Shuttle Adventures: An Album of Kerbalized Space Shuttle Missions

Kuiper_Belt

7FB87PD.jpgaZg0iiZ.jpg

Wait a second? Japan doesn't operate the Space Shuttle! For that matter that isn't even a Space Shuttle!

iA7r2TX.jpg

Ah... there's the Shuttle!

STS-72 and The Space Flyer Unit Coming Soon!

And for those who lurk in the BDB thread like myself you probably know what is coming afterwards! For the uninitiated:

re1xDHa.jpegNdTYePz.jpegaa8Ch3h.jpeg

Saturn Shuttle Coming Less Soon But Still Pretty Soon!

Edited by Kuiper_Belt

STS-62-A: Launch From Vandenburg

CSnlFm2.png

STS-62-A was a planned shuttle mission to deliver a reconnaissance satellite into a polar orbit, this would be a first for the space shuttle. It was expected to use Space Shuttle Discovery and would be the first crewed launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. It was to launch from SLC-6 (The Delta IV pad) and land on Runway 12 in Vandenberg. 

hVoCcqY.png

Here you can see the Shuttle Assembly Building (foreground) and the Mobile Service Tower (background).

6skSwUq.png

The mission would have launched on the 15th July 1986 and had a crew of 7.

zsN87dV.png

3BoftaY.png

PHAR507.png

8ibTLRy.png

Here you can see Discovery flying over Baja California, aiming to place itself in a 57° orbit.

qJ9ihFk.png

7rXiP5g.png

lu5r70H.png

XhiVfm4.png

h9GvdiZ.png

0RIVFpi.png

0J7R588.png

jGDuPea.png

GqWWj4I.png

I hope you have enjoyed :) 

14 hours ago, Jacktical said:

STS-62-A: Launch From Vandenburg

CSnlFm2.png

STS-62-A was a planned shuttle mission to deliver a reconnaissance satellite into a polar orbit, this would be a first for the space shuttle. It was expected to use Space Shuttle Discovery and would be the first crewed launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. It was to launch from SLC-6 (The Delta IV pad) and land on Runway 12 in Vandenberg. 

hVoCcqY.png

Here you can see the Shuttle Assembly Building (foreground) and the Mobile Service Tower (background).

6skSwUq.png

The mission would have launched on the 15th July 1986 and had a crew of 7.

zsN87dV.png

3BoftaY.png

PHAR507.png

8ibTLRy.png

Here you can see Discovery flying over Baja California, aiming to place itself in a 57° orbit.

qJ9ihFk.png

7rXiP5g.png

lu5r70H.png

XhiVfm4.png

h9GvdiZ.png

0RIVFpi.png

0J7R588.png

jGDuPea.png

GqWWj4I.png

I hope you have enjoyed :) 

Weren't there plans for shuttles to launch KH-9 Hexagons with the mapping camera removed to fit into the payload bay?

7 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Weren't there plans for shuttles to launch KH-9 Hexagons with the mapping camera removed to fit into the payload bay?

Not quite sure, all I could find about the payload was that it was a 'reconnaissance payload' and so I just decided to put a Lacrosse-1 in there.

STS-72 - January 11th 1996

CacRM0Z.jpg

Standing by at Pad 39-B, Endeavour's crew of six boarded their ship. While on the pad, the characteristically full payload bay of a shuttle was rather empty by comparison of other missions. Carrying a suite of experiments including but not limited to the Shuttle Solar Backscatter Ultraviolet Experiment (SSBUV-8) for it's 8th flight, the Shuttle Laser Altimeter Payload and the OAST-Flyer, A small spacecraft that would be deployed by the Space Shuttle for several days of isolated free flight before being captured and returned to the payload bay.

Though numerous in experiments, the lack of occupied volume in the payload bay hints at the primary mission. Launched 10 months prior was the Space Flyer Unit  and would capture and return the SFU to Earth.

H-II TF3 - March 18th 1995

jAhdQv3.jpg

On the third flight of the new Japanese H-II launch vehicle was the Space Flyer Unit (SFU), a collaborative project between the Institute of Space and Astronautical Science, the National Space Development Agency (NASDA) and the Ministry of International Trade and Industry. In addition to the SFU was Himawari 5, a meteorological satellite bound for geostationary orbit.

