Developer Insights #2 – Visual Effects

Intercept Games

• KSP Team

Explosions

Hi, I’m Aaron Lundquist, the Senior Visual Effects Artist on Kerbal Space Program 2.  As an artist, I look at color, composition, and silhouette, but the little green scientist inside me wants to know the how and why.  With that in mind, let’s jump on in!

On KSP2, a major goal is to expand on diversifying the visual effects to reflect a more scientifically accurate depiction of what space exploration actually looks like.

Dev Diary #2 Double Width

An example of this is showing the visual differences between an engine’s exhaust in an atmosphere vs the vacuum of space.  Changes in atmospheric pressure directly affect how exhaust plumes look.  Higher pressure compresses the exhaust causing a long and narrow silhouette.  In a vacuum, the exhaust is wider, expanding outward as soon as it exits the bell nozzle.

KSP 2 Dev Diary Double Image

In addition to pressure, an atmosphere’s chemical composition can affect the look of engine exhaust.  An atmosphere with a lot of water moisture will cause more vapor in the exhaust plume.  This is a result of the high temperature of the exhaust vaporizing the moisture in the air, causing visible cloud-like trails.

KSP Leaving Orbit

Another goal is to craft visual effects that reflect the unique fuel used by each engine.  KSP2 features a variety of fuel types, some with pretty extreme qualities.  To achieve this, we’ve reached out to subject matter experts to help determine how various fuels burn.  “Does this fuel need an oxidizer?,” ”How quickly does it burn?”, “What  temperature is it?,” “What color is it?,” and “Does it create soot?” were just a few of the questions we asked to help shape the effects.

Based on expert answers, we developed color pallets for multiple situations:

KSP 2 Temperature Gauge

For explosions, we consider how it was triggered.  This involves investigating various real world vehicle incidents.  By looking at different types of wreckage, we can piece together key information.  That sets an example for how and when to trigger visual events in-game.

KSP 2 Explosions

Using game logic, we can query specific conditions during destruction events.  Examples include if a vehicle has fuel, what kind of fuel, whether it hit something, what type of thing it hit, is it in a vacuum, and so forth.  We track quite a few variables in order to make sure that a pressurized vehicle with non-combustible contents reacts differently from a non-pressurized vehicle with combustible contents.

Once we have the relevant game info, our system then looks for all vehicle parts in proximity to each other.  If two or more parts with similar attributes explode at the same time, the system will combine these into one large explosion, as opposed to multiple smaller explosions.

The goal is for each explosion to be its own special snowflake based on how, where, and why the vehicle failed — or, for some of us, how the vehicle succeeded.

More Explosions

I hope you enjoyed a taste of our process.  For me, learning about these details is fascinating and enriching.  It allows me to improve my craft and keep growing as a professional.

We can’t wait to learn even more when the vast knowledge of the KSP community chimes in.

Until the next blog…

Cheers!

Aaron

View the full article

• 11 months later...

Man, those look great!

Can't wait to see how far we can push those explosions...it's a masterpiece waiting to happen!

Spoiler

Ahh, there's a cursor on the MH engine...

That purple, though......it's stunning!!

Edited by Lewie

On 2/26/2020 at 12:49 PM, Intercept Games said:

Hi, I’m Aaron Lundquist, the Senior Visual Effects Artist on Kerbal Space Program 2.  As an artist, I look at color, composition, and silhouette, but the little green scientist inside me wants to know the how and why.  With that in mind, let’s jump on in!

On KSP2, a major goal is to expand on diversifying the visual effects to reflect a more scientifically accurate depiction of what space exploration actually looks like.

Image-1.png

An example of this is showing the visual differences between an engine’s exhaust in an atmosphere vs the vacuum of space.  Changes in atmospheric pressure directly affect how exhaust plumes look.  Higher pressure compresses the exhaust causing a long and narrow silhouette.  In a vacuum, the exhaust is wider, expanding outward as soon as it exits the bell nozzle.

Image-2.png

In addition to pressure, an atmosphere’s chemical composition can affect the look of engine exhaust.  An atmosphere with a lot of water moisture will cause more vapor in the exhaust plume.  This is a result of the high temperature of the exhaust vaporizing the moisture in the air, causing visible cloud-like trails.

Image-3-300x200.png

Another goal is to craft visual effects that reflect the unique fuel used by each engine.  KSP2 features a variety of fuel types, some with pretty extreme qualities.  To achieve this, we’ve reached out to subject matter experts to help determine how various fuels burn.  “Does this fuel need an oxidizer?,” ”How quickly does it burn?”, “What  temperature is it?,” “What color is it?,” and “Does it create soot?” were just a few of the questions we asked to help shape the effects.

