Way to go! Kerbal Space Program 2 is in 7th place on Steam's most wanted game!

Dr. Kerbal

I just want to say that Kerbal Space Program 2 is in 7th place for the most wanted game on Steam (as of 2/17/2021).  Way to go and keep up the good work ksp2 devs! Here is the link to see:

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?ignore_preferences=1&os=win&filter=popularwishlist

Edited by Dr. Kerbal
Why does this thread at thread have 1,100 views???

Since so many people have it in their Steam Wishlist, this seems like a good place to repeat that old, tired advice. When this game starts accepting preorders, don’t do it. If it’s a good game you can buy it once the reviews confirm that. If it’s a bad game, you won’t have wasted your money on it. 

I suspect the game will turn out alright, but it definitely won’t live up to some of the expectations about it, and if those expectations happen to be a dealbreaker for you you’ll be glad you waited to see. I know some of you will be in that camp. 

Edited by RyanRising
Added line break

2 hours ago, RyanRising said:

When this game starts accepting preorders, don’t do it. If it’s a good game you can buy it once the reviews confirm that. If it’s a bad game, you won’t have wasted your money on it. 

For me personally, I've had money in the bank just for this ready to go since announcement. What's already has been presented has me sold. IDK if anyone else feels like this. But I will buy this as soon as I can. 

1 hour ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

For me personally, I've had money in the bank just for this ready to go since announcement. What's already has been presented has me sold. IDK if anyone else feels like this. But I will buy this as soon as I can. 

I have 60 bucks in storage. That it. I heard they were going to see lot for 60 bucks.

2 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

What's to stop  you from holding on to that money until the game's release? I'm all for putting money aside for the game, but I strongly encourage you to hold on to that money until you can actually get a game for instead of the promise of a game down the line. Despite the dev diaries and what's been shown off, the game is still subject to change until release, so you don't know what you're buying if you pre-order.

It pains me to see how many people do that and then complain that what they got doesn't meet their expectations. If the game does meet expectations, great! You'd be happy no matter when you bought it. If it doesn't meet expectations, you'll be better off not having spent that money prematurely. I don't see any advantage to pre-ordering at all. Please reconsider the course of action you're looking to take with the possibility it might not turn out as you want in mind.

Edited by RyanRising
I feel very strongly about this, can you tell?

Early access isn’t really a preorder, since you do get an (albeit unfinished) game with it. I can see the reasoning behind that, and it’s not as inherently malicious as, say, bonus cosmetic items for people who preorder.

The one place where a preorder makes sense is if there’s a limited supply - like with physical games (a collector’s edition? They’re not going to do that with KSP2, I hope.) Otherwise it’s just an attempt to get you to pay for a game before you’ve had a chance to see its reviews and evaluate its merits and shortcomings. 

Edited by RyanRising

Preorders usually come with bonuses for people who preorder. Now tell me, what could that be in ksp2? Special colors? Exclusive parts? There's no point in selling preorders in the first place for a game of this kind.

Not to mention the backlash when people learn that some early buyers get more.

Also

7 hours ago, RyanRising said:

If it’s a good game you can buy it once the reviews confirm that.

While this is the safest approach, I, among many others I believe, have seen and know enough to be sure that my 60 bucks spent right away on release won't go to waste. Hell, even if it's going to be ksp1.5 with colony parts and two solar systems, I'm going to spend 60 hours just learning how to do stuff. So that makes it $1/hour and for me that's a successful investment.

I trust Intercept the same way I trust Guerrilla Games, as I'm waiting for another game, another sequel, which consists of elements I already love, in a universe I adore. So I'm getting it on day one as well.

3 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

The delays in the game have made me feel confident that I won't be regretting pre-ordering it. But that's just me

Cyberpunk 2077 also had delays. No Man's Sky also had delays. People had really high hopes for those games too. While the magnitude of the KSP2 delays are larger, possibly signalling a better understanding of the development schedule required, it is impossible to know what problems will come up along the way and nearer release, and  the delays those games had were nowhere close to enough to fix the problems they had. You  should not feel confident in any pre-order, because what little you gain is not worth the risk of disappointment, even without the idea that preorders encourage rushing to get a game out before people start annoyed that they haven't been able to use the product they've bought yet.

58 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Preorders usually come with bonuses for people who preorder. Now tell me, what could that be in ksp2? Special colors? Exclusive parts? There's no point in selling preorders in the first place for a game of this kind.

Not to mention the backlash when people learn that some early buyers get more.