Standing by at the Yoshinobu Launch Complex of the Tanegashima Space Center of Japan, H-II TF3 is go for launch.  HlYaHZf.jpgbOyNSEL.jpgGGHkXxp.jpgzEIPoiO.jpguSouwXT.jpgKUIbSR9.jpg

The SFU now stayed in LEO for 10 months waiting for it recovery by Endeavour. The Full H-II TF-3 Album.

5s0gyZn.jpg

Endeavour and her crew are waiting to launch into a rendezvous orbit with the SFU. At 5:41 UTC Endeavour lifted off from Pad 39-B bound for the Japanese Satellite to retrieve it.

3xRFf0y.jpgk9OqSwE.jpgxzyCJMr.jpg

Once in orbit, corrections are made for a final approach with the SFU on flight day 3, where the crew will maneuver in to retrieve it with Canadarm.

yzMikvm.jpg1qGIEEa.jpgWtgvkkv.jpg

The SFU has 2 large solar panels were intended to be retracted for return to Earth with the rest of the space craft, but due to an malfunction the panels could not retract. The ground jettisoned the panels and the continued with the procedures to approach and grapple the SFU with Canadarm.

kBaFjOq.jpgn7VUH7o.jpgRg1P6DY.jpgmhTWV9D.jpg5402JOA.jpg3WwyZ5Z.jpg

JAXA astronaut Koichi Wakata, the Canadarm Operator plucks the SFU from the black and prepares to place her in the empty portion of the payload bay.

8Q9BR9F.jpgi4NNKu0.jpgPfYvUqE.jpglkrH73o.jpg

Authors note, I'm not certain if the U.S. flag and The Worm would be on the SFU, I just thought it would look pretty! I'd say it does but that's a story for another time :P 

After stowing the Space Flyer Unit in the payload bay with the RMS, The crew of Endeavour deploy the OAST Flyer for a 50 hour free flight.

jsys8Ki.jpg

Afterwards, the crew begin preparations for EVA-1, conducted by Leroy Chiao and Dan Barry on Flight Day 5 for six and a half hours. The primary objective of EVA-1 being to secure the SFU to Endeavour and connect power and data cables to keep the spacecraft alive until landing. The OSTA Flyer is pictured as still attached to Endeavour where in reality it was currently in free flight during the time of EVA-1.

8rhxJRB.jpg7jGG38G.jpgkFO12Fv.jpgzGR2uXm.jpg

On Flight Day Six, after the 50 elapsed hours, The OAST Flyer, the seventh of the Spartan Spacecraft Series, was approached by Endeavour to be grappled and returned to the payload bay.

1zrkjwe.jpgpuMjp04.jpgVAtUfy9.jpg696CpOA.jpg

After the retrieval of the OAST Flyer, the crew prepare for the second and final EVA on Flight Day 7. Conducted for 6 and a half hours by Leroy Chaio and Winston Scott, the primary objectives of EVA-2 was to examine experiments in the payload bay, and test the test techniques that would be employed for assembly of, the at the time unlaunched International Space Station.

PnHlGvf.jpg8ijMo9O.jpg21imd09.jpg

After EVA-2 concluded, Endeavour prepared for reentry and landing.

f3b0e1d.jpg05LlB0c.jpgp0Dpjae.jpgTKdxHoL.jpgvlGDxxD.jpg

After 8 days in orbit, Endeavour and her crew returned home, at 3 in the morning on January 20th 1996. As for the Space Flyer Unit, its extraordinarily convoluted shipment from Japan to Florida ended 10 months later after conducting lots of experiments in orbit. It was returned to Japan and examined for scientific research and is now on display at the National Museum of Nature and Science in Tokyo. The Full STS-72 Album.

I really enjoyed making this one! As you can probably tell by the length of this one I could not stop pressing the F12 button. Especially when you take into account the albums! Hopefully the next mission wont take as long.

More Missions Coming Soon!

Edited by Kuiper_Belt
OAST and OSTA are different acronyms! :P

Saturn Shuttle - A Proposed Space Shuttle Booster Design

mhSzO4l.jpg

While the Apollo Program was in full swing, NASA was looking forward. Enter The Space Shuttle, a reusable space ship to bring up materials and people to space cheaply and quickly, and it needed a ride to orbit.  Meanwhile while NASA was designing its new ship, The Saturn V lifted off from Pads 39 A & B lifting men to touch The Moon. The engineers considered the idea of boosting The Shuttle and External Tank with a familiar part of existing hardware. The S-1C the first stage powered by five of the legendary F-1 Engines seemed up to the task. They envisioned launching it on mildly modified launch facilities.

