"The outpost must be fully assembled when launched" - what exactly does this mean?

So, when scrolling through the contracts list, I noticed this on a couple of my base contracts:

hcUQCTy.png

This seems to be new in 1.11, as it wasn't there when my career was on 1.10. So does this just mean I'm not allowed to add any parts with EVA construction? Or does it mean I have to launch the entire base in one monolithic structure? If it's the latter then that throws a bit of a spanner in the works - I've been planning to build my bases modularly with modules being launched individually and docked together in-situ.

Thanks in advance :)

I think it just means that you have to build and launch all the parts after you accept the contract. You can assemble in orbit or on the surface, but -- for example -- if you happen to already have a ship waiting around in orbit that would fit the bill for all or part of it, you can't use that.

I think it’s supposed to make you launch the completed structure (sounds like it doesn’t work though?) but in your case you could just send up the minimum and add to it after the contract had completed.

It’s worth noting that many of the “vessel type” contracts can be ‘cheated’ due to the explicit way they check their conditions. For example, you could make an inline (easy to launch) lander with a small antenna, rtg and mini port, land it then right click and change it’s type to ‘base’ when landed. Also works well for rover contracts. Basically you complete them on a technicality rather than aesthetics or practicality. Depends on how you want to play I guess.

2 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

It’s worth noting that many of the “vessel type” contracts can be ‘cheated’

Contracts in general are little more than an excuse for the game throwing rewards at us. Case in point: after completing the contract the vessel is yours for whatever use may be found.

Regarding the question I'm also under the impression that launching it in modules and assembling will complete the contract, even if you are not "supposed" to do that way. Unless it is a modded contract, maybe the modded found a clever way to prevent the completion of the conttract i that way.

3 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

Regarding the question I'm also under the impression that launching it in modules and assembling will complete the contract, even if you are not "supposed" to do that way. Unless it is a modded contract, maybe the modded found a clever way to prevent the completion of the conttract i that way.

It's a stock contract, of the regular 'build a base on x' variety.

Since that bit of small print wasn't there before I updated my save to 1.11, I'm inclined to think that it's just to prevent you from using EVA construction on an existing craft. If I'm wrong then I can just Alt-F12 autocomplete the contract anyway.

• 1 year later...

A warning to future readers : This kind of missions might be broken.

I did this :

- Built my "outpost" in the VAB

- Sent it to Mun, as per contract

- Landed there

=> All the ticks became green EXCEPT for that first main tick that gives a general description of the contract (and contains the "The outpost must be fully assembled when launched" sentence). I have no idea what the game didn't like in my build, and this thread is only moderately enlightening, as most contributors are mostly guessing.

EDIT: The mission got completed the second I jettisoned the two small engines that were attached to the outpost (required to land it smoothly). It means that the mission description implies that an OUTPOST cannot have ENGINES.

Edited by jeancallisti

• 4 weeks later...

I got the mission to construct an orbital station around Duna including a mobile processing lab and room for 7 kerbals. It also needed to be fully assembled on launch. Halfway to Duna I discovered I did not have enough battery power to transmit 500 science points from the MPL. I reloaded a quicksave where the station was still in orbit around Kerbin and sent a probe with some extra batteries inside. My on board engineer did a quick EVA, added the batteries and I sent the probe off again. It wasn't until I circlerised at Duna that I noticed the first green tick was gone. I'm now wondering that if my engineer would delete these batteries on arrival at Duna, would that count again?? I was looking for this answer when I arrived here. Wel.. only one way to find out.. I'll check tomorrow and have an update if

Update: it worked!

Just removing the pieces that were added after launch does count as 'fully assembled when launched'! 

Edited by Sano
Update, issue resolved

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.