Rememberance of Modders that have left the forums and mods that are dead/ not avaiable anymore :(

Starhelperdude

In remembrance I wanted to throw out some wisdom when it comes to mods and open source.

Open source mods might seem free, but they aren't. They are paid for by their maintainers. 

im mostly out of the mod business. i rarely put time into my game engine, but i don't see anything becoming of that. even my hardware hacking has taken a hit, i got a desk full of dev boards i forgot about or why i ordered them in the first place. i got an i2c current sensor i cant explain and a raspberry pi four that i haven't even booted yet (i got it the week they came out). theres even an occulus quest 2 on my desk, and i might have less than 10 hours on the thing total, just sitting there since crazy religious holiday, i even blew a couple hundred bucks on games. 

Edited by Nuke

It's not just the specific mods or modders that I miss, and there are quite a few on that list. It's the spirit this community had before release, and especially before the sellout to TTI. I suppose it was a natural progression for a released and "finished" game to take, but the gold rush of great new mods is over. Anything "new" that gets added is probably just a new part mod, or some intricate yet small mechanic somebody hadn't quite thought of yet, as every other corner of the game is either hamstring by engine limitations or the cold hard truths of reality. We'll no doubt see a couple more large JNSQ-esque overhaul mods before the last light from the dying kerbal suns goes out, but functionally those overhauls will be little different than what's come before. And eventually even the most critical of mods and plugins will receive a final update.

And then we'll be no more. Just memories in the minds of those who come after us.

We'll hopefully go through this cycle again if KSP2 ever shows itself to be more than just overhyped vaporware.  Or is in any way modable, which itself is a question yet to be answered. 

3 hours ago, Nuke said:

desk full of dev boards i forgot about or why i ordered them in the first place. i got an i2c current sensor i cant explain and a raspberry pi four that i haven't even booted yet

It seems it only gets worse the older you get. I keep finding things I bought for projects decades ago that make me scratch my head, and instantly bring up thoughts of Gandalf becoming befuddled and going all "I have no memory of this place."

Best advice? Burn them. Burn them all. 

No, hang on. Stuck in LotR mode. Just toss them in a box and forget they exist. If they're in a box in the dark unexplored corners of the attic or closet or basement then they're not cluttering up your workbench. Then you can buy more parts for new projects.....

9 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Or is in any way modable, which itself is a question yet to be answered. 

It's been confirmed that KSP2 will be even more moddable than the original game:

On 8/19/2019 at 7:27 PM, PulsarPixie said:

Q: Will mods be as supported in KSP2?

A: Kerbal Space Program 2 has undergone a deep structural overhaul that has enabled us to give modders unprecedented access to systems they could not touch in the original KSP.  We can't wait to reveal more details about mod support at a later time.

So hopefully we'll see a modding community similar to that of KSP spring up - perhaps it'll be even larger.

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It's been confirmed that KSP2 will be even more moddable than the original game:

Sure. And until we have an actual working game and not just magical promised pixie dust (from two years and a different dev team ago) we have no actual idea if that statement has an ounce of truth to it or is just more of the same empty corporate hype noise we've been hearing for the last several years.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

2 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

And until we have an actual working game and not just magical promised pixie dust (from two years and a different dev team ago) we have no actual idea if that statement has an ounce of truth to it or is just more of the same empty corporate hype noise we've been hearing for the last several years.

While that's true, I'd not worry that KSP 2 won't be modifiable until we actually see KSP 2.

TTI bought KSP not just for the game its but for its audience, the community who will buy KSP 2.  That's a community that's been steeped in having a modifiable game for nearly a decade (the first version released was 0.7.3 on 2011 Jun 24).  While we've seen corporations screw up sticking this sort of landing, I have hope for KSP 2 that the decision makers will continue to see both the power of expanding the game to include features of the most popular mods as well as the power of mods to extend the game where they don't think to act and make the product better with no effort they have to pay for.

As for the end of any sort of Golden Age for KSP, I still see new players come into the game and new mod authors put forward their creations, as well as a healthy community of ongoing modders who keep many many mods current with the game.

Edited by Jacke

On 3/1/2021 at 1:43 AM, Starhelperdude said:

R.I.P.  Atomic age :sob: so many cool engines and  a good artstyle

With the exception of the literal lightbulb, I consider Nertea's works a superior replacement.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

With the exception of the literal lightbulb, I consider Nertea's works a superior replacement.

yeah of course, nerts KA is the best, but still for my installs that use the (IMO inferior) stock visuals I would have liked to use it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.