Transferring data between ships

I'm having trouble transferring science data from an Experimental Storage Unit to another ship. The ESU is on one of two ships that are both docked to a station on different ports, and when I click the ESU I get the prompt to click another part to transfer it to, but the command module of the second ship doesn't light up ... in fact, no other parts light up. I've tried putting a Kerbal on EVA outside the lander can with the ESU on it, but when I open the PAWs for either the lander can or the ESU I don't get an option to get at the data. Am I missing something?

Well, I'll certainly give that a try ... but a couple of days ago I had a similar situation, but the science wasn't in an ESU, just stored in another a CM, and I used a pilot to do pretty much what you described. I just don't have a scientist on this particular mission - just a pilot, an engineer, and some tourists. 

You don't need a scientist -- but you sometimes have to be flying very close to a science container before you get the option in the PAW to remove the data. Try flying up and bumping into the  science container, and see if the PAW changes.

Have you done that kind of data transfer before? I was under the impression that you could only transfer experiments to devices that have the "collect all" science option.

Edited by bewing

1 minute ago, bewing said:

... sometimes have to be flying very close to a science container before you get the option in the PAW to remove the data.

I don't think I can get much closer without buying it dinner. I've got the Kerbal on the hatch of the MK1 Lander Can, and that's what the ESU is attached to. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.