[0.17] [plugin+part] InterPlanetaryTransfer Calculator 0.1.1!

younata

Hello!

I've been working on a plugin to compute the phase angles and such required to reach other planets (or, other moons if you're already orbiting one [e.g. from mun to minmus]).

Here's the fruit of my labor: http://rachelbrindle.com/ksp/InterPlanetaryTransferCalc.zip (this will always point to the most recent release)

(Current version is 0.1.1)

As with the FuelTransferModule, the code is on github

Image showing it in action: http://i.imgur.com/Sipsc.png

0.1.1: Added new part, courtesey of PrincessJane

Added temporary solution to "being in sun crashes plugin" bug.

0.1.0: fixed bug causing windows to fail to display/display oddly.

0.0.4: fixed bug which caused window to "disappear" (or, you know, draw upwards).

0.0.3: fixed incompatibilies with mechjeb

fixed ejection angle calculation (in doing the optimizations, I messed up and it would display 90 degrees for the desired ejection angle for everything)

0.0.2: Added toggle for showing calculations

added some optimizations

0.0.1: initial release

bug reporting guidelines:

I need the following:

a) a screenshot of the bug.

B) what you did to cause it.

Have fun!

Edited by younata

Coming from someone who doesnt know a lot about all of this stuff, when you hit the correct angle do you do a prograde burn until your on an intercept path? Just some slight tutorial to help me understand, been trying to get to duna for a while with not much luck and some very funny orbits, only got caught in dunas sphere of influence once and i couldnt circularise. THanks :)

Few things I noticed when using this plugin

1. For me at least, it adds a significant load to the FPS. I think this is simply due to the complex nature of the constantly-changing mathematics behind where you are relative to everything else, but this problem could easily be circumvented by allowing the user to specify which body they wish to calculate for, so they are not all calculated at once.

2. I didn't receive any GUI elements until I ended flight and restarted using the restart flight option. I don't know if this is a common bug to plugins but I've not really seen this particular bug with other mods.

Apart from that, quite useful!

Few things I noticed when using this plugin

1. For me at least, it adds a significant load to the FPS. I think this is simply due to the complex nature of the constantly-changing mathematics behind where you are relative to everything else, but this problem could easily be circumvented by allowing the user to specify which body they wish to calculate for, so they are not all calculated at once.

2. I didn't receive any GUI elements until I ended flight and restarted using the restart flight option. I don't know if this is a common bug to plugins but I've not really seen this particular bug with other mods.

Apart from that, quite useful!

I also have done next to 0 optimizations to this code.

Like, literally, every frame it is rebuilding it's list, and running the calculations. it should not have to do this. (I do it for debugging reasons, but now that it's released, I should optimize it)

and just committed 0.0.2

You can just redownload from http://rachelbrindle.com/ksp/InterPlanetaryTransferCalc.zip. The previous release is at http://rachelbrindle.com/ksp/InterPlanetaryTransferCalc-0.0.1.zip

This version is on github already, see the original post for that link.

changed:

added a toggle for showing the calculations

added some optimizations (stores previously calculated results in a dictionary, doesn't recompute possible targets if it hasn't changed orbiting body.) This should help with the FPS problems.

You've got a nasty incompatibility with MechJeb in the UI department. Your window doesn't pop up, and all the MechJeb window toggles are broken. Actually, *all* UI elements get broken. Can't even use the ESC menu.

Edited by Frostiken

Download is giving me a 404

Works for me...

You've got a nasty incompatibility with MechJeb in the UI department. Your window doesn't pop up, and all the MechJeb window toggles are broken. Actually, *all* UI elements get broken. Can't even use the ESC menu.

... That's surprising. It'll get fixed sometime after I install mechjeb on here.

I put this on, w/o mechjeb too, and no window pops up.

what. Ok, I have an idea for why that is. If I'm right, and I shouldn't be, then... wow. This may also solve the mechjeb confliction.

Edit: I can confirm that mechjeb messes with it. I'm attempting my fix.

Edited by younata

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.