The Never-Ending Contract?

I seem to have found a contract that doesn't want to be completed.

I accepted a contract to take surface samples at 2 sites on Minmus. No problem ... got to the first site, took a sample; got to the second site, took a sample; checked the contract and lo and behold, there's a third site listed. Okay, says I, maybe I just missed it. Got to the third site, took a sample, and *ding* *ding* *ding*  navigation is set to a FOURTH site, and it's listed in the contract. Plus, I've got the bug that won't let me save my game or quit to the main menu. I finally get out, get back in, check MC for the contract details, and it's back to only three sites. 

I know I can use the cheat menu to complete the contract, but it's an interesting bug. 

5 hours ago, maddog59 said:

I seem to have found a contract that doesn't want to be completed.

I accepted a contract to take surface samples at 2 sites on Minmus. No problem ... got to the first site, took a sample; got to the second site, took a sample; checked the contract and lo and behold, there's a third site listed. Okay, says I, maybe I just missed it. Got to the third site, took a sample, and *ding* *ding* *ding*  navigation is set to a FOURTH site, and it's listed in the contract. Plus, I've got the bug that won't let me save my game or quit to the main menu. I finally get out, get back in, check MC for the contract details, and it's back to only three sites. 

I know I can use the cheat menu to complete the contract, but it's an interesting bug. 

The missions on this game are often bugged. I stopped playing career mode because I got sick to death of having to fail contracts because they don't work. You tick all the boxes but they still don't complete. So I just play science mode now. I hope they fix this on ksp 2, though I'm not confident. 

It's not a bug. That's something I call a "treasure hunt" contract. It has at most 5 targets, and they are designed to lead you away from your initial location. I actually think they are designed to lead you over especially difficult terrain, too -- but that may just be me being paranoid. If you look at the exact wording of the contract, it's different from the standard survey contract.

6 hours ago, bewing said:

It's not a bug. That's something I call a "treasure hunt" contract. It has at most 5 targets, and they are designed to lead you away from your initial location. I actually think they are designed to lead you over especially difficult terrain, too -- but that may just be me being paranoid. If you look at the exact wording of the contract, it's different from the standard survey contract.

I did notice that the sites were leading me further and further afield. Was a real pain, because I only had enough monoprop in the jet pack to get to one site at a time, without a long trek back to base to replenish. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll be more careful reading the contracts in the future!

I don't think the contracts deliberately take you further and further from a base. I don't think they would know (or take into consideration) what base you have, or whether there is enough fuel/etc to get back to it. I think they're just random within an overall wider area or distance apart.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.