Threads of the month: March 2021

adsii1970

The KSP forum moderator's team presents the
Threads of the Month
March 2021 edition

Wc1uwCT.png?1

Greetings to all our Kerbalnauts, inventors of strange and wonderful flying machines, and those who develop new methods of tormenting Kerbals:

This is the second month in a row I've volunteered to do the Thread of the Month! I have learned that it's not so bad in doing them and it gives the other forum moderators a break from having to think of pithy things to say. As you are aware, February caused us to witness continued COVID-19 restrictions, additional remote/virtual learning, telecommuting, and whatever else could be done without interacting folks outside of our immediate families. For many of us, our mutual love for Kerbal Space Program and the frequent visits to the forum have allowed many of us to build new friendships and expand our virtual communities during these trying times.

So, rather than me continuing on in a quasi-philosophical rant about the past month, it's time to look at the Threads of the Month for March 2021! We would like to begin by thanking you - the members of our forum family - who have taken the time to nominate these threads:

General community thread of the month:
This category features a thread that adds to the community and doesn't fit in the game support/game mod categories.

This thread was nominated because who hasn't become a little down with all the constant bad news, finger pointing, shaming, and everything else that's going on? Well, if you're tired of all the negativity in the world around you and want to cause someone to have a slight feeling of the warm fuzzies, then why not participate in this thread? We'd like to thank @Starhelperdude for doing something small that has helped brighten the day of those who have visited the thread.

Game Support/Game Mod of the Month:
This category features a mod which adds to the quality of life game play of Kerbal Space Program. For March, we have two mods that tied for the top honor in this category:

One of the exciting things about Kerbal Space Program are our modders who spend hours of their own time developing mods which adds to the depth of the game. For some time, @Nertea has provided everyone on this forum with mods that have not only added to the possibilities of Kerbal Space Program, but that have become "must haves" for many.

Just as we did in February, we have a second entry into this category. This thread, by @lemon cup, is a three step process on how to plan interplanetary transfers. I wish this helpful thread had been around when I tried my first interplanetary mission during version 0.22! :D What took me three days of intense gaming (while consuming a lot of Hot Pockets, Diet Coke, and frequent outbursts of rage and profanity), @lemon cup breaks down into three easy-to-follow steps.

Fan-fiction and Kerbal Space Program-inspired creative threads of the month:
This category features a thread which while is not directly Kerbal Space Program related, may be a creative work, fan-fiction, or other presentation which is related to the game. Last month, we didn't have any nominations where this category applied.

From time to time there are forum members whose work exceeds what anyone thought was possible when it comes to creative works which are inspired by the game. This thread, by @Oraldo revak features a fully developed mini-movie of 63 minutes, containing music, craft (exterior and IVA scenes) and a lot of attention to detail. It's an excellent way to spend some time of your day just watching what's possible within our community!

Honorable mentions:
Each month we get so many good nominations to choose from. Sometimes it's a challenge to choose which threads are going to receive the honor of being the Thread of the Month. But because not every thread nominated each month can be selected, there are always those that become honorable mentions. The honorable mentions for March 2021 are:

Honorable mentions for March may not have made the Thread of The Month this month, but if you think they might be worthy of another opportunity, please renominate it!

Congratulations to all the winners of the Thread of the Month for March! We'd like to thank @Spaceman.Spiff, @Poodmund@Misguided Kerbal, @jimmymcgoochie, @AlamoVampire, @VoidCosmos (sorry, Don't Click This will NEVER get TOTM! ;)) , @RealKerbal3x, @The Doodling Astronaut, and members of the moderation team who nominated this month's contenders. Thank you so much for helping us identify noteworthy threads for this month!

If you find a thread you feel should be considered for next month's thread of the month, then use the "report comment" feature (the three dots on the upper right corner of the comment box) to report the comment. Please put in the text field of the report post "Nomination for thread of the month" and we will do the rest! You can always nominate more than one thread, too.

In case you missed February's thread of the month, you can click here.

Edited by adsii1970
Didn't realize "The" was a part of Doodling Astronaut's name... :/

10 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Congrats guys, always deserve it!

Reveal hidden contents

also lol:

unknown.png

Oof Size Large | Know Your Meme

Ah, so that's why it didn't work, @The Doodling Astronaut! I will fix that problem. For some reason, it didn't dawn on me that "The" was a part of your user name! :confused:

2 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

whoah I did not expect that, nice and many thanks!

You're welcome. It is a nice thread. :)

5 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Ah, so that's why it didn't work, @The Doodling Astronaut! I will fix that problem. For some reason, it didn't dawn on me that "The" was a part of your user name! :confused:

Haha you aren't alone in making that mistake. I did it myself quite a bit. Some people just call me Doodles

4 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

@adsii1970

I think FFT needs pinning :wink:

It's pinned... honest... :cool:

35 minutes ago, Aniruddh said:

Hey there, I tried to nominate FFT last month, but it wasn't acknowledged. Did I do something wrong? I clicked report and labelled it totm.

Anyways congrats to it and the others, it still made it either way!

I'm sorry about that - normally we catch all the nominations... but it might have fallen through. February was the first month I did the TOTM, so it could be a rookie mistake. :blush:

6 hours ago, lemon cup said:

Thanks everyone! Looks like I’ll be making more intermediate/advanced level tutorials in the future. :)

I hope so. Wonderfully documented and the formatting is exquisite. It's like something you'd see from back when games had manuals.

10 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Shouldn't the Human Stuff thread in AddOn Releases be unpinned?

I think it was technically TOTY not TOTM

So it seems like it will be there indefinitely. 

Maybe for the whole year? :wink:

Spoiler

pretty much until the mods feel like removing it

10 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Shouldn't the Human Stuff thread in AddOn Releases be unpinned?

Please feel free to delete this post if/after any moderation has occurred.

:blush: I don't know... As I've said, I'm a newbie at the whole Thread of the Month thing...

17 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I think it was technically TOTY not TOTM

So it seems like it will be there indefinitely. 

Maybe for the whole year? :wink:

Reveal hidden contents

pretty much until the mods feel like removing it

Yes! Exactly! We will go with this...:wink:

57 minutes ago, KerballingSmasher said:

Aw man, are you suuuuure? :P 

Yes, pretty sure. :wink:

Regarding the thread topic, while it is not a single thread, I'd like to nominate

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/24-welcome-aboard/

Welcoming new forum members is one of the most important things we can do, the first impression they get here is not to be underestimated.

Reason mentioning it here: the usual procedure via reporting a particular thread and suggesting it for TOTM is not possible in this case.

Edited by VoidSquid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.