Could you become pilot if you had ASD Asperger or something like this

Originally I was misdiagnosed with ADHD, only later it was changed to Asperger, I also had epilepsy for some time, probably caused by concussion while playing with my cousin, I fell headlong straight on my head, then there were convulsions, although over the years, as I became a teenager in in the late 90s, everything healed spontaneously :-)
One doctor said that it was a lot of noise, that maybe it was Rolandic epilepsy which is not as dangerous as it may seem and is often associated with the diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome or ADHD, at least since 1998 my EEG is 2.5 hz alfa and I don't take any brain medications ;-)

As a teenager, I went to a special summer camp for children with ADHD or Asperger, I met a new friend there who had coexisting ADHD and Asperger, but also membership in Polish Mensa because he had 150 IQ

We had a common passion for Cosmonautics and Aviation, our favorite films were "The Right Stuff" and "Apollo 13", he came to this camp there because he beat the bully who tormented him, he had a criminal case before our Polish family court, but he said that Mrs. bold as a case file that a nerd like him could beat another kid who is almost as big as an adult, the judge decided that it was a self-defense and therefore legally protected, and ordered his school to restore him as a student, but also ordered him that ma should refrain from other fights and be under the care of a psychiatrist until the age of 18.

He told me that he was going to get a pilot's license when he was an adult (it was in 2003) I said that I would also like to be a pilot, but I think the Polish Civil Aviation Office would not even give me 2nd class medical examinations, because I even had epilepsy completely healed, but it probably doesn't matter to them.

My friend then said that he was going to get a pilot's license, that I can, too, because when it was Rolandic epilepsy and I would not have any seizures for 10 years, he would not even report it in my place, said that he would go to a medical examination , he will say about celiacs and allergies but he will not say ADHD or his autism that ULC can love himself, the Wrieght brothers most likely had autism and Wernher von Braun became a "good German" and then a "good American" then nothing bad will happen if he is somewhere a pilot with Asperger ;-)

Having Asperger's myself, I say why wouldn't / couldn't you become a pilot? We have our issues, we also have our strengths NTs don't have.

That said, we're living in a NT world, have to learn their language, their culture, their ways to communicate, to interact, to live. It's not our world, we have to adapt. Which we can do.

Don't worry too much, learn how they do, imitate, adapt. And be yourself. 

Reach for the stars, if you want to, it's not that they any more far away for Aspies than for NTs :) 

1 minute ago, VoidSquid said:

Having Asperger's myself, I say why wouldn't / couldn't you become a pilot? We have our issues, we also have our strengths NTs don't have.

That said, we're living in a NT world, have to learn their language, their culture, their ways to communicate, to interact, to live. It's not our world, we have to adapt. Which we can do.

Don't worry too much, learn how they do, imitate, adapt. And be yourself. 

Reach for the stars, if you want to, it's not that they any more far away for Aspies than for NTs :) 

that sad that we are treated like trash :-( 

Just now, Pawelk198604 said:

that sad that we are treated like trash :-( 

There are always two parties to that, aren't they? The one who treats, the other who allows to be treated.

Be yourself, instead of the person people want you to be. And yes, that does include smiling at times you feel the opposite. At times being a chameleon.

Most NTs are not ill meaning, they simply have no idea about the other, our world.

Don't want to bother you with examples from my life, but let me add: we are outsiders, they feel it as well as we do. But we do have our strengths, strengths they often lack, it is not that we are useless, 2nd class, we're just different in some aspects.

One example though, if I may: my boss, my coworkers don't like me much (for obvious reasons), but they NEED my expertise, can't do without me.

We are different: yes. 2nd class, insufficient? Disabled? Not at all, but maybe they are? :) 

Check this out please, if you may:

And what do you think about American Astronaut Pioneer Mr Charles "Pete" Conrad when i was kid mine friend said that he think that he most likely  had  ADHD or ASD even trough he thought the first one and Neil Armstrong might be an Aspie.

I'm not familiar with 

2 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

American Astronaut Pioneer Mr Charles "Pete" Conrad

sorry. One of my earliest childhood memories is the Apollo 11, but the name you mentioned doesn't ring a bell.

Maybe a cultural difference, I'm not from the US but Switzerland. 

42 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

I'm not familiar with 

sorry. One of my earliest childhood memories is the Apollo 11, but the name you mentioned doesn't ring a bell.

Maybe a cultural difference, I'm not from the US but Switzerland. 

