Minor ladder suggestion

New to the game and these forums but an adjustable length extension ladder would be nice. Rather than moving the entire ladder up or down and possibly having to stack ladders to reach somewhere. It would be great to set the length you need when assembling in the VAB.

Or am I a dunce and this already exists?

While that would be neat, I think it falls under the category of procedural parts. I guess those don’t really fit into KSP’s design philosophy. Procedural parts would be nice, but I guess they’re just not happening, based on the past >6 years of people asking for and implementing them.

3 hours ago, RyanRising said:

Procedural parts would be nice, but I guess they’re just not happening, based on the past >6 years of people asking for and implementing them.

Struts, fuel lines, fairings, and launch clamps are all vanilla procedural parts.

Also, OP isn't asking for procedural parts. They're asking for a way to control how fully the ladders extend. We have deploy limits on cargo bays, there's no reason we can't have them on ladders as well.

10 hours ago, Iamsodarncool said:

Struts, fuel lines, fairings, and launch clamps are all vanilla procedural parts.

Also, OP isn't asking for procedural parts. They're asking for a way to control how fully the ladders extend. We have deploy limits on cargo bays, there's no reason we can't have them on ladders as well.

Oooh, I read it as a variable length static ladder, but going over it again it does say variable extension, so it makes sense it’s a deplorable ladder. Yeah, I don’t see any immediate conceptual roadblocks to that happening.

I've never liked the stock ladders for this reason. Lego-style ladders would be good where you can properly attach them together to make any length you want but the kerbal can climb up and down properly without falling/spinning/shooting off into space. 

16 hours ago, Iamsodarncool said:

This is pretty much what I was thinking. Setting the extension length just like you can with hydraulic cylinders or bay doors.

I'm finding ways to build shorter landers that just work within the set length of the extension ladders. I'm still only going to moons where I don't need much delta V for a return to Kerbin and don't actually need a ladder anyway. Especially once I start landing places like Laythe where you need a decent size rocket to get back in orbit and return to Kerbin I'll probably be back to stacking ladders which just seems kinda dumb.

20 hours ago, RyanRising said:

While that would be neat, I think it falls under the category of procedural parts. I guess those don’t really fit into KSP’s design philosophy. Procedural parts would be nice, but I guess they’re just not happening, based on the past >6 years of people asking for and implementing them.

We can have procedural shells but can't have procedural ladders so we can fill the gaps ourselves. Guess we're sticking to either big massive ladders or small dinky ones for now.

3 hours ago, FruitGoose said:

I've never liked the stock ladders for this reason. Lego-style ladders would be good where you can properly attach them together to make any length you want but the kerbal can climb up and down properly without falling/spinning/shooting off into space. 

Or flipping upside down. What’s the deal with that, anyway? I could have sworn they didn’t do this a while back.

Edited by RyanRising

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.