What do you think about the American movie about the origins of NASA called "The Right Stuff" from 1983?

What do you think about the American movie about the origins of NASA called "The Right Stuff" from 1983?

have Asperger's Syndrome, although when I was a very young child, but then in the 1980s (I was born in 1986) no one in Poland or even America, no one had heard of neurodevelopmental disorders, I was originally diagnosed with ADHD, only later changed to Aspergers.

My physics teacher said that under communism you could get the label of a subversive if someone was too interested in "imperialist cosmonautic technology", i.e. the American one :-)

Poland, Hungary and Romania were the only countries of the former Eastern bloc that decided to broadcast the landing of Neil Armstrong on the moon, which liquided off the USSR, although in general my mother's generation enjoyed the successes of the Soviets in space, although we did not like the USSR as such, for example Gagarin Flight was very covered in Poland because  made a mockery out America, because the Americans had ridiculed the Slavs earlier, so it was nice when the Slav of Yuri Gagarin overtook Mr. Shepard in who would be the first man in space, and the American rockets of that period had too little power to send these little capsules of the Mercury program into orbit. My mother said that the Russians sent a woman Tereshkova into orbit, and the Americans were too big sexists to let their woman fly Apollo, my mother died in 2017, I think that she would like her series "For all mankind" because there is an alternative, more women-friendly reality I'm a guy BTW 

There are conspiracy theories that the first man in space was a Russian woman, but she died trying to re-enter the atmosphere after the flight ended :-( 

Another of my favorite films was the completely fictional "Space Camp" broadcast by TVP on the Polish national station in the Saturday Z Disney block, in the early 90s, my uncle joked that he would be betting that it would be a Soviet "could" accidentally send a school trip to oribita, since one Russian, unfortunately with a Polish surname, Wiesław Kudryński, a Polish-Russian allowed his son to pilot Airbus, and boy crashed it no survivors  :-( 

And here clip from the SpaceCamp

I saw The Right Stuff a few times in the theater when it came out with various space nerd friends. We all knew the movie and still drop quotes from it. My response to the SN10 landing in this forum was a reference from it ("F-in A, bubba!").

If I dropped a reference to it in a text to my friend at mission control right now, I know he'd instantly get the reference.

It was a fun movie, though it treats Gus Grissom pretty poorly.

I read Tom Wolfe's book The Right Stuff and thought it was one of the best books I had ever read.  When I heard that they were going to film it I had reservations,  I didn't think it could possibly be filmed.  When I saw the film I was pleasantly surprised.  Despite all the myth-making, flaky bits and telescoping of facts I thought they had done a great job. I tried to watch the recent Right Stuff mini series but gave up on the second episode.  The makers were obviously just going for fantasy and it was all turning into just another soap opera. 

This is something that annoys me.  I feel that the true story of the American space programme has all the drama and human interest that anyone can want.  It does not need any fictionalising or fantasizing,  It can stand perfectly well on its own. I felt the same after watchin First Man. Didn't care for that either. But then, I am just a Grumpy Old Man!

8 hours ago, benzman said:

I read Tom Wolfe's book The Right Stuff and thought it was one of the best books I had ever read.  When I heard that they were going to film it I had reservations,  I didn't think it could possibly be filmed.  When I saw the film I was pleasantly surprised.  Despite all the myth-making, flaky bits and telescoping of facts I thought they had done a great job. I tried to watch the recent Right Stuff mini series but gave up on the second episode.  The makers were obviously just going for fantasy and it was all turning into just another soap opera. 

This is something that annoys me.  I feel that the true story of the American space programme has all the drama and human interest that anyone can want.  It does not need any fictionalising or fantasizing,  It can stand perfectly well on its own. I felt the same after watchin First Man. Didn't care for that either. But then, I am just a Grumpy Old Man!

First Man was awesome and Mr Armstrong said he is pride of being nerd :-)

On 3/5/2021 at 7:25 AM, tater said:

I saw The Right Stuff a few times in the theater when it came out with various space nerd friends. We all knew the movie and still drop quotes from it. My response to the SN10 landing in this forum was a reference from it ("F-in A, bubba!").

If I dropped a reference to it in a text to my friend at mission control right now, I know he'd instantly get the reference.

My favorite quote to use is, "What Gus is trying to say is...", which is used to agree with and elaborate on somebody else's argument.

Great book. Fine movie.

I was actually introduced to the film "The Right Stuff" back in middle school by my shop teacher. I don't actually remember why he wanted to show us that movie, or what it had to do with shop class. I primarily remember the scene with Chuck Yeager (RIP) looking up from the back of a horse in the desert, as he wasn't selected for the space program.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.