Mir Space Station

AlamoVampire

Hey space history buffs! Today February 20, 2021 marks the 35th anniversary of the launch of Mir Space Station! It was on orbit from February 20, 1986 until March 23, 2001.

What memories do you have of this venerable outpost? 

I remember shuttle Endeavour on STS 89 going up there.

Edited by AlamoVampire

When I first heard that it went up, I was wondering if this meant that the Soviets had built a super heavy booster. But no...it was a small station boosted on a Proton.

when we were walking to see a 4th of July fireworks show one year, we spotted two points of light moving in the same direction,.. which turned out to be the Space Shuttle chasing down Mir. Lucky!

@BrotoroWhile I never saw Mir on orbit your nice memory of seeing the shuttle chasing down Mir reminds me of the time I saw the shuttle after undocking from the ISS. I cannot recall which was the lead and which was the following light in the sky, I remember seeing them closely following each other as they passed overhead. From my perspective on the ground there was about 2 feet or so of sky between them which up there was likely a few miles (how many exactly no clue) apart. I knew they were coming and was able to see them. Almost as beautiful as the time I watched Eileen Collins on her first mission as commander on Columbia reenter over my city. 

It was already in space when I was born.

I remember it coming down, though.  I was 13 at the time and didn't really pay much attention to real space stuff at that age.  Pretty much everything I knew about Mir came from Armageddon.  Which is.... not ideal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.