How are your forum names pronounced correctly?

Starhelperdude

3 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

I don't know if there's a forum rules violation in your post, but there's definitely a war crime of some sort.

You'd be surprised that the guy who came up with the standard agrees with the less popular opinion.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:32 AM, YNM said:

You'd be surprised that the guy who came up with the standard agrees with the less popular opinion.

Way i see it gif =\= jiff. That may be what the creator wanted but when the majority of people say that using a J sound is wrong and to use a guh sound (think tigger from winnie the pooh saying how to spell his name) then the creator becomes wrong. But thats just my .02.

No sane person would ever call a .gif a "jiff" - Doesn't matter that this was the original notion of the inventor, it will be "Ghiff" forever, the way normal ppl say it!

Back on topic,

The name is Moach, it rhymes with "Coach" or "Roach",  or "Poach". 

For english speakers it's hard to get it wrong.

For Latin language natives, on the other hand, it's almost guaranteed they'll mess it up from reading without having heard it out loud beforehand.  - Unless they're well familiar with english, and correctly assume that a random person on the internet expects his name to be pronounced with english-based phonemes.

And yes, I've had people outside the internet (IRL) address me by that name.  I suppose they found it catchy...

7 hours ago, Moach said:

For english speakers it's hard to get it wrong.

For Latin language natives, on the other hand, it's almost guaranteed they'll mess it up from reading without having heard it out loud beforehand.

Amusingly the same can be said for gif...... Folks keep writing that it might be pronounced "jiff" with a "J" sound, which to my ears sounds like the typical Spanish/Mexican J, ala Jacinto or Joaquín or Jefe or etc., more of an equally confused gurgley hy sound. So... hiff? Except ghiff? Not to be confused with ghiff, of course, or hgiff, which itself sounds like gif but doesn't because it's not and shouldn't. 

Personally I'll just keep pronouncing it like a t-less gift.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Kernel" like Colonel or a popcorn kernel or that nerdy linux thing I keep hearing about.

"Kraken" like Crack-inn, just the Norse sea monster. Believe it or not, I didn't name myself after the KSP Kraken.

On 3/11/2021 at 4:14 AM, Cydonian Monk said:

I don't know if there's a forum rules violation in your post, but there's definitely a war crime of some sort.

Unless you pronounce "Graphic" like "Giraffe", it should be pronounced Geonovast with a hard G. I've always read it with a soft G/ J sound, though. If it's a J sound, I'm fighting @Geonovast for saying Gif with a soft G sound like some kind of egg-nor-ray-mousse.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:17 AM, Kernel Kraken said:

nerdy linux thing I keep hearing about.

All operating systems have one, you just don't hear about people running around compiling their own Windows or Mac kernels.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:17 AM, Kernel Kraken said:

I'm fighting @Geonovast for saying Gif with a soft G sound like some kind of egg-nor-ray-mousse.

I pronounce Gif with a hard 'G' and Geonovast with a soft 'G'.  I just wanted see what kind of reactions I would get.  ;)

Mine is simple. But, in my signature, Kiebherr is pronounced "Keeb-Hair" and Liebherr is pronounced "Leeb-Hair". Kiebherr is the Kerbal version of the German construction equipment/crane/fridge/gear cutting machine manufacturer Liebherr.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.