The Mac CKAN Struggle

Hi so i'm trying to install realism overhaul on 1.8.1 and I found it was very frustrating to install it manually so I tried to install CKAN. It was going pretty well, I installed CKAN and put it in my KSP folder. The problem is when I try to install a mod, the keybind is command D, but it just doesn't work. I was looking at CKAN tutorials but they're all using windows so their version of CKAN is different because i'm on mac. Is that normal? Anyways, sorry if this was kind of vague, I you know any CKAN tutorials for mac users let me know. Thanks.

Update: so i'm pretty confident i've installed CKAN correctly but for some stupid reason I can't figure out how to actually install mods using it with mac. Here's an image of CKAN as it is for me if it helps. https://imgur.com/a/1jMhljQ

Edited by RabidToothBrush

On 2/21/2021 at 1:53 AM, RabidToothBrush said:

the keybind is command D, but it just doesn't work.

IIRC it's Ctrl+D to download from the details screen, and "+" to install from the main screen. I don't have anything running macOS to verify that though, and the "+" might be problematic.
You should get a keybind prompt alongside the "F10 - Menu" at the bottom of the screen anyway, so I suspect something other than just the wrong key is going on. Does CKAN emit any errors on the command line? Have you selected a KSP install? Does CKAN have write permissions in your KSP directory etc.?

TBH I'm just guessing here as I don't really use the consoleui interface and I can't muck about with it from a screenshot. You'll probably have a better chance of useful bites if you post in the CKAN thread, poke @HebaruSan directly, or try one of the other help channels (github issue or discord) listed in the wiki (also instructions 'n stuff there).
FWIW there was some discussion of keybinds on MacOS in the consoleui (you don't get the hideous normal winforms GUI, because Apple) pull, so that might be worth a look too.

If all else fails you could always try installing RO with the command-line interface, that's pretty indestructible and doesn't _have_ any keybinds to not work. It's also pretty verbose if something is going wrong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.