Multiplayer idea (for lack of a better title idea)

What do you think of my idea? Please comment why you think what you do!  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of my idea? Please comment why you think what you do!

• Great!
    • Good but needs some work
    • Meh
    • Bad idea
    • Terrible!

So I had an idea for multiplayer (did you really? its only in the title, tag and first sentence!:wink:)

So this would be for a large multiplayer server, maybe the main one. Everyone starts in their own solar system, gradually building their way up to interstellar travel. People can send trading envoys, and establish relations, working together to build up a galactic civilization. No one has  to join, it just makes your journey easier.

The people you can communicate with (i.e chat) are people inside your antenna range. You can have colonies anywhere and spread your kerbals out, but in a race or in coordination with fellow players. 

Personally I see it as this. The best players would slowly gravitate toward the center, either naturally or by quests and other incentives, while the old systems are cleaned and used for newer server members. People could join, and send out their broadcasts into interstellar space, inviting people, sending them away, or just yelling into the void. Then as they got experience they would join the cycle of civilizations. The planets would have variable resources, encouraging trade for rare materials and energy sources. The people could trade with each other, you could work together on ambitious projects, or just fly around and have a good time.

I don't know how well this would actually work, and I don't have any answer for the main multiplayer problems, but I will say that the idea is very interesting and would be very fun to try out.

This is not Elite Dangerous, interstellar travel is not an easy feat should require adequate planning and a proper build up gameplay-wise.

Probably it will be far past end-game content for a sizable chunk of the community and too slow for any multiplayer interaction to be based on it.

You're basically condemning most of the player to a solitary single player experience with a tiny probability of being visited by some other player.

1 minute ago, Master39 said:

This is not Elite Dangerous, interstellar travel is not an easy feat should require adequate planning and a proper build up gameplay-wise.

Probably it will be far past end-game content for a sizable chunk of the community and too slow for any multiplayer interaction to be based on it.

You're basically condemning most of the player to a solitary single player experience with a tiny probability of being visited by some other player.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a MMO space "simulator" that is just a ridiculous si-fi multiplayer game. The lack of knowledge we have about the difficulties of interstellar travel makes stuff like this difficult to speculate about.

However I was keeping the forums in mind when I said this. The skill at KSP we all have seems to indicate that this may be a fun in-game version of the forums.

If the server is going to have an overarching goal for players or groups of players to race toward as an objective I think we will need more information about the game as a whole to speculate on how such a competition/interaction could work. Depending on the management systems implemented to account for how the single player experience will be managed with large scale projects while still being feasible will really shape what we can/can't do in this realm. There are just too many unanswered questions at this point.

For instance:

• How will resource management be handled? (will trade be a possibility?)
  • What will colony expansion really look like and what resources will it depend on?
  • What resources are even in the game?
  • How many players will be allowed on 1 server?
  • How will long duration spaceflight work in multiplayer?
  • How big will the universe be and can that be changed?

Just to name a couple off the top of my head

We know so many little factoids about this game beyond KSP 1 but mostly its all fluff and we know so little overall in what the game actually is or what it looks like. We know that planetary rings will be volumetric with asteroids in them but we have no idea how launch automation will function. We know that kerbals will bob around in their seats but no clue to how colonies expand other than "boom events". We know there will be binary planets but only know "there will be some form of automation" in respect to wondering how a person can manage a space program at such a vast scale with such fine and nuanced control.

TL;DR it seems hard to even try to speculate on what activities we could do in multiplayer when we don't really even know what the game is.

Edited by mcwaffles2003

The problem is time. You’ll be timewarping a lot, and different players will do it at different rates. That means that it’s vanishingly unlikely that two players will ever be synchronised. If you’re extremely lucky, somebody might receive a message you sent, assuming the game can handle that.

Multiplayer has to be by agreement. Most likely co-op sessions for individual missions with coordinated timewarp; if it involves separate games, it’ll have to be an agreement between players to sync up in the same time and place. A persistent server would need time travel, with all the headaches that involves, which is why I don’t think there will be one.

Edited by Guest