Magneticity (1.8-1.11) (Early Development)

assimo

A magnetic sail or magsail is a proposed method of spacecraft propulsion which would use a static magnetic field to deflect charged radiated by the Sun as a plasma wind, and thus impart momentum to accelerate the spacecraft. A magnetic sail could also thrust directly against planetary and solar magnetospheres.

UPDATE 1.2:
- Realplume compatibility
- Interstellarfuelswitch as a main fuel (Krypton Gas)

SOON:
- Impulse Magnetoplasmic Propulsion
- Engine Textures

SpaceDock

unknown.png

unknown.png

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/

Edited by assimo
update

6 minutes ago, assimo said:

Still working on , for now its just a unlimited fuel. 
:D

Cool, you could possibly tie it somehow to Kerbalism's radiation belts.

Also, you could create a resource called 'mag field' as a band or a shell or something using Space Dust.  This might be the easiest option. 

4 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Cool, you could possibly tie it somehow to Kerbalism's radiation belts.

Also, you could create a resource called 'mag field' as a band or a shell or something using Space Dust.  This might be the easiest option. 

One problem is i have to figure out how to configure new fuel tanks to the game. Hopefully it will happen, i will work hard on this mod.
Yeah Kerbalism radiation belts is a good option, but still, configuration.
see ya

14 hours ago, assimo said:

One problem is i have to figure out how to configure new fuel tanks to the game. Hopefully it will happen, i will work hard on this mod.
Yeah Kerbalism radiation belts is a good option, but still, configuration.
see ya

This isn't the kind of propulsion system you can have discreet tanks for. Only the sail or the engine can possibly hold its propellant.

Re: @theJesuit's suggestion, you can take advantage of Space Dust's advanced abilities to position, shape and size a resource band, or multiple per body, (and its ability to provide extremely large bands, as aroud a star, unlike stock which breaks when you try that) and use that resource as your propellant.

I'd also like to mention that, while I don't know better about this very specific propulsion method, I do know enough about the cousins to this method: the Bussard ramjet and the Solar (or Laser) Sail. In both cases you need a very expansive, very frail, scoop or kite like object which is mounted ahead of the craft and pulls the craft.

You're on to something impressive. I wish you well in its execution, and in the part designs. :)

11 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

This isn't the kind of propulsion system you can have discreet tanks for. Only the sail or the engine can possibly hold its propellant.

Re: @theJesuit's suggestion, you can take advantage of Space Dust's advanced abilities to position, shape and size a resource band, or multiple per body, (and its ability to provide extremely large bands, as aroud a star, unlike stock which breaks when you try that) and use that resource as your propellant.

I'd also like to mention that, while I don't know better about this very specific propulsion method, I do know enough about the cousins to this method: the Bussard ramjet and the Solar (or Laser) Sail. In both cases you need a very expansive, very frail, scoop or kite like object which is mounted ahead of the craft and pulls the craft.

You're on to something impressive. I wish you well in its execution, and in the part designs. :)

great idea <3

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

You need a better model and controller, something similar I did for KSPIE Magnetic Nozzle which act as a magnetic sail when subjected to solar wind

i am still learning blender, its my first time doing a mod, and i think i will update the model in the future when i get on a higher level

13 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

You need a better model and controller, something similar I did for KSPIE Magnetic Nozzle which act as a magnetic sail when subjected to solar wind

anyway made a new model, 

3 hours ago, assimo said:

anyway made a new model, 

can you maybe:

1. Clean the model up? It's 32-sided, not 24 sided like KSP parts are supposed to be, the strut things near the top are too high-poly (12 sides should be enough for those)

2. UV-unwrap it for next release? I would like to do some texturing, but without an unwrapped model nobody can do that, as you need a UV map to tell the 3D program (in this case it would be KSP, Unity, and your preferred 3D modelling application) how to map the texture to the mesh.

3. Model it at a KSP profile size (top bulkhead should be 1.25m, 1.875, 2.5 or 3.75m), delete line 'scale = 3.0', and change rescaleFactor to 1.0

These are all suggestions, not demands

14 minutes ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

can you maybe:

1. Clean the model up? It's 32-sided, not 24 sided like KSP parts are supposed to be, the strut things near the top are too high-poly (12 sides should be enough for those)

2. UV-unwrap it for next release? I would like to do some texturing, but without an unwrapped model nobody can do that, as you need a UV map to tell the 3D program (in this case it would be KSP, Unity, and your preferred 3D modelling application) how to map the texture to the mesh.

3. Model it at a KSP profile size (top bulkhead should be 1.25m, 1.875, 2.5 or 3.75m), delete line 'scale = 3.0', and change rescaleFactor to 1.0

These are all suggestions, not demands

thanks for advice! Yes i will UV-unwrap it.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:36 AM, assimo said:

anyway made a new model, 

Alright, this is a start, but it needs to be able to deploy to a much larger size to give it any meaningfull thrust.

Right not it would only be usefull in combination with a charged particle beam (aka ion beam), which can be quite an effective way to launch a vessel from the Mun.

btw, I think this thread should be moved to development as its clearly not finished

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, this is a start, but it needs to be able to deploy to a much larger size to give it any meaningfull thrust.

Right not it would only be usefull in combination with a charged particle beam (aka ion beam), which can be quite an effective way to launch a vessel from the Mun.

btw, I think this thread should be moved to development as its clearly not finished

The sail is very nerfed, because real one has 64km length, maximally i could do quite bigger than solar sails, and yes i should move it to development

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.