Show and Tell - New engine exhaust effects

StarSlay3r

Our VFX artist Aaron Lundquist continues to create new engine exhaust effects. The first of these engines runs on an as-yet-announced fuel (guesses welcome)! The other two are metallic hydrogen and jet engine.

We're all really proud of Aaron's shock diamonds! The score, as always, is by the incomparable Howard Mostrom.

12 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

That purple pink exhaust looks like methane.

Metallic hydrogen exhaust is pink. Source: Next gen tech video from a long time ago.

These all look great (jet engines confirmed!) but I look at all replies and see people comparing the original work, based on actual physics, to mods. It's not closer to anything other than accurate representation of plume based on related variables.

Also I knew something would drop today, it's Friday after all.

Edited by The Aziz

13 minutes ago, KSPStar said:

I like how these meetings are on my second favourite day of the week and also have an other activity that's good for me

also, which do you think is better, these or waterfall? I can't decide, I like both

1 hour ago, KSPStar said:

Our VFX artist Aaron Lundquist continues to create new engine exhaust effects.

This is looking promising. You guys might be interested in @Nertea's Waterfall mod for KSP1. @Zorg and myself have been creating some wonderful exhaust plumes with said mod that look very similar to what Aaron has been making.
As an example, this is my most recent plume design for the aerospike. it shows throttling up, then expansion due to decreasing atmospheric pressure.
OutTJm2.gif

If I have to give a constructive point of criticism, I'd point to the white-clipping of the plume when the intensity gets too high.
But I'm sure that you guys have noticed that as well :-) and might even be intentional.

Is it me or is the video quality a bit blurry even when picking 1080p on youtube?

Nevertheless the effects are great and what I expect after watching so many real launches in the past few years since KSP got me heavily into rocketry, which actually bring me to my next question. Will the plume expand as rockets move up in the atmosphere?

Lastly the music is great as always in these video, this track reminds me a bit of McCreary's work on Moore's Battlestar Galactica with both the drums and those woodwinds(not sure if those are those?) at ~20 seconds. It's so good it finally made me want to bother to login and post after about 4 years! The music in these show and tell videos is truly great.

Edited by Pulstar

Nice! I know it’s not gameplay-critical, but the plumes in stock KSP always bothered me a bit. Not just how samey and consistently expanded (or over expanded?) they were, but how the particles got few and far between as the game slowed down. With what appears to be a mesh-based solution, I’m guessing we won’t see those issues in KSP2, as well as getting some nice eye candy! 

13 minutes ago, Pulstar said:

Is it me or is the video quality a bit blurry even when picking 1080p on youtube?

Same problem for me. I dont think its Youtubes fault, since the video posted on Reddit has the same issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.