
FLIGHT 75-94 FPS

Base game with Making History and Breaking Ground installed + Real Plume @ 2560x1440 resolution
Launch Pad (Engines off) 92-108 FPS
Flight 66-88 FPS

Base game with Making History and Breaking Ground installed + Waterfall @ 2560x1440 resolution
Launch Pad (Engines off) 68-77 FPS
Flight 48-71 FPS

No Mods - Launch Pad

QKxnEp1.jpg

No Mods - Flight

Zuv39U2.jpg

RealPlume - Launch Pad

9dw0eZc.jpg

RealPlume - Flight

fZanlWe.jpg

Waterfall - Launch Pad

LaP0vXk.jpg

Waterfall - Flight

6Tcv7O9.jpg

Edited by Hudsonkm

Hello! I am having this problem after the update that added the new methalox and Stratzenblitz plumes. The Hydrolox and Methalox plumes can be seen not only through the engine bell, but also through other parts. I am running KSP on Mac, not Linux. Should I post it here or in the main Waterfall thread?
yFYoPOj.png

Here, plumes can be seen through engine bells and the orange tank. Weirdly, this doesn't happen with the Stratz Plume, as you may notice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys! 
So I need some help, I made a space station with RCS, download the stock waterfall effects, (latest version, with support for RCS) and the RCS plumes have turned into solid purple blocks 
screenshot68.png (1920×1080)

Please help, the version is 1.12.3, as I said, latest waterfall module, the normal engine plumes work fine, and I do have some mods, but the RCS is stock, and ONLY the stock RCS has the purple strange plumes. Please help.

On 5/14/2022 at 6:39 PM, Kasyan said:

Hello! I am having this problem after the update that added the new methalox and Stratzenblitz plumes. The Hydrolox and Methalox plumes can be seen not only through the engine bell, but also through other parts. I am running KSP on Mac, not Linux. Should I post it here or in the main Waterfall thread?
yFYoPOj.png

Here, plumes can be seen through engine bells and the orange tank. Weirdly, this doesn't happen with the Stratz Plume, as you may notice.

Have seen this also on the vector engine bells and just reverted to an older config of this mod.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 11:13 AM, Rakete said:

Have seen this also on the vector engine bells and just reverted to an older config of this mod.

Where do I find an older config? Could you please share a link? Thanks for the tip, by the way!

1 hour ago, Kasyan said:

Where do I find an older config? Could you please share a link? Thanks for the tip, by the way!

On Knights github page (linked in the first post of this thread) , where you download the newest config. Just scroll down and pick an older release. I use the 0.5.2 release, i believe. It looks a bit more pleasing to me. With the newer releases I had engine plumes glow outside of the engine bells, which looked strange. Also I liked the pink Nerv-Plumes better, since they matched the plumes of Nertea's Kerbal Atomics engines better. 

Edited by Rakete

If I may, I have an idea for the Cheetah and the Wolfhound.

I understand that due to their high ISP, they are hydrolox engines here. However, after seeing what you did with the Vector engine after you updated that plume to have multiple options; you may know where I am going with this.

Is it possible to update the Cheetah and Wolfhound to have the option to be either hydrolox or hypergolic in the same way you made the Vector either hydrolox or methalox?

On 6/21/2022 at 3:18 PM, Rakete said:

On Knights github page (linked in the first post of this thread) , where you download the newest config. Just scroll down and pick an older release. I use the 0.5.2 release, i believe. It looks a bit more pleasing to me. With the newer releases I had engine plumes glow outside of the engine bells, which looked strange. Also I liked the pink Nerv-Plumes better, since they matched the plumes of Nertea's Kerbal Atomics engines better. 

Ok, thanks! I don't want to insult Knight or anything, but the pink plumes looked way cooler.

Edited by Kasyan

2 hours ago, Kasyan said:

Ok, thanks! I don't want to insult Knight or anything, but the pink plumes looked way cooler.

Don't think, he'll feel insulted. Taste differs - it always has been and always will. For me it was the issues of glowing outside and and the fantastatic pink plume, that fitted perfectly to another nuclear engine mod's plumes. Yes, the newer plumes are more correct physically, but it's a game: Choose what you like. You can also download the newest release and replace the nerva plume with one config from an older release. Just mix and match as you like. 

Knight did a fantastic job creating these eye candy things ! Thank you sooo soo much!

On 6/24/2022 at 6:28 PM, Rakete said:

Don't think, he'll feel insulted. Taste differs - it always has been and always will. For me it was the issues of glowing outside and and the fantastatic pink plume, that fitted perfectly to another nuclear engine mod's plumes. Yes, the newer plumes are more correct physically, but it's a game: Choose what you like. You can also download the newest release and replace the nerva plume with one config from an older release. Just mix and match as you like. 

Knight did a fantastic job creating these eye candy things ! Thank you sooo soo much!

He did! Without him, KSP would look so much uglier! Actually, I like the Cherenkov glow a lot, I'll probably try to tweak stuff myself.

On 5/14/2022 at 6:39 PM, Kasyan said:

yFYoPOj.png

I've seen this with other people as well. are you playing on windows or linux?

On 6/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, Rakete said:

same question for you.  Trying to figure out where this bug originates.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:32 PM, Knight of St John said:

I've seen this with other people as well. are you playing on windows or linux?

same question for you.  Trying to figure out where this bug originates.

Win 10 21H2, Ksp 1.12.3

On 6/30/2022 at 12:40 AM, Rakete said:

Win 10 21H2, Ksp 1.12.3

okay.
could you please check if this also occurs on a clean install of the game, with just SWE, modulemanager, b9partswitch and waterfall installed?
if that "fixes" it, please find out through a process of elimination which other mod you had installed makes the bug come back.

without this information, I can't really do much to help.

On 7/2/2022 at 1:02 AM, Rakete said:

Happened also with a clean install. This was the first thing i tried out.

okay. well done.
final thing I would like you to check (maybe you already have) is if having Scatterer mod installed makes any difference.
I've noticed that certain bugs are "fixed" when you also have Scatterer, for some unknown reason.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:57 PM, Rakete said:

I don't have scatterer, as it hards relatively hard on my FPS.

yes, but can you please install it, just for testing?
it's possible that it fixes your issue, and that would tell me a lot about how to fix the bug on my own.
after testing, you can just uninstall it again of course. I just need someone with the bug to see if Scatterer somehow influences it.

Alright everyone,
For those suffering from this bug:

On 6/28/2022 at 10:32 PM, Knight of St John said:

yFYoPOj.png

I've found a temporary fix for you: Enable anti-aliasing in your graphics settings.
I'm still looking into what exactly is causing it though.

For people having an issue with plumes not being visible at night, installing Scatterer seems to fix that issue.
I'm also looking into this bug.