I cannot image what KSP2 will look like. The Pre-Alpha gameplay looks better than some games in full release.

Dr. Kerbal

Who is amazed at the Pre-Alpha Footage?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who is amazed at the Pre-Alpha Footage?

• Meh. Okay, so.
    • Glorious and shocked.

I cannot imagine what KSP2 will look like. The Pre-Alpha footage is just amazing. It better than some games I play. Actully, it is the best. I actully maybe would be fine with the Pre-Alpha looks. But I do not play lots of games with good look gameplay so. Anyways, I am amazed. Keep up the good work!

@Nate Simpson @Intercept Games @KSPStar

Edited by Dr. Kerbal
Most people say that there amazed. Yay! I agree too!

1 hour ago, Alexoff said:

Whoa! What video are we talking about? Not talking about the KSP 2 trailer?

Yeah, the trailer was all an externally rendered animation, but we have had some good quality shots from in-game. My only complaint about these has been the frame rate, and I hope it's just them running dev build with a lot of debug code, because otherwise, yikes. These two videos have some good examples.

They show improvements to planet rendering, PBR and materials on ships and colonies, and some in-progress works on terrain, atmospherics, rings, etc. It's not state of the art, or anything, but it's solid work. If the whole game ends up looking as good as best-polished bits of it, I'll have zero complaints.

Maybe I play the same games @Dr.kerbal
because I agree 100%! They may be short 5 second shots, but I am impressed thus far with what I have seen as well.

Then again, because of what I see, it makes me wonder what frame rates may be expected on lower end PC's? I hope my system can handle it :0.0:

33 minutes ago, Dientus said:

Maybe I play the same games @Dr.kerbal
because I agree 100%! They may be short 5 second shots, but I am impressed thus far with what I have seen as well.

Then again, because of what I see, it makes me wonder what frame rates may be expected on lower end PC's? I hope my system can handle it :0.0:

Me too.

It looks incredible. 

But the thing that really turns it into that *mild surprise* kind of reaction is the fact that any game can look good, but feeling good to move and click around is the real retainer. And i honestly don't know if KSP2 will feel the same but with more cool stuff to do; or if it will feel like a dialect of the original's playfeel, or something entirely different. 

The latest show and tells with the power plants and fuel refineries show some pretty nice lighting and landscape scenery too. If everything's up to that standard I'll be happy. At this point I don't have any concerns over how that stuff looks; however I am curious about how they'll handle living planets with vegetation and stuff. We already discussed underwater biomes in other threads; if they get those looking good too that'd be absolutely awesome.

12 minutes ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I'm building a new PC pretty much exclusively for KSP 2 and the footage is making me nervous that my new build won't be able to handle it. I cannot wait!

Things that they are doing for rendering aren't that heavy on GPU and Unity actually has decent rendering optimization. Focus on making sure you have a CPU that can handle the game. As previously discussed, they will probably be targeting gen 9 console performance as benchmark, so you should be aiming for something that at least matches Ryzen 7 3700X. And ideally, something a bit beefier if you are big on mods. That alone will probably be a big dent in your budget, especially with CPU prices being where they are. Waiting a bit might be wise if you can. Either way, probably don't buy a new graphics card right now. Prices for them are outrageous. I haven't seen anything yet that even a GTX 970 couldn't handle. And if you are going with Intel CPU, you might even scrape by on integrated and upgrade later.

After Dyson Sphere Program and No Mans Sky, it's hard to impress me with the graphics of the KSP 2 gameplay. But I'm sure K^2 is telling the truth and the game will rip the gaming industry apart, as T2 gives the studio a lot of money and time.

On 2/27/2021 at 6:17 PM, Alexoff said:

After Dyson Sphere Program and No Mans Sky, it's hard to impress me with the graphics of the KSP 2 gameplay. But I'm sure K^2 is telling the truth and the game will rip the gaming industry apart, as T2 gives the studio a lot of money and time.

After Dyson Sphere is also build with Unity, like KSP, but different art style.

Valheim is also build with Unity and both Valheim and Dyson Sphere Program has an Hightmap based terrain deformation system.

On 3/2/2021 at 11:45 AM, runner78 said:

Valheim is also build with Unity and both Valheim and Dyson Sphere Program has an Hightmap based terrain deformation system.

