How Forza Horizon 4's Multiplayer Could Solve All the Problems With a Hypothetical KSP 2 Multiplayer

If you ever played Horizon 4, you may understand what I am getting at. For those of you who do not, I will explain how multiplayer works in the game and then correlate it to KSP 2.

Horizon takes place on a decently sized map, as you play you have the option to play completely multiplayer, or ignore it exist. When you start a race you can start with a party, do a random multiplayer race, start a event that will appear on maps, or play against cpu. When you are not racing, other players appear as "ghost". You cannot crash into these players, but can invite them and squad up making your game into a co-op experience. Some events will also have all players in a zone working together. Now the most important part of all of this to me is the time travel in Forza. If you make a mistake you can rewind to avoid that mistake. If you do it in a multiplayer race, it splits you into your own timeline and im pretty sure you get a penalty online (do not quote me on this). If you do this in the map, you do not get your own timeline, it just effects you. 

Okay, okay, that was a lot. But I believe that this system of multiplayer could be what we see in KSP 2. I will relate it to KSP 2 in another post, until then tell me what you think and if you can see what I see before I explain it.

2 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

If you ever played Horizon 4, you may understand what I am getting at. For those of you who do not, I will explain how multiplayer works in the game and then correlate it to KSP 2.

Horizon takes place on a decently sized map, as you play you have the option to play completely multiplayer, or ignore it exist. When you start a race you can start with a party, do a random multiplayer race, start a event that will appear on maps, or play against cpu. When you are not racing, other players appear as "ghost". You cannot crash into these players, but can invite them and squad up making your game into a co-op experience. Some events will also have all players in a zone working together. Now the most important part of all of this to me is the time travel in Forza. If you make a mistake you can rewind to avoid that mistake. If you do it in a multiplayer race, it splits you into your own timeline and im pretty sure you get a penalty online (do not quote me on this). If you do this in the map, you do not get your own timeline, it just effects you. 

Okay, okay, that was a lot. But I believe that this system of multiplayer could be what we see in KSP 2. I will relate it to KSP 2 in another post, until then tell me what you think and if you can see what I see before I explain it.

I was going to ask about this too. Separate timelines for each player. Then you can have an option to jam all the timelines into one timeline, allowing you to time warp and do other things,

25 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

In case you missed it, I came up with a version of multiplayer timeline rules that is pretty much exactly what you're describing, only without the rewind feature. Check out these two essay-length comments I made over in the multiplayer thread:

21 hours ago, Wubslin said:

In case you missed it, I came up with a version of multiplayer timeline rules that is pretty much exactly what you're describing, only without the rewind feature. Check out these two essay-length comments I made over in the multiplayer thread:

I think you are actually pretty right. I just talked about rewind because it is in Forza, and could be switched out for time warp in ksp. But yeah, I do not understand why everyone was so confused with how to deal with the timelines. I think we may have cracked the code!

21 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

I was going to ask about this too. Separate timelines for each player. Then you can have an option to jam all the timelines into one timeline, allowing you to time warp and do other things,

I think the proposed system is the most realistic and practical system that would allow the game to be multiplayer and solve the issues with time warp.

Edited by PlutoISaPlanet
Spelling

So I want to present a scenario of how I think it would go in this situation. It may be a oversimplification, but hear me out.

You open KSP 2, and head into a game with multiplayer functionality. You are at KSC, and you look at your map and see where everyone is in the game and what they are doing in their seperate timelines. You see someone who helped you out before, and you talk to him and he explains he needs help building a orbital shipyard. He has already put some of it in orbit around Kerbin, only requiring one more launch to make it operational. You say, "I can do it, give me permissions to the ship and it's timewarp." So he gives you the permisions and he goes off line. His ship is now in your timeline bubble, until he is given permissions of the ship. So you finish making the shipyard, and he takes permissions to the ship back. 

This scenario of course is a demonstartion of how ships could be transfered between timelines, and ownership. Of course, this is one scenario out of many. I think it is pretty good but I will make more to demonstrate how the system would work.

This system is  pretty similar to the one I proposed in the other thread a few days back: everybody occupies their own timeline, but can drop in on each other's timelines, and import/export assets between them (by invitation/consent). The only significant gameplay distinction is that my proposal doesn't have any "ghost ships" -- all (fixed) assets exist for all participating players all the time, and can be interacted with normally by everyone; they will also be updated for everyone if the builder makes modifications to them. However, if you modify somebody else's asset, then you'll have to decide which version you retain in your timeline -- the original builder's, or yours.

But your scenario would play more or less as you describe it -- your friend would invite you to help finish his station, you'd drop in on your his timeline to do it, and since he's the original builder, the station would then appear in its finished state for all participants.

2 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

This system is  pretty similar to the one I proposed in the other thread a few days back: everybody occupies their own timeline, but can drop in on each other's timelines, and import/export assets between them (by invitation/consent). The only significant gameplay distinction is that my proposal doesn't have any "ghost ships" -- all (fixed) assets exist for all participating players all the time, and can be interacted with normally by everyone; they will also be updated for everyone if the builder makes modifications to them. However, if you modify somebody else's asset, then you'll have to decide which version you retain in your timeline -- the original builder's, or yours.

But your scenario would play more or less as you describe it -- your friend would invite you to help finish his station, you'd drop in on your his timeline to do it, and since he's the original builder, the station would then appear in its finished state for all participants.

Yeah, more or less the result is the same. I really, really think that this is how the multiplayer will end up being in the game.

20 minutes ago, JIMMY_the_DOG said:

I smell trollers

You can take control of, then modify or demolish any object in your timeline. The only difference is that your changes to somebody else's stuff won't propagate to anybody else's timeline, they affect your timeline only. 

Also, syncing timelines requires consent of both parties in the first place, and can be revoked at any time by either party. Somebody in your co-op game starts trolling you, just unlink and you won't see any of their stuff anymore. If they say they're sorry and you kiss and make up, re-link.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

You can take control of, then modify or demolish any object in your timeline. The only difference is that your changes to somebody else's stuff won't propagate to anybody else's timeline, they affect your timeline only. 

Also, syncing timelines requires consent of both parties in the first place, and can be revoked at any time by either party. Somebody in your co-op game starts trolling you, just unlink and you won't see any of their stuff anymore. If they say they're sorry and you kiss and make up, re-link.

Yeah, its kinda sketchy but that's what gonna have to happen

On 2/25/2021 at 3:09 PM, PlutoISaPlanet said:

You cannot crash into these players...

So if I crash into something that's there, the game treats it as though there is nothing there?

Sounds like you haven't solved all the problems.

12 hours ago, razark said:

So if I crash into something that's there, the game treats it as though there is nothing there?

Sounds like you haven't solved all the problems.

You are in a separate timeline until you join the other players timeline.  Also, issues with trolling would be bad. Games like Forza get around it by making players cars goast. Also, you would probably have a option to set your colonys and ships public.