Srly, how you can not heard about Pete Conrad commander of Apollo 12, he was very famous and was commander of skylab . 

I may have heard that name, though still, that name isn't familiar, I'd have to look it up, tbh.

We (as in we Aspies) do have our "obsessions", but mine actually were not in spaceflight, in particular not during my teens. Had other issues, so to speak.

Not an official answer, but a likely stab in the dark: epilepsy, ever, is likely a disqualifying condition.  Does not matter whether you have not had an event in a while, the owners of multi-million dollar air/spacecraft that might crash into a school of children just are not going to risk it.

Also - having been through many, many military-level physicals... there's a lot of bureaucratic stuff based on old understandings / preconceptions that make blanket rulings about classes of conditions.  I know that well into the 2000's, having ADHD that you have been receiving medical treatment for is largely disqualifying.  Although, if you had had it as a child, then gotten off the meds for several years and could prove adequate performance in school, exceptions were made.  Aspergers -  I don't know about, nor do I know whether Autism was disqualifying... although like everything, was probably something that mild cases could apply for a waiver for.  Again, anyone who required some form of treatment or accommodation?  Not so much.

All of that said - the military is a hugely competitive sphere, and where you have seven candidates for three super sexy technical jobs and six of them are perfect physical specimens,  the seventh person showing up with prior medical issues is an easy person to cross off the list.   

Fair?  No.

Reasonable and probably smart to do?  Sadly yes.

Now - in the civilian sphere, there are a lot more opportunities - and the easiest of which is to start your own spaceship company.  When you are rich, and the boss... there's not much you can't do.  It's when you hope to have someone else pay for stuff, and also pay you that things get competitive

Here’s the FAA’s take on seizures and epilepsy.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item46/amd/nc/

I was not aware of such a thing as Rolandic epilepsy.  I, like many others, had always assumed epilepsy is automatically disqualifying. Interesting.

I would suggest a “off the record” consultation with someone familiar with aviation medicals in your country.

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Not an official answer, but a likely stab in the dark: epilepsy, ever, is likely a disqualifying condition.  Does not matter whether you have not had an event in a while, the owners of multi-million dollar air/spacecraft that might crash into a school of children just are not going to risk it.

Also - having been through many, many military-level physicals... there's a lot of bureaucratic stuff based on old understandings / preconceptions that make blanket rulings about classes of conditions.  I know that well into the 2000's, having ADHD that you have been receiving medical treatment for is largely disqualifying.  Although, if you had had it as a child, then gotten off the meds for several years and could prove adequate performance in school, exceptions were made.  Aspergers -  I don't know about, nor do I know whether Autism was disqualifying... although like everything, was probably something that mild cases could apply for a waiver for.  Again, anyone who required some form of treatment or accommodation?  Not so much.

All of that said - the military is a hugely competitive sphere, and where you have seven candidates for three super sexy technical jobs and six of them are perfect physical specimens,  the seventh person showing up with prior medical issues is an easy person to cross off the list.   

Fair?  No.

Reasonable and probably smart to do?  Sadly yes.

Now - in the civilian sphere, there are a lot more opportunities - and the easiest of which is to start your own spaceship company.  When you are rich, and the boss... there's not much you can't do.  It's when you hope to have someone else pay for stuff, and also pay you that things get competitive

My buddie said if it comes to  flight medicine never told them whole true because doctos would allways try to spoil you plesure, that it was once cause of boy who was need to be raised in sterile environment, boy surived it thanks to bone transfer, but died eventually and doctor not allowed to follow his last whish whisch was glass of Coca-Cola even if it was mathematical certainty that  he will died anyway :-(

Sorry for my Emglish 

https://fabiosa.com/lbmkt-ctfk-rslpr-audkz-pbdlr-12-years-without-hugs-or-cola-a-rare-disease-forced-the-boy-spend-all-his-life-in-a-bubble/

That Doctors derailed career of American Astronaut Donald Slayton because of some insignificant heart problems :-(   

3 hours ago, mrfox said:

Here’s the FAA’s take on seizures and epilepsy.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item46/amd/nc/

I was not aware of such a thing as Rolandic epilepsy.  I, like many others, had always assumed epilepsy is automatically disqualifying. Interesting.

I would suggest a “off the record” consultation with someone familiar with aviation medicals in your country.

LOL :D 

What do you think about this guy he is must be aSpie :-)

I think most of skateboarders must  have Autism/ADHD or something similar :D   

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.