Want a part revamp? Post your request here.

I'll paste my parts idea from another thread:

My suggestion for new/revamped parts is to do something jet engine related. There are certainly good jet engines in KSP but there may be some gaps that could use filling.

-Scimitar engine: The RAPIER without the rocket mode. Many SSTO designs use only the jet engine mode of the RAPIER, trading its high top speed for its lower efficiency and using a dedicated rocket instead of the RAPIER's rocket mode. Maybe as a trade-off between the Scimitar and the RAPIER, the Scimitar could be lighter or more efficient, or cheaper. This engine would be used a lot for SSTO craft.

-Pulse jet engine: A very cheap and light jet engine for the beginning of career modes. Maybe have it replace the Juno in the tech tree and bump the Juno up a level, or maybe have the pulse jet down a level. The pulse jet engine would be a lot less efficient than other more advanced jets (1000-1500 Isp?) but it would be useful for puttering around the KSC area and getting some early game science, or for building micro jet engine craft, or for doing cheap contracts. The part number could be J-31, inspired by the Ford PJ31 pulsejet.

-Rolls-Royce Olympus: A very efficient jet engine that tops out at just over Mach 2. The Goliath engine would fill this role except it doesn't really look like it's a dedicated supersonic jet engine. If the Goliath does fill this role, then an actual GE90 that tops out at about Mach 1 would be nice.

-Ramjet engine: An intermediate between the RAPIER and the Whiplash. The J58 wasn't a true ramjet and couldn't get as high of a speed as one. The ramjet would have intermediate efficiency and top speed. Maybe the Whiplash could be nerfed to accommodate this.

-Whiplash afterburner: The J58 had an efficient afterburner, so I feel like the Whiplash engine should have a more efficient dry mode and a slightly less efficient wet mode, just like the Panther engine.

-Liquid air cycle engine or air turborocket: An engine that has high specific impulse at sea level and its specific impulse gets gradually lower as the atmosphere thins. Good for very high speed atmospheric flight but less optimal in space. This would be useful for large and streamlined craft. The RAPIER would fill this role except its rocket mode doesn't quite work this way.

-A more realistic precooler: The real purpose of a precooler is to slow down the incoming air that comes into a jet engine, as well as cooling it down to increase the engine's efficiency. The precooler could maybe increase the Mach limit of any engine attached to it, and/or increase its specific impulse. For balance, its internal fuel tanks could be removed, while keeping dry mass the same.

-Motorjet engine: Has a much flatter thrust curve than other jet engines and thus gives higher low-Mach thrust and TWR. Would be good for STOL / carrier landings.

On 3/6/2021 at 6:55 AM, SOXBLOX said:

We need pure colors, no crinkle lines, seams, or rivets

You mean like, with NO textures? Nah. The slight dirty look (especially on e.g. BACC Thumper) can definitely look terrible sometimes, but pure colors in my opinion would be very boring, artificial and flat.

20 hours ago, LHACK4142 said:

You mean like, with NO textures? Nah. The slight dirty look (especially on e.g. BACC Thumper) can definitely look terrible sometimes, but pure colors in my opinion would be very boring, artificial and flat.

No, I mean glossy solid white or black. I can't really build, say, Electron, in stock KSP right now. Maybe some very minimal welding seams, but nothing major. Look at Falcon 9. It doesn't have foam insulation, black stripes that look like they came from the 60's, or highly visible seams. Just nice, smooth metal.

And, yeah, keep the current textures as variants, of course. 

On 3/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, SOXBLOX said:

No, I mean glossy solid white or black. I can't really build, say, Electron, in stock KSP right now. Maybe some very minimal welding seams, but nothing major. Look at Falcon 9. It doesn't have foam insulation, black stripes that look like they came from the 60's, or highly visible seams. Just nice, smooth metal.

And, yeah, keep the current textures as variants, of course. 

Ah, I see. That makes sense, and yeah, that would be really nice to have in the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.