How does the collection of science work when docked?

I'm a bit puzzled by how science that's been collected by one ship gets transferred. Let me describe my scenario:

I have Mun station with a MPL on it, along with a Hitchhiker and MK2 Lander Can, along with a Okto2. The Okto2 has the highest priority in the vehicle naming section (if I recall correctly - I'm not able to access the game at the moment). There are also several ships docked to it with various pods (Mk1, Mk1-3, MK2 cockpit) and HECS and Okto units. I had brought in a ship with a MK1-3 that had a mess of science on it, and when it docked I saw all of the science being transferred. When I tried to find all of the experiments so I could have the data processed by the lab, I found that they'd all been transferred to the Mk1 pod on one of the oldest ships, least used ships. It has the default priority of 10. I expected the experiments to be transferred to the station's Lander Can. 

Once I found them I was able to transfer the data for processing of course, but the question in my mind is, how does the game determine where the science is collected?  I thought this would have something to do with the priorities set for the various components, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If anyone can enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

2 hours ago, maddog59 said:

I thought this would have something to do with the priorities set for the various components, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If anyone can enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

Docking automatically transfers science? I don't remember that, is it a new feature?Haven't played much lately but in older versions that never happened.

I usually put Experiment Storage Units in various places, like the lab, and i click collect all to organize/filter them out etc.

You might need multiple since the same experiment wont fit in the same unit.

Edited by Boyster

2 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

as far as i know, science is always transferred manually. you have to pick up your science and move it around. best way is an eva kerbonaut

That's what I thought as well, but I definitely remember seeing the messages scrolling by in the upper left corner showing experiments being stowed right after I'd docked, and there's no way I'd have transferred all of them to that particular pod. I'd practically forgotten that it was part of the station, and only stumbled on it as I was looking high and low for the 'review' key so I could have all of that juicy data processed in the lab. 

I'll see if I can observe or reproduce it and add to this thread, if appropriate. Of course, it could all be a fever dream...

14 hours ago, Boyster said:

Docking automatically transfers science? I don't remember that, is it a new feature?

Not in stock but there a number of quality of life mods that deal with science gathering and management.  The question is: Which one is @maddog59 using? 

17 hours ago, maddog59 said:

how does the game mod determine where the science is collected?

mind you, that is pure speculation:

Not by control point priority, since not all science containers are control points (and not all control points are science containers).

Labs and actual science storage units could be given reference but most likely the science container closer to the root part seems to be the most obvious option.

8 hours ago, Spricigo said:

Not in stock but there a number of quality of life mods that deal with science gathering and management.  The question is: Which one is @maddog59 using? 

Okay, it's official - I now hold the rank of Admiral Oblivious ... I just started using the the For Science mod and failed to consider that prior to posting my question, or even think to mention it. Doh!

I don't see a way of configuring where the science gets transferred to, but that's on me to figure out (though if anyone has any knowledge/ideas/hints I'm all ears). 

On 3/12/2021 at 2:49 PM, paul_c said:

you don't need mods.

nor the game. :0.0: But we like the game and some of us like what mods can bring to the game.  :wink:

On 3/12/2021 at 2:31 PM, maddog59 said:

I don't see a way of configuring where the science gets transferred to, but that's on me to figure out (though if anyone has any knowledge/ideas/hints I'm all ears). 

Is that useful?

On 3/12/2021 at 12:31 PM, maddog59 said:

Right click the toolbar icon and configure the transfer science destination.

jc2nbnU.jpg

15 hours ago, Spricigo said:

nor the game. :0.0: But we like the game and some of us like what mods can bring to the game.  :wink:

Is that useful?

Unfortunately, no ... I'm using "For Science" not AutomatedScienceSampler... at the moment anyhow. I'll probably pull FS and try that instead.
Just out of curiosity, is anyone else tempted to abbreviate it as "ASS"? :D  

6 hours ago, maddog59 said:

Unfortunately, no ... I'm using "For Science" not AutomatedScienceSampler...

Seems like i followed the link to ta different mod without realizing . :blush:

It may take a while to look in each of those mods and decide which one better suits you. Personally, I settled for [x]Science, but I sometimes miss the option to review finished experiments from Experiment Tracker.

8 hours ago, maddog59 said:

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else tempted to abbreviate it as "ASS"? :D  

We avoid such foolishness so we don't need to tell obvious lies about it. :rolleyes:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.