WbrEJ3h.jpg

NASA ordered their stages of rockets from manufactures to be assimilated in the Vehicle Assembly Building. The first batch of Saturn Vs had been ordered and were launching the Apollo missions and eventually Skylab. Under the Saturn Shuttle design, The Space Shuttle would support space stations launched by Saturn Vs. This necessitated a second batch of Saturn rockets. Though the S-1Cs would see small modifications such as the new F-1A engine, made more efficient and provide more thrust. Though the S-1Cs of the Saturn Shuttles would be rather different from the Saturn V first stage. Shuttle S-1Cs would sport among other things, a large lifting surfaces restartable engines and landing gear.

QEVrKyr.jpg

Recovering the henceforth referred to (for brevity) as SSS-1C (Space Shuttle S-1C) would land at the Shuttle Landing Facility, be recovered, where its F-1s would be replaced and then reflown. The SSS-1C would effectively replace the Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Boosters. Standing by at Launch Pad 39-A, Space Shuttle Enterprise Stands by with a second generation Saturn V in the background for launch to Skylab. This'll be a lot of picture but if you want more, check out the album!

dLUHUjk.jpegZ51xGeh.jpegc2oGCQ0.jpeg

The F-1As and RS-25s spool up for flight. The crew get ready for liftoff!

ly0Zzg4.jpegepbgU3j.jpeg

Liftoff!

FgaDD73.jpegfIFz0fH.jpegNcHn1A0.jpeghJLuxBx.jpegHZHJcSc.jpegFqDCYbb.jpeg

After SSS-1C Separation and Adapter Jettison, Enterprise carries on to orbit for an eventual MECO a little after 8 minutes in to flight. The SSS-1C reorients for a boostback burn.

Gdq0L2W.jpeg

Sporting a restartable center F-1A the SSS-1C boosts back to the Kennedy Space Center for a landing at the Shuttle Landing Facility.

TZtrYa1.jpegRCvCFk1.jpegjPEsMeW.jpegg3qzIVt.jpeg

Afterwards, the Stage Adapter would drift down for splashdown under parachute in the Atlantic.  

2dRvE28.jpeg

Meanwhile in orbit, Enterprise coasts and corrects its orbit for rendezvous with Skylab.

7qljLTR.jpeghyJyked.jpegcoE95K1.jpege2MkOb0.jpegEuYr0F1.jpegxzEIOW1.jpeg

Docking confirmed! Enterprise docked with an already launched adapting module made of a test article for modified Apollo missions. Lifted by Enterprise is a new nodal module Opportunity,  and an adapter to allow a connection from to the old Probe and Drogue docking system. Opportunity allows for future expansion and additional docking positions. Potential uses could be to dock to the nadir port of Opportunity and attach a replacement port solar array as well as additional modules such a Cupola.

0Qz5bYn.jpeglpBIiw5.jpegAMTTixv.jpegs7tYtQw.jpeg

Now that Opportunity is attached, Enterprises crew needs to go on EVA and attach cables already set by previous Shuttle Crews to power up Opportunity. Enterprise did not carry an integrated Airlock, as in addition to Opportunity & the Docking Adapter, attached was Spacelab, filled with experiments and supply's for the revitalized station. As a result the EVAs would take place from Skylabs airlock.

nABAVk2.jpegN3xO71H.jpegeaZHl63.jpegtFozmOn.jpeg

After a successful and enjoyable EVA, the crew of Enterprise powered up Opportunity and opened the hatches.

0B4bse3.jpeg

The crew began to remove launch restraints and integrate experiments into Skylab for the duration of their stay.

Yxyd9dq.jpeg

After their mission is done, Enterprise closed hatches with Skylab and undocked.

FtQPhuD.jpegb9Pv1mS.jpeghqC4YyS.jpeg3PS3DD6.jpeg

Enterprise, prepares for reentry and landing at the Kennedy Space Center. 

gS29mxq.jpegxF9gNWV.jpegnUjCqXS.jpegCaMBDfv.jpeg

Landing at Runway 33 of the SLF the Enterprise and the rest of the Shuttle Fleet would continue to fly on their heritage ride to space along side the legendary Saturn V.