Also

While this is the safest approach, I, among many others I believe, have seen and know enough to be sure that my 60 bucks spent right away on release won't go to waste. Hell, even if it's going to be ksp1.5 with colony parts and two solar systems, I'm going to spend 60 hours just learning how to do stuff. So that makes it $1/hour and for me that's a successful investment.

I trust Intercept the same way I trust Guerrilla Games, as I'm waiting for another game, another sequel, which consists of elements I already love, in a universe I adore. So I'm getting it on day one as well.

Getting the video game on day one isn't really something I have a problem with. Review copies have usually already been distributed (probably a bad sign if they aren't, though of course there are exceptions to even that) and you should have a pretty good idea of what you're getting into then. I knew Horizon Zero Dawn was a good game, and I bought it on PC and enjoyed it once I knew the issues I had with it had been fixed. Because the reviews had told me there were issues on release that would have dampened the experience for me. If I'd preordered it, I'd instead find those issues as I was playing, and I wouldn't have had as good a time with the game.

People keep falling into this preorder trap., because “this time it’s different.” How do I help them out of it? Cause the less people do this, the better games will be. 

Edited by RyanRising

4 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

The delays in the game have made me feel confident that I won't be regretting pre-ordering it. But that's just me

You didn't read about Cyberpunk, did you?

All joking aside I do have every confidence in the developers' ability to develop a rockin' space game.

8 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

It's a bad incentive for both developers and publishers. I'm saying this as someone who makes games. I want to make good games, but if pre-orders drive sales, then marketing is going to make it very difficult for me to spend my time making a good game and not a pretty advertisement for one. If you care about games, wait until they are actually available to play before putting money in them.

6 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

Oo! What about early access?

Early access can work for some games, if the devs are clear in their mind about what they expect from it. For example, a complex RPG with many interacting systems is hard to balance, and a public beta/EA with good telemetry can be very valuable in figuring out how players play it, what's OP, what needs buffing, what features are unused or underused or misunderstood, if some crit path fights are so hard 90% of the players just give up and stop there, and so on. 

It can also backfire spectacularly. The problem is that for many if not most players, EA and public betas are just plain old fashioned impatience. They want to play the game NOW NOW NOW. Then when they get an unfinished game and it kind of stinks, as unfinished things usually do, they'll lose interest, or, worse, go rage about it, turning other people off to it too. 

As I've said elsewhere, I don't think KSP2 is the kind of game that can benefit from a public beta or EA. It can, however, benefit from enough development time to give it the sheer quantity of different space Legos that make KSP so much fun, to properly polish and balance the various new colonisation-related systems, and to work out the bugs in what is going to be a fairly complex game. Spending the money on development and a robust and dedicated QA team is likely to have a much bigger pay-off than a public beta or EA, and ultimately we – the players – will be happier too; it'll be a longer wait but we'll get a better game at the end of it.

Spoiler

Of course things can go wrong in all kinds of ways, and KSP is a tough act to beat – but at this point in time I at least remain optimistic.

18 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

As a fellow forum member said the other day:

I'll buy KSP 2 when KSP 1 is out of beta.

"I'll buy the solution to 8 years of spaghetti code problems when they solve the 8 years of spaghetti code problems for free"

It makes no sense.

17 minutes ago, Master39 said:

It makes no sense.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to you, it makes much sense to me.

See, the other day a young coworker asked me about a particular political topic, and I told him that this reminds me much of George Orwell's "1984".

He had no idea what "1984" means, it didn't make any sense to him.

We might be in a similar situation here.

Edited by VoidSquid

26 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Maybe it doesn't make sense to you, it makes much sense to me.

See, the other day a young coworker asked me about a particular political topic, and I told him that this reminds me much of George Orwell's "1984".

He had no idea what "1984" means, it didn't make any sense to him.

We might be in a similar situation here.

I can see where @Master39 is coming from. Saying that you won't buy KSP 2 (which is a game being made from scratch by a completely different team to the original) until the longstanding problems with KSP are fixed doesn't make much sense.

KSP has problems that have built up over its years of development, and the developers know that. That's why KSP 2 is being made, because the only way of fixing those problems is a complete rewrite of the game. And you can't expect them to do that for free, so it really has to be a new game.

I do plan on buying KSP2 on release, or very soon after, but there is absolutely no point in pre-ordering from what I can see so far, even if it becomes an option.  And that does also give me a chance to double check reviews, just in case.

The only 'supply problem' I can envisage is slow download speeds due to initial demand.  If it takes me an extra day or so before buying then so be it.