Hello from LKO

Brope Ian

Greetings! Newly arrived on the forums. I've played stock KSP about 160 hours and figured it was time to get into the community and modding. :) 

I'm mostly just currently working on figuring out which version of KSP I should mod, as many have not been updated to the newest version and some things got added to the base game that mods previously existed for.

So, hello, thanks for dropping in to say hi, and what version number would you all suggest I use for my modded career?

2 hours ago, Brope Ian said:

Greetings! Newly arrived on the forums. I've played stock KSP about 160 hours and figured it was time to get into the community and modding. :) 

I'm mostly just currently working on figuring out which version of KSP I should mod, as many have not been updated to the newest version and some things got added to the base game that mods previously existed for.

So, hello, thanks for dropping in to say hi, and what version number would you all suggest I use for my modded career?

Howdy! Welcome to the forum!

I would stick to the latest version of KSP because new mods will probably come out for that version. Not many mods are made specifically for old versions! :P

(Major exception is 1.8.1, That is the version for RO and some other stuff.)

I would recommend at the very least ReStock. It revamps almost every stock and MH part in the game with a fresh, (and much better IMO) look. 

Next, I would take a look at Nertea's other mods. They are beautiful, well made, and are updated to new versions quickly. These mods include the Near Future suite of mods, Cryogenic Engines, Kerbal Atomics, Station Parts Redux, and Far Future Technologies (new and  VERY awesome).

There is the aforementioned Tantares, which will fulfill all your Soviet Rocketry needs, Comrade. Made by the very talented Beale. 

BDB is the American counterpart to Tantares, made by the excellent CobaltWolf.  

Graphics is a matter of preference, but I currently use Astronomer's Visual Pack Beyond. It's a matter of preference though. Stock EVE, Spectra, SVE, and Sci-fiVE are some other options. You will almost certainly need Scatterer and EVE Redux. 

There are also Post Processing mods that add some extra effects. 

Planet mods and Utility mods are a whole 'nother ball game. If you want to PM me, I can give some suggestions.

Thank you for the welcomes and the suggestions thus far! :) I will make sure to look up every suggestion.

From other threads asking for mod suggestions I've seen there are about a dozen mods that get mentioned in the utility sector almost always (KAC, KIS, KER for example). I wonder about KIS for example as there is a newly added inventory system, and using engineers to add parts to vehicles post-launch, etc. Another very highly recommended mod is all about that.

I suppose this means I came in at a little bit of an awkward time, just after not one but two content patches! :D

42 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Planet mods and Utility mods are a whole 'nother ball game. If you want to PM me, I can give some suggestions.

I surely will after I post 3 more times!

On 2/19/2021 at 6:37 PM, Brope Ian said:

and what version number would you all suggest I use for my modded career?

Hello, and welcome to the forum! I would suggest using 1.7.3, as it's currently one of the most stable version aside from 1.3.1 and currently the new versions aren't that stable. However, I personally use 1.9.1 as a lot of cool mods came around after 1.8.1. I wish you luck on your adventures!