This mission was a giant excuse to play with Bluedog Design Bureau's Saturn Revamp and boy is it beautiful! Some of the best work the modding scene has ever seen! I decided for the mission I'd fly Enterprise for no particular reason other than it would be awesome. Also in regards to design decisions, The Saturn Shuttle concepts included designs with no flyback S-1C, but I thought this was a little more exciting! In addition to the mission beyond launch, it's based off of my limited knowledge of the Shuttle Skylab missions, but none of it is really following anything (I named the module Opportunity while writing this actually) so its kind of based on something, but still a nebulous idea.

I'm real happy with how it turned out and I hope you guys do to!

More missions coming soon!

Edited by Kuiper_Belt

1 hour ago, Kuiper_Belt said:

mhSzO4l.jpg

While the Apollo Program was in full swing, NASA was looking forward. Enter The Space Shuttle, a reusable space ship to bring up materials and people to space cheaply and quickly, and it needed a ride to orbit.  Meanwhile while NASA was designing its new ship, The Saturn V lifted off from Pads 39 A & B lifting men to touch The Moon. The engineers considered the idea of boosting The Shuttle and External Tank with a familiar part of existing hardware. The S-1C the first stage powered by five of the legendary F-1 Engines seemed up to the task. They envisioned launching it on mildly modified launch facilities.

WbrEJ3h.jpg

NASA ordered their stages of rockets from manufactures to be assimilated in the Vehicle Assembly Building. The first batch of Saturn Vs had been ordered and were launching the Apollo missions and eventually Skylab. Under the Saturn Shuttle design, The Space Shuttle would support space stations launched by Saturn Vs. This necessitated a second batch of Saturn rockets. Though the S-1Cs would see small modifications such as the new F-1A engine, made more efficient and provide more thrust. Though the S-1Cs of the Saturn Shuttles would be rather different from the Saturn V first stage. Shuttle S-1Cs would sport among other things, a large lifting surfaces restartable engines and landing gear.

QEVrKyr.jpg

Recovering the henceforth referred to (for brevity) as SSS-1C (Space Shuttle S-1C) would land at the Shuttle Landing Facility, be recovered, where its F-1s would be replaced and then reflown. The SSS-1C would effectively replace the Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Boosters. Standing by at Launch Pad 39-A, Space Shuttle Enterprise Stands by with a second generation Saturn V in the background for launch to Skylab. This'll be a lot of picture but if you want more, check out the album!

ly0Zzg4.jpegepbgU3j.jpeg

Liftoff!

After SSS-1C Separation and Adapter Jettison, Enterprise carries on to orbit for an eventual MECO a little after 8 minutes in to flight. The SSS-1C reorients for a boostback burn.

Gdq0L2W.jpeg

Sporting a restartable center F-1A the SSS-1C boosts back to the Kennedy Space Center for a landing at the Shuttle Landing Facility.

Afterwards, the Stage Adapter would drift down for splashdown under parachute in the Atlantic.  

2dRvE28.jpeg

Meanwhile in orbit, Enterprise coasts and corrects its orbit for rendezvous with Skylab.

Docking confirmed! Enterprise docked with an already launched adapting module made of a test article for modified Apollo missions. Lifted by Enterprise is a new nodal module Opportunity,  and an adapter to allow a connection from to the old Probe and Drogue docking system. Opportunity allows for future expansion and additional docking positions. Potential uses could be to dock to the nadir port of Opportunity and attach a replacement port solar array as well as additional modules such a Cupola.

Now that Opportunity is attached, Enterprises crew needs to go on EVA and attach cables already set by previous Shuttle Crews to power up Opportunity. Enterprise did not carry an integrated Airlock, as in addition to Opportunity & the Docking Adapter, attached was Spacelab, filled with experiments and supply's for the revitalized station. As a result the EVAs would take place from Skylabs airlock.

After a successful and enjoyable EVA, the crew of Enterprise powered up Opportunity and opened the hatches.

0B4bse3.jpeg

The crew began to remove launch restraints and integrate experiments into Skylab for the duration of their stay.

Yxyd9dq.jpeg

After their mission is done, Enterprise closed hatches with Skylab and undocked.

Landing at Runway 33 of the SLF the Enterprise and the rest of the Shuttle Fleet would continue to fly on their heritage ride to space along side the legendary Saturn V.

