Show and Tell - Colony fuel factories

StarSlay3r

5 hours ago, mattinoz said:

Can we consume the superlander itself for materials?

Assuming there are any redundant parts after careful design.

That makes sense.

Dismantle unused/crashed vessels for recycling.  Maybe salvage some parts for direct refurb and reuse, and the rest convert to raw materials.

Didn't Elon say at some point that one advantage with making Starship out of stainless steel is that it can be reworked and reused fairly easily on Mars if needed.

9 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Yep! Colonies can reclaim vessels (provided they're close enough), and those resources can be used to make other stuff.

Is this the gateway towards rapid reusability of craft, or will there be additional methods of refueling landed craft, such as fuel pipes?

@Nate Simpson

Little teasers like this have me I'm really looking the release thought all the talk about ore, resources  ect and their transport has got me thinking about rovers  / ground support vehicles and their role in KSP2.

I don't want to poke you or the other devs  to say anymore than your willing to so I'll ask just once on this topic, do rovers or ground vehicles have a role in the support and development of the colonies and will we see an expanded parts list for them?

MANY, MANY thanks for your efforts in bringing this new kerbal experience to life .  

14 hours ago, pandaman said:

That makes sense.

Dismantle unused/crashed vessels for recycling.  Maybe salvage some parts for direct refurb and reuse, and the rest convert to raw materials.

Didn't Elon say at some point that one advantage with making Starship out of stainless steel is that it can be reworked and reused fairly easily on Mars if needed.

Plus makes putting an orbital trash barge around Kerbin. Collect 2nd and 3rd stages to build a fleet of automated fuel pods. hobble together lots of fun things. 

These base parts are getting so large it will be almost impossible to move them from the CAB to a good location.

Will there be a "base editor" think top down placing buildings or will there a "survey stick" like object like in Extraplanetary launchpads?

5 minutes ago, ballisticfox0 said:

These base parts are getting so large it will be almost impossible to move them from the CAB to a good location.

Will there be a "base editor" think top down placing buildings or will there a "survey stick" like object like in Extraplanetary launchpads?

Yes, there's a base editor called the BAE (Base Assembly Editor) that allows you to move modules around as you like. You won't need to worry about the logistics of moving parts of your colony around within the build area.

Just now, Nate Simpson said:

Yes, there's a base editor called the BAE (Base Assembly Editor) that allows you to move modules around as you like. You won't need to worry about the logistics of moving parts of your colony around within the build area.

Dyson Sphere Program in KSP 2 intensifies.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:40 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

You probably won't need to land them, considering that these are for colonies you'll probably build them in situ alongside the power generation modules using resources you harvest there.

And then I use multiple in a single, ludicrously huge ship lol

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

37 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

Please excuse that we're all gasping and begging for new information here. But to ask for a meta update, can we assume that these little un-narrated dolly shot videos showcasing different parts are going to be a really regular kind of thing? It's been a huge stretch of radio silence and now we've got two of those in as many weeks.

36 minutes ago, Wubslin said:

Please excuse that we're all gasping and begging for new information here. But to ask for a meta update, can we assume that these little un-narrated dolly shot videos showcasing different parts are going to be a really regular kind of thing? It's been a huge stretch of radio silence and now we've got two of those in as many weeks.

We're gonna do our best. It's a bit of a tightrope, avoiding spoilers and making sure information gets out in the right order and in the right way! But with @KSPStar on the team now, we do have somebody regularly reminding us to keep our eyes open for good stuff to share.

46 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

We're gonna do our best. It's a bit of a tightrope, avoiding spoilers and making sure information gets out in the right order and in the right way! But with @KSPStar on the team now, we do have somebody regularly reminding us to keep our eyes open for good stuff to share.

Oh, cool! Of course there's zero obligation (video game developers famously have to deal with some of the most entitled-feeling audiences in the entertainment business, coughcyberpunkcough), but I'm personally going to enjoy any new information you guys might have to share with the community.

It doesn't matter to me if it's

Spoiler

how the heck multiplayer is going to work

or if it's just the new look of the strut connectors and fuel lines.

15 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

Instead of moving them without worrying about the logistics. Wouldn't be simpler and more realistic to provide players a sort of "RTS base building mechanic"? That is, instead of moving the buildings spawned, you just decide which building you want and where you want it, from the start, using that BAE. Then may be some sort of groundwork build mechanic like in MKS would be nice for multiplayer. Each player with a task to make sure the building progress smoothly and such.

1 hour ago, Sesshaku said:

Instead of moving them without worrying about the logistics. Wouldn't be simpler and more realistic to provide players a sort of "RTS base building mechanic"? That is, instead of moving the buildings spawned, you just decide which building you want and where you want it, from the start, using that BAE. Then may be some sort of groundwork build mechanic like in MKS would be nice for multiplayer. Each player with a task to make sure the building progress smoothly and such.

From the last year or so of descriptions of the BAE it seems like it works mostly like the VAB, with the palette populated at first with modules brought from outside (either in one piece or as kit) then, when the colony is advanced enough, populated with modules you can "craft" and build on the spotnusing mined resources.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet so I'll present it: with the Show and Tell videos on loop you can now play KSP with the KSP2 soundtrack playing in the background - which I'm doing right now. This music is exactly what I want for this game. 

Nate, please pass on another compliment to the composer. This one from Ahres.

23 minutes ago, Ahres said:

I haven't seen it mentioned yet so I'll present it: with the Show and Tell videos on loop you can now play KSP with the KSP2 soundtrack playing in the background - which I'm doing right now. This music is exactly what I want for this game. 

Nate, please pass on another compliment to the composer. This one from Ahres.

I was telling Howard yesterday about how much love the music has been getting online, and he continues to be his usual humble self. It's so good though! 

When the drums drop in there at the end... CHILLS.

21 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

I hope this isn't making your guys work more difficult. We forumers can demand a lot. 

Don't worry too much about presenting things frequently. Just do your guys work on the KSP 2 game and make it great. We will be here cheering you on :) 

Music reminds me of some of Sarah Schachter's music in Assasins Creed Origins. Very atmospheric, the syth disstorter makes it unsettling, alien. You hear familiar violin, even voices but it is distorted which makes it feel more alien. What I am trying to say is that this soundtrack looks to be coming along. As much as I love the three songs in the original KSP, we need more variety especially considering the scope of KSP 2. Really, really hyped to hear some more of this ear candy!

So with all this ISRU stuff I think we should talk a little bit about resources. Also I know this is stepping into spoiler territory and you guys could do a whole Dev diary on this but I'm just wanting some vague answers.

How "specific" will resources be.  For instance will it be uranium-235, or just uranium, and will it be deuterium and Helium 3 or fusion fuel?
Also is electricity still measured in electric charge or is it measured in something more realistic like megajoules?

And one more thing how will energy/resource transfer work between buildings will they just auto-connect or will you have to string power/transfer lines between them?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.