Based on expert answers, we developed color pallets for multiple situations:

Image-4.png

For explosions, we consider how it was triggered.  This involves investigating various real world vehicle incidents.  By looking at different types of wreckage, we can piece together key information.  That sets an example for how and when to trigger visual events in-game.

Image-5-300x94.png

Using game logic, we can query specific conditions during destruction events.  Examples include if a vehicle has fuel, what kind of fuel, whether it hit something, what type of thing it hit, is it in a vacuum, and so forth.  We track quite a few variables in order to make sure that a pressurized vehicle with non-combustible contents reacts differently from a non-pressurized vehicle with combustible contents.

Once we have the relevant game info, our system then looks for all vehicle parts in proximity to each other.  If two or more parts with similar attributes explode at the same time, the system will combine these into one large explosion, as opposed to multiple smaller explosions.

The goal is for each explosion to be its own special snowflake based on how, where, and why the vehicle failed — or, for some of us, how the vehicle succeeded.

Explosions-Cover-Image-300x200.png

I hope you enjoyed a taste of our process.  For me, learning about these details is fascinating and enriching.  It allows me to improve my craft and keep growing as a professional.

We can’t wait to learn even more when the vast knowledge of the KSP community chimes in.

Until the next blog…

Cheers!

Aaron

View the full article

real plume comes with the game now 

I do hope explosions in vacuum will behave properly, to be consistent with the details put into rocket exhaust.

The nuclear pulse drive (aka. Orion, but see also Medusa) in particular has very fiery explosions in one of the early KSP 2 videos, which could be a placeholder, but basically no type of explosion looks like that in space. This video of Orion makes an example of how the plasma may appear impacting the pressure surface, though it's missing the bright white flash of the detonation itself. Such flashes would be very hard on the eyes, but I think the contrast they produce could be captured artistically without being too harsh.

Edited by Rocket Witch

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2020 at 11:49 AM, Intercept Games said:

Image-1.png

no mach/shock diamonds in the exhaust stream? 

Edited by Redneck

On 4/14/2021 at 4:40 PM, mazer924 said:

This is looking very impressive. I have also noticed SpaceX logo. Are you guys going with official, licensed stuff this time?

4 hours ago, ShuttlePilot said:

Someone answer this guy. I would wnat to ask the same too.

Newbies always ignored in forums. Duh.

So far, we have no idea. It is possible they team up with spave x or nasa, as ksp 1 already features NASA and the ESA.

55 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

So far, we have no idea. It is possible they team up with spave x or nasa, as ksp 1 already features NASA and the ESA.

I also think that that's a quite correct statement. It may be possible really. Because that would be WAY more fun to have resal licensed parts, not fictional ones with bad jokes lol.

What's up with my typing today? Typos

13 hours ago, Redneck said:

no mach/shock diamonds in the exhaust stream? 

They might come with the patterns. Let's just give the developers some time to do that. Alright? I don't think that they'll ever forget that one if they're trying to focus on realistic exhaust. And yeah, KSP2 will be KSP1 + mods. But way better.

On 2/28/2021 at 2:20 AM, Rocket Witch said:

I do hope explosions in vacuum will behave properly, to be consistent with the details put into rocket exhaust.

The nuclear pulse drive (aka. Orion, but see also Medusa) in particular has very fiery explosions in one of the early KSP 2 videos, which could be a placeholder, but basically no type of explosion looks like that in space. This video of Orion makes an example of how the plasma may appear impacting the pressure surface, though it's missing the bright white flash of the detonation itself. Such flashes would be very hard on the eyes, but I think the contrast they produce could be captured artistically without being too harsh.

Yeah, thankfully the modeling of the explosions are nice. I hope there will be even more types of them. Maybe they will even add random% for particles specifications, that would be awesome. I do like the fact that they're finally going with every important graphical detail. I can't believe that we will have realistic engine plume behaviour!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/17/2021 at 11:46 PM, Fletch4 said:

See, the main problem would be that a computer would need to have the graphics and be able to still work with multiplayer.

Personally for me multiplayer isn't a necessity cause i come to KSP to sit back and relax a bit when I'm all weary from the other multiplayer games

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/26/2020 at 9:49 AM, Intercept Games said:

The goal is for each explosion to be its own special snowflake based on how, where, and why the vehicle failed — or, for some of us, how the vehicle succeeded

... Except for the FLIGHT REPORT 

Edited by Starhawk
Font size reduced by moderator

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.