This mission was a giant excuse to play with Bluedog Design Bureau's Saturn Revamp and boy is it beautiful! Some of the best work the modding scene has ever seen! I decided for the mission I'd fly Enterprise for no particular reason other than it would be awesome. Also in regards to design decisions, The Saturn Shuttle concepts included designs with no flyback S-1C, but I thought this was a little more exciting! In addition to the mission beyond launch, it's based off of my limited knowledge of the Shuttle Skylab missions, but none of it is really following anything (I named the module Opportunity while writing this actually) so its kind of based on something, but still a nebulous idea.

Absolutely hilarious concept, but remarkably well executed!

Cant wait to see more of this!

19 hours ago, Kuiper_Belt said:

mhSzO4l.jpg

WbrEJ3h.jpg

QEVrKyr.jpg

ly0Zzg4.jpegepbgU3j.jpeg

Liftoff!

Gdq0L2W.jpeg

2dRvE28.jpeg

0B4bse3.jpeg

Yxyd9dq.jpeg

Ideal timeline, right here.

On 11/9/2021 at 3:51 AM, Kuiper_Belt said:

mhSzO4l.jpg

WbrEJ3h.jpg

QEVrKyr.jpg

ly0Zzg4.jpegepbgU3j.jpeg

Liftoff!

Gdq0L2W.jpeg

2dRvE28.jpeg

0B4bse3.jpeg

Yxyd9dq.jpeg

I've got to ask is there any chance for a craft file w/ launch pad because this is honestly amazing? Can't wait to see what's next!

On 11/8/2021 at 11:20 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Absolutely hilarious concept, but remarkably well executed!

Cant wait to see more of this!

Thanks! Perhaps I'll do more wacky things with Shuttle Saturn, maybe I'll whip up a moon landing architecture or fit one to Saturn Shuttle. We'll see :P

On 11/9/2021 at 5:47 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

Ideal timeline, right here.

I prefer do describe it as the Von Braun and the DODs illegitimated lovechild timeline :D.

On 11/9/2021 at 7:15 PM, Staticalliam7 said:

I am assuming that you are using a combination of Realplume and Waterfall?

You bet! Realplume is used for SRBs and Waterfall for any liquid fuel engine.

On 11/10/2021 at 5:21 PM, QuantumNight12 said:

I've got to ask is there any chance for a craft file w/ launch pad because this is honestly amazing? Can't wait to see what's next!

Thanks! Perhaps I could post the craft file at some point in the near future but I would like to warn you that it is a god awful thing to manage. For example you can't actually recover the boosters with FMRS if you launch from the modular launch pad base on a Katniss Cape pad. To recover I took photos of the launch until  S-IC and then restarted the mission launch from the stock launch clamps so you can set the root part to the Space Shuttle (Setting the root part to the launch pad is paramount to getting the modular launch pads to work on Katniss Cape Canaveral Launch Pads). It's a convoluted process but I'll be hopefully posting it soon. It's got a lot of modded parts so be aware of that when I do... 

On 11/16/2021 at 8:38 PM, Jhorriga said:

What patches are you using for Katniss's Cape Canaveral?

That would be these. Hopefully this helps!

Shuttle Adventures R&D - An Update

So I’ve been working on the foundations for the next couple missions but I’m not sure when I’ll have one of these out. I’m not sure if any of these will be The Next Mission but  they’re definitely in the works. Well, best we begin and what better to start with than something won’t be a stand alone mission but more mission Shuttle infrastructure…

The SCA & Shuttle Tail Cone

qAEi2oK.jpg

While I was happy with the original SCA and tail cone, I feel like I’ve improved in my odd shape making so I thought I’d give it another shot and this is my initial result.

IrAanji.jpg

While I’m nearly done with the SCA (I need to make some decals :P )  the tail cone is still WIP. I’m excited to use these in the future but for the next price I’ve been working on will be part of a standalone post…

Space Shuttle Advanced Boosters 

N7MANVu.jpg

Space Shuttle upgrades were quite numerous prior to The Challenger Disaster. Among many was the liquid booster concept  which I’ve been working on. I plan on cover a lot of the concepts in a paper which covers shuttle upgrades( including the awesome looking composite booster casing SRBs).

hFGjD64.jpg

I made a concept comprised of 4 liquid boosters that isn’t real as far as I can tell but maybe I might be accidentally making a concept that was studied.

