[1.11.x]Ore Engines--Adds engines that are fed on ore.[Sorta... abandoned]

CFYL

The "Ore Engines" Mod is mainly a parts mod that adds ore engines to the game. Aside from full compilation into the stock tech tree, it is also compatible with CTT.

Partlist

LV-Q75 "Squid" Ore Engine.

LV-Q150 "Octopus" Ore Engine.

FL-Q series ore tanks. (5 in total)

Bonus features

CTT support!

Dependency

Module manager is required for Ore Engines to work, which is not included in the download.

Community Tech Tree is supported.

Download from SpaceDock

Download from github: link.

Source at github: link.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Edited by CFYL
v1.0 released on 2021/2/15

As a matter of fact, I got the idea from a film that I saw some time ago:

u=2504086015,2017232920&fm=26&gp=0.jpg

The wandering earth. Those in-film engiens were, say, a bit too overpowered to imagine... pretty Kerbal though.

Probs pretty low, here is the thing, ISP is a function of exhaust velocity, Because ore is so heavy, at the same temp, it moves slower than Oxidiser or whatever the hell Liquid fuel is when heated to the same temp. faster exhaust vel = better ISP, Thats why Ions and nukes have high ISP, because they accelearate the particles much faster than chemical engines.

23 hours ago, Turf said:

A missed opportunity to call them "Ore-ngine"

But I'm curious about the ISP of the engines, since this engine eliminates the need for ISRU, and ore being cheaper than liquid fuel and oxidizer....

11 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

Probs pretty low, here is the thing, ISP is a function of exhaust velocity, Because ore is so heavy, at the same temp, it moves slower than Oxidiser or whatever the hell Liquid fuel is when heated to the same temp. faster exhaust vel = better ISP, Thats why Ions and nukes have high ISP, because they accelearate the particles much faster than chemical engines.

All right, besides setting Isp to values like 400~, I also set heat production to 1000~. As for the larger one, heat production is 6000. (Although I have no idea what this does, I assume it results in a higher temp)

Interesting. It's nice to see uses for the ore resource explored more. For a point of comparison, the Stockalike Mining Extension mod has mass drivers that rapidly shoot small particles of ore at high velocity, consuming quite a lot of electrical power to give thrust and Isp somewhere between the nuclear and ion engines.

7 hours ago, AllenLi said:

All right, besides setting Isp to values like 400~, I also set heat production to 1000~. As for the larger one, heat production is 6000. (Although I have no idea what this does, I assume it results in a higher temp)

Heat production values over about 450 will eventually make an engine explode from prolonged running in vacuum. A value of 6000 is a bit extreme I think, but should still be manageable with stock radiators, which would probably already be installed on an ore-carrying craft for mining. Normally parts that are twice as big have four times as much stats like thrust and weight, so I'd recommend setting the large engine to 4000 if the small one will be 1000.

Edited by Rocket Witch

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

As stated in CParts thread, I'm back alive for modding! Visual improvements and more features may come in!

Spoiler

But they may also be put off for several times like KSP2. It all depends.

I use Wings3D for modelling and Paint.net for texturing. My first parts were made according to a tutorial which used Wing3D so I just kept on using it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.