Drilling lander keeps exploding coming out of time warp.

Hello! Just signed up, and have almost 300 hours logged on KSP-Steam. 

I have practically had all my questions thus answered via general queries on G**gle  for the last few months that I have been addicted to KSP.

However, I can't seem to find an answer to a repeating problem I am having with a probe lander equipped with drills. The darns thing will randomly explode on me when either coming out of time warp, or switching to it via tracking station. It was just happening on Minmus surface, but it's happened in flight as well. I am chocking it up to a possible design or object collision/collider issue. I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen as well? I usually end  up loading my save back and can make progress until the next random detonation. 

Regards..

i had a similar problem that was caused by overheating. during time warp heat is handled in a different matter. not sure on the specifics, but all the heat produced would not dissipate fast enough, and as soon as i got out of time warp, the poor part would suddenly feel all that, and it would explode. using the radiator panels avoided this. if your probe has no radiator panels, i would put this as the most likely reason.

1 hour ago, DeltaSigma said:

I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen as well? 

Unfortunately, yes. This is a glitch that had annoyed players and eluded the devs trying to solve it for years.  It has to do with how the parts are handled when loading the craft

This means you are probably not getting a definitive solution for the problem. However there is quite a long list of of measures people come up to alleviate it. Hopefully alleviate enough to it become a minor annoyance at worst.

My suggestion is that you provide some pictures of the vessel that keep exploding  so we can see if there is some obvious trigger making it more vulnerable. 

3 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

i had a similar problem that was caused by overheating.

well, may be happening that too, but AFAIK it don't explain the instances where craft explode when switching from the tracking station.

This happens to me too. Some times the vessel explodes in part or in totality, other times certain parts get extremely hot but survive. The latter is how you know it's a heat problem. I find that it helps to turn down the time warp gradually, and also to take cool-down breaks partway through.

On 2/14/2021 at 1:49 AM, DeltaSigma said:

I am having with a probe lander equipped with drills. The darns thing will randomly explode on me when either coming out of time warp, or switching to it via tracking station. It was just happening on Minmus surface, but it's happened in flight as well

Does your lander have ore containers in symmetry around the outside?

D.

I will figure out how to do images in the near future.. I think there is something to Daveroski's reply. I have two symmetry groups of holding tanks radially attached to the vessel. That's where the explosion seems to happen! Ironically enough, the ore holding tanks have an explosion warning label on them.. LOL! I may move/remove some and see what happens.

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

I have been having the same problem, except i get the on screen messege of "Aprroaching g-limits!" then bam, a part explodes. It happens loading from tracking station, and on landed vessels. I placed a brand new satellite via the cheat menu, went to the tracking station and back, and it does the same thing. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.