SQUbuj2.jpg

The 4 booster concept looks cool and looks similar to the final thing I would like to show,

The Soviet Buran

SsSdq4L.jpg

Legend has it The Soviets had their own space shuttle… Its True! @Jackticalcovered it early in the thread but I’ve got something’s I would like to cover, specifically it’s planned role in the Mir space station and some visits from Buran’s American cousin…

rRhQkwJ.jpgcCO8dWk.jpg   

The eagle eyed among you may notice that the orbiter is not a SOCK orbiter… It’s from the mod Kerbolrise, a shuttle hybrid of STS and the Buran supporting both configurations. I feel it fits the bill pretty well until we get the Buran for Benjee10. I’m excited to use the Tantares Energia, it looks magnificent!

Some Final Ramblings

I’ve got some other things in the works like Shuttle-Salyut, Another Shuttle-Mir Mission, STS-51A, Hubble Servicing Missions and Hubble Recovery! Lots of things in store and hope to share all of these missions with you over the coming months! I’ll leave you guys with some more of the   Liquid Boosters as the Waterfall Configs are to die for also in love with the Sofi… yeah that’s right that SOFI, Spray On Foam Insulation… :sticktongue: I love the aesthetic so much! More missions coming soon!QlVyIrS.jpg
exx7x2O.jpg

Edited by Kuiper_Belt

4 hours ago, BuranAce said:

Are fictional shuttles allowed? And do i need to use the orbiter construction kit? (I use lifting body for my shuttles.)

Check out page 2 and 3 of this thread to see the crazy/awesome shuttle concepts by @Beccab :cool: pretty much anything Shuttle-related is welcome here as long as the concepts sticks to the theme  of “plausible manned space plane” designs.

• 2 weeks later...

Bring a spray bottle and a squeegee!

BC7Yg0Z.jpg6JoK7SE.jpg

I've fleshed out Hubble and the payload bay (more difficult than I initially thought!) of STS-125 to a point at which I'm satisfied with! I've been busy with life as of late but I've been chipping away at this project when the opportunity arises. If I'm lucky I'll have time to squeak it out before the weekend is out but hopefully I'll have it out before next Thursday!

STS-125 Coming Soon!

10 hours ago, Kuiper_Belt said:

Bring a spray bottle and a squeegee!

BC7Yg0Z.jpg6JoK7SE.jpg

I've fleshed out Hubble and the payload bay (more difficult than I initially thought!) of STS-125 to a point at which I'm satisfied with! I've been busy with life as of late but I've been chipping away at this project when the opportunity arises. If I'm lucky I'll have time to squeak it out before the weekend is out but hopefully I'll have it out before next Thursday!

STS-125 Coming Soon!

WOW! That Hubble look perfect!

14 hours ago, Austin_Kerman said:

This looks like a fun thread to post Space Shuttle missions in… I will be throwing my hat into the ring  with a Space Shuttle mission to the Moon (yes, that’s right) after Christmas.

Interesting! Can’t wait to see it!

Alright guys, I need your help. I have run into some realism issues with my plan to send a shuttle to the Moon. My current plan is to launch a refueling station made of 2 External Tanks, and then dock a shuttle with its Eternal Tank still attached, that has a docking port on it. The shuttle and the ET would refuel the shuttle, then undock, and then relight its upgraded ‘Block III’ RS-25s and burn for the Moon. I already see a problem with this, which I discussed on a Discord server: what would happen to the unburned H2 fuel on ignition? It might react and destroy the shuttle. Can you guys help me with this problem, and point out any other problems with this plan? Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Austin_Kerman said:

Alright guys, I need your help. I have run into some realism issues with my plan to send a shuttle to the Moon. My current plan is to launch a refueling station made of 2 External Tanks, and then dock a shuttle with its Eternal Tank still attached, that has a docking port on it. The shuttle and the ET would refuel the shuttle, then undock, and then relight its upgraded ‘Block III’ RS-25s and burn for the Moon. I already see a problem with this, which I discussed on a Discord server: what would happen to the unburned H2 fuel on ignition? It might react and destroy the shuttle. Can you guys help me with this problem, and point out any other problems with this plan? Thanks.

Big matchstick installed by the station with an arm like the soyuz uses for ignition? Don't take my advice though, I know nothing lol

10 minutes ago, Jacktical said:

Big matchstick installed by the station with an arm like the soyuz uses for ignition? Don't take my advice though, I know nothing lol

I mean, I could install some H2 burners on the back of the shuttle, but there are no parts for that in KSP mod or stock parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.