So what? Ori series, Rust, Forest, Cuphead and dozens of crappy indie-horros were also build with Unity. Unity is game engine, only instrument.

15 minutes ago, Alexoff said:
On 3/2/2021 at 8:45 AM, runner78 said:

So what? Ori series, Rust, Forest, Cuphead and dozens of crappy indie-horros were also build with Unity. Unity is game engine, only instrument.

"I see lots of bad musicians playing violins, therefore other musicians using violins should 'upgrade' to something better."

Saying that would be stupid, but not many people see that in saying Squad should 'upgrade' from Unity.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally don't find these graphics amazing, but I've been spoiled by FS2020. And this is Pre-Alpha gameplay, and it looks this good. I expect the developers to take full advantage of new tech, shaders, PBR, etc.

Also, I'm not certain, but they could add ray tracing in a later update.

Also, remember that there are graphics settings. Most computers running KSP today can't run KSP 2 at max graphics at an acceptable framerate, sure. But you don't need to play at max. It's obviously way too early to tell how this game will perform, but I seriously doubt this will be something similar to, in the words of Linus, "Microsoft Great Equalizer Simulator".

i just hope that there are settings to turn most of the fancy looks of so that i can actually run the game on my laptop. even in KSP 1 without any graphics mods i am already lucky if my fps goes into double digits

On 3/22/2021 at 7:41 AM, minerbat said:

i just hope that there are settings to turn most of the fancy looks of so that i can actually run the game on my laptop. even in KSP 1 without any graphics mods i am already lucky if my fps goes into double digits

KSP 2 won't be poorly optimized. Graphics will be better and will likely run better than KSP 1 with 300 mods.

On 3/22/2021 at 3:41 AM, minerbat said:

Thats not because of the graphics, KSP is processor intensive. There's plenty of room for improving graphics before the GPU begins bottlenecking over the CPU

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Thats not because of the graphics, KSP is processor intensive. There's plenty of room for improving graphics before the GPU begins bottlenecking over the CPU

True. And KSP on PS4 will tank the TPS biulding anything with one of the large Saturn V tanks.

I’m still surprised I got to Jool and back on 10 tps. Or something like that.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

True. And KSP on PS4 will tank the TPS biulding anything with one of the large Saturn V tanks.

I’m still surprised I got to Jool and back on 10 tps. Or something like that.

The usual terminology is FPS, which is Frames Per Second.

Most games don't use "ticks" to measure performance. Some do, like Minecraft, which is indicative of server performance. Other games like Factorio use UPS "Updates Per Second" which for Factorio normally runs at 60, which also means the game outputs frames at 60 FPS. If the UPS drops below 60, then the FPS also drops below 60 to match because the two are tied together. If Factorio is running at 30 UPS, that means everything in the game will take twice as long to do as usual.

In KSP it is somewhat similar in that the FPS will lower as the CPU struggles, however the FPS in KSP is not tied to a base value like in Factorio.

30 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

The usual terminology is FPS, which is Frames Per Second.

Most games don't use "ticks" to measure performance. Some do, like Minecraft, which is indicative of server performance. Other games like Factorio use UPS "Updates Per Second" which for Factorio normally runs at 60, which also means the game outputs frames at 60 FPS. If the UPS drops below 60, then the FPS also drops below 60 to match because the two are tied together. If Factorio is running at 30 UPS, that means everything in the game will take twice as long to do as usual.

In KSP it is somewhat similar in that the FPS will lower as the CPU struggles, however the FPS in KSP is not tied to a base value like in Factorio.

Sprry. :(

11 hours ago, MechBFP said:

I mean, it sort of is. It's part of why you can get far more risky with physics warp on a good CPU. Physics and most game objects will tick once per frame with duration of previous frame passed in as time delta. That means that things will move and interact at the same rate regardless of FPS, but because any given time period is distributed between fewer ticks, precision suffers, and you are that much more likely to get physics bugs.

4 hours ago, K^2 said:

I mean, it sort of is. It's part of why you can get far more risky with physics warp on a good CPU. Physics and most game objects will tick once per frame with duration of previous frame passed in as time delta. That means that things will move and interact at the same rate regardless of FPS, but because any given time period is distributed between fewer ticks, precision suffers, and you are that much more likely to get physics bugs.

I don't think that is true.

Edited by MechBFP