3 good reasons to play KSP?

voronovme

Welcome to the forum @voronovme!  :D

If you are interested in finding new friends that might be interested in the game there might be an amateur space/rocketry/astronomy group in your area.

If you are talking about people you know, you might consider pointing them towards some great KSP you tubers or invite them over and do a mission, start to finish together.

37 minutes ago, voronovme said:

If you have some time maybe we could talk about ksp?

Not to steal @James Kerman's biscuit but he's a moderator so he may not always have time, you can always message me!

58 minutes ago, voronovme said:

How to get my friends interested?

1. KSP is very realistic, and KSP can really teach you something about orbital mechanics!

2. It is very, must I say very, rewarding when you get into orbit for the first time/land on the Mun/land on rover on Duna, and you and your friends could have something to talk about when you all meet up!

3. Replications-although you can always make your own rockets, KSP has some special parts to replicate real life missions, and the thrill of doing exactly what happened in real life!

I could go on, but these are some good things to tell your friends!

Good luck!

Edited by JIMMY_the_DOG

1 minute ago, voronovme said:

If you have some time maybe we could talk about ksp?

Any time you like, and you will find that the community is friendly and helpful so please don't feel shy about asking gameplay questions (we even have a specific sub forum for that here).

To address your title, 3 good reasons to play KSP;

• It's the only game I've ever played where I've actually learned some real stuff and it sparked my interest in science in general.
  • Constant development and a fantastic community of content creators means you can get just about any flavour of KSP you want.
  • The creativity of design and mission and that euphoria when you achieve your goals.

To steal another game's tag line "Failure is fun".  But remember KSP has a pretty steep learning curve at the front end. 

But, if he doesn't want to "game", what ever that means, pitch it as a lightweight sim. With some game elements/tropes mixed in. Though most to all of them can be dialed closer to reality with various mods.  

Pitch it. Show some actual game play, yours or someone else's. Then leave it. If they bite they bite. 

Alternately have them read the tvtropes page for KSP. [you know that site is dangerous, ed.]

9 minutes ago, JIMMY_the_DOG said:

Not to steal @James Kerman's biscuit but he's a moderator so he may not always have time, you can always message me!

If I am unavailable for a while, I'm just using time warp. :cool:

As a new member @voronovme is unable to send PM's so you will need to initiate the conversation, but please remember that the forum rules still apply.

Edited by James Kerman
Added link

Everybody is already given a lot of great suggestions!

One thing do you have any particular people in mind as far as getting their interest into ksp?

In other words, do you know their interests, likes, dislikes? See if there is some aspect of KSP that would appeal to them. Would it be the design phase? Would it be testing your designs and flying them? Airplanes? Vehicles?

As an example if you like designing rockets and they like historical recreation... You could design famous past space missions and then they could fly them.

Years ago, back at school, I introduced some friends of mine to Bridge Builder/Pontifex. A few months later I was threatened by a surprising number of partners... and a couple of profs. Something about the game eating up all their time.  I was too busy running to really listen to their complaint. A couple of civil eng students I knew were being asked questions about how to design bridges in the game. Ah.. fun times.

What has kept me hooked into KSP has been the presence of a story. Though it is a story that I've crafted. I've found that the games that keep me in them the longest have been the ones that allow a solid engaging story to be presented or emerge. Or they suffer from just one more turn syndrome.

KSP is flexible enough to let you do many things... Planes sure. Rockets, by design. Rocket Planes, of course. Plain Rockets... maybe. Trains, been done. Cars, of many types. Boats, yes. 

KSP is a "LEGO®" game with both personal and game mechanics imposed challenges. And several acceptable breaks from reality, cause face it Space! is eldritchly huge. But, it's primary design is for you to put those courageous kerbals and their flying machines on, around, or both, every body in the Kerbin system. And maybe bring them back safely if you're nice, and capable of it.

The thing that got me hooked on KSP originally was the challenge of designing rockets and the satisfaction of major milestones like making orbit, docking, and landing on the moon. Now it's because I love the idea of exploring the solar system and the kind of technological achievements that enable it, and KSP is a way to enjoy that kind of thing interactively. That, and watching a rocket ride a well-executed gravity turn on a column of fire is a cheap thrill.

When life keeps me from having time to play, watching mission videos like these is how I get my space fix.

Edited by BadOaks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.