Kerbin Feature (Re)Naming Initiative

total

WIP]Kerbin Science Initiative - 146 More Biomes for Kerbin - Add-on  Development - Kerbal Space Program Forums

This beautiful map was originally made for the Kerbin Science Initiative and I have been using it for reference for anytime I wanted to refer to some part of Kerbin. However sometimes I find the map lacking either due to some features lacking names or that the names are maybe a bit silly. I was hoping to remake or just improve this map with the community. I'm interesting in hearing what the community has to say about some of the names on this map and the suggestions you guys come up with. I'll start with listing some of the problems i have found on this map from left to right on the map:

1: The Mamba river has come to be known as the Kile (kebal Nile) as it is the longest river on kerbin

2:West Kulge appears twice. I think this side is okay but maybe  the other part should have some other name

3:Having 3 sets of "Kairo mountains" is a bit silly since they are nowhere near each other (rename 2 and keep on Kairo mountains)

4:Ocean of smiles, name is a  bit silly but since the smiley face is in the game (though how it was discovered before the ocean was named i dont know). And a bunch of islands need names

5: Bamboo isles good name for the group but individual islands need names.

6:Booster islands need names.

7: The Twins need names

8:I think the sea region beyond the twins is distinct enough from the Ocean of smiles to be an another ocean.

9: The semi-separate lands mass west of Gnosis should/could be another continent

11:unnamed sea west of said continent:

12: near the top next to terror mountains is an unnamed lake and below that 2 more.

13:  Maw as a name for a peninsula is a bit stupid

14: Sets of features known a bulge something. one of the mountains is fine but other needs a unique name. And a bulge makes no sense for the name of a bay. 

15: Great divide peninsula is a  bit of a mouthfull and give the strait at the bottom a name.

16: Sea of worms name is a bit weird and has unnamed islands.

17: Zacharov is a good name but now there is a place known as woomerang launch site (so make the names more local)

18:if the sea of Worms had only one island calling it islands of worms would be fine nut other wise doesnt make too much sense

19:top right has an unnamed lake

20: bottom right unnamed islands.

21: Overall has many many names which could be a lot better too.

I think The best way to come up with names is to take inspiration from somewhere. For example we now have the DSN locations:

File:KerbinBases1.2.png

Also kerbinside:

p7C5OBh.jpg

And naming places after scientist, ksp youtuber and modders. as was done in the fall of kerbin youtube series i suggest the unnamed sea is named the Acean sea

Kerbals at War Mod (pre-alpha 0.1.16) (WIP) - Maps - Age of History Games

Please leave your suggestions below.

Update 1:

Oceans, Seas, Continents and some other stuff has received names. Most of them lifted or inspired by the other other maps here. Thanks Caerfinon for sharing the Kerbal Nation States map.

Hopefully the compression isnt too bad.

Zjl63Oi.jpg

Edited by total

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I say the "Overwatch" mountains should just keep the current name K2.

I think K2 is more the name of the tallest mountain in the range, and the range would have some other name.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.