Why are ore percentage different in satelite and map view?

I just got a scan from Minmus with a M700 survey scanner. Can someone explain why the percentage is different? 5.74% is shown by the scanner and map view shows 5.1%. That's not even close to a rounding error.

XwQE4bp.pnguzpp6SX.png

Edited by VMQ
Grammar and syntax ...

44 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

i think because you're moving the whole time

you probably already moved like 2km when you switched into map view

You would have a point if the numbers would change. But they don't. They are the same numbers for the average as reported by the M700 and in map view as in my pictures above.

On 2/28/2021 at 6:47 PM, VMQ said:

Can someone explain why the percentage is different? 5.74% is shown by the scanner and map view shows 5.1%.

On 2/28/2021 at 7:37 PM, Anonymous49 said:

then that's relatively strange, i never used those things in 1.11/1.11.1, MAYBE it's a bug

If you are writing of what I think you are, then it's not a bug.  The scanner module shows extremely low-resolution data, but that data is also shown on a per-biome basis, whereas the Tracking Station shows that data on a per-celestial-body basis.  Differences are to be expected, and the values that you get still won't be very accurate:  in essence, the orbital scanner is really only good for a qualitative test that tells whether the resource is present or absent, not a quantitative test to tell you reliably how much is there.  You'll need to get on the ground and use a surface scanning module to 'ground-truth' the survey and, essentially, calibrate the scan against what you can actually find in the biome in order to get useful numbers.

Also, a disclaimer:  I'm not absolutely positive that this is how it works (I have used SCANSat since before stock mining was a thing) and the wiki, while providing a decent-enough set of instructions on how to use the scanning parts, does not provide much to use in terms of interpreting the data.  I think that this is because in order to get accurate data, you need to get to the surface and run a surface scan, but since we're talking about mining resources, you'd need to go to the surface to make practical use of the data anyway, so the interval between having no scans to having accurate scans (where you are now, with an orbital survey but no surface scan) is supposed to be short.  The orbital survey is meant to be a necessary aid in deciding where to look for resources, but it does not--and cannot--substitute for landing and sifting through some dirt to be certain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.