The KiloTon mega-craft

On 3/12/2021 at 12:30 AM, WarpPrime said:
  • Hotel26 - 1993 ton payload, 5301 ton rocket, 279 parts (72 for payload), TWR of 1.89
  • Spricigo - 1558 ton payload, 6164.9 ton rocket, 257 parts (67 for payload), TWR of 1.41

Appreciate getting onto the leaderboard -- and thanks for running the challenge -- I think Spricigo has a lower part count than I do?  I had expected him to place third, so far.

5 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Appreciate getting onto the leaderboard -- and thanks for running the challenge -- I think Spricigo has a lower part count than I do?  I had expected him to place third, so far.

Oops! Corrected that.

5 hours ago, WarpPrime said:

@Pds314 Did you expend the fuel from the payload? Also, I am assuming you want the rocket with the least parts on the leaderboard.

No the fuel in the payload is untouched. It's not payload if you expend fuel from it.

There is really 80640 units of LF

and 98560 units of oxidizer in the tanks.

As is visible in the block 1c payload photo.

Yeah put the block 2a on the leaderboard.

Edited by Pds314

21 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

I think Spricigo has a lower part count than I do?  I had expected him to place third, so far.

That is not important, however...

On 3/21/2021 at 5:06 AM, Hotel26 said:

I think my personal yard-stick is total-fuel-to-orbit /  Mission-Controller-wage-kerbucks: the most fuel for the least launch.

that is getting into my head right now.

58 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

that is getting into my head right now.

I have so many things I want to do in KSP yet[1].  But my life expectancy limits the number of launches I have remaining...  I need to get the biggest kick out of every launch.

I know there are Challenge Masters who have built monster fuel tankers, but I think your Kataklysm and my Titan 3 are the right size to amortize the cost.

Even so, our S4 tankers cross the line beyond which there is no point anymore trying to deliver the fuel to e.g. a space station.  I fly this Titan into the lowest orbit with an eye on the inclination all the way and then just leave it there, like a beached whale.  Nuclear tugs fetch/distribute the fuel from there with slow, 20-orbit rendez-vous...  (I can do other things while that happens.)

[1] I'm not even thinking about KSP2.

Edited by Hotel26

27 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

I know there are Challenge Masters who have built monster fuel tankers, but I think your Kataklysm and my Titan 3 are the right size to amortize the cost.

Even so, our S4 tankers cross the line beyond which there is no point anymore trying to deliver the fuel to e.g. a space station

Don't get me wrong. I agree with your analysis. My approach is slightly different but that is besides the point. Is just that I'm wondering if can a squeeze a bit more into that concept without making it  impractical. 

Here is my first entry: "1000 ton launcher low count ssto"

Partcount with payload: 33
Partcount without payload: 28
Payload: 1010.41 tons.
Launch mass: 4146.05 tons.
Mass without payload: 3135.64 tons.
Payload fraction: 24.37%
Launch TWR1.57 SL
Excess Delta-V in orbit: 18 m/s

VAB

D5jroNL.jpg

On pad.

PjtSyqT.jpg

45 degrees at 4km.

BMA9mkP.jpg

20 degrees at 10 km.

54b7Omv.jpg

10 degrees at 19km.

iEK8MlJ.jpg

Engines off at 24km.

lvxPJ2I.jpg

Small circularization burn.

yd0sJ93.jpg

Circularizing.

izPxTVF.jpg

In orbit.

ajkwWjh.jpg

Payload mass: 1010.41t

qoX1qas.jpg

Here is my second entry: "1000 ton launcher low count"

Partcount with payload: 31
Partcount without payload: 26
Payload: 1010.72 tons.
Launch mass: 3829.0 tons.
Mass without payload: 2,818.28 tons.
Payload fraction: 26.40%
Launch TWR: 1.50 SL
Excess Delta-V in orbit: 80 m/s

VAB

JwgDZgJ.jpg

On pad.

Ld2veCP.jpg

45 degrees at 5.8km.

GrTviV0.jpg

Staging at 16.7km and 960m/s.

JeoqMoh.jpg

Engines off at 34.3km.

xWYuc1l.jpg

Circularization burn? Never heard of it.

RMGF6iG.jpg

Ok but actually.

hrcqdwW.jpg

In orbit.

UjbLOuF.jpg

Payload mass: 1010.72t

3BTgHK8.jpg

3 hours ago, Lt_Duckweed said:

Here is my second entry: "1000 ton launcher low count"

Partcount with payload: 31
Partcount without payload: 26
Payload: 1010.72 tons.
Launch mass: 3829.0 tons.
Mass without payload: 2,818.28 tons.
Payload fraction: 26.40%
Launch TWR: 1.50 SL
Excess Delta-V in orbit: 80 m/s

Hmmmmm How do I beat this thing? :/

6 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Hmmmmm How do I beat this thing? :/

With some goal post shifting flipping the decoupler around and counting it as payload can reduce part count by 1 lol :)

I tried pretty hard to come up with a workable 25 part design but couldn't get anything to stick.

Edited by Lt_Duckweed

On 3/24/2021 at 7:23 AM, Lt_Duckweed said:

With some goal post shifting flipping the decoupler around and counting it as payload can reduce part count by 1 lol :)

I tried pretty hard to come up with a workable 25 part design but couldn't get anything to stick.

No if I'm goalpost shifting I want to do it right. Bring the payload up empty and then repeatedly land and ISRU to fuel it in orbit.

Edited by Pds314

8 hours ago, Pds314 said:

No if I'm goalpost shifting I want to do it right. Bring the payload up empty and then repeatedly land and ISRU to fuel it in orbit.

True, but that would be more parts for the rocket because you would need multiple launches, etc

I have launched a 2700 ton ship, but this was on escape trajectory as it lagged so bad I couldn’t do gravity turn lol

it didn’t need the oberth effect after using 1km/s of its fuel (200t), as it had like 10km/s left lol...

does this count?

there is a ship I’m making, that i won’t even think about trying to launch with stock parts, as it is likely to be over20kt, and at 300m long, is nearly 1/5 the length of an imperial star destroyer lol... (the 2700t ship was the limit of my sanity due to the sheer lag to launch lol)

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

On 3/29/2021 at 12:41 PM, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

I have launched a 2700 ton ship, but this was on escape trajectory as it lagged so bad I couldn’t do gravity turn lol

it didn’t need the oberth effect after using 1km/s of its fuel (200t), as it had like 10km/s left lol...

does this count?

there is a ship I’m making, that i won’t even think about trying to launch with stock parts, as it is likely to be over20kt, and at 300m long, is nearly 1/5 the length of an imperial star destroyer lol... (the 2700t ship was the limit of my sanity due to the sheer lag to launch lol)

it shouldn't be lagging at all if it's competitive with low partcount xD

13 hours ago, Pds314 said:

it shouldn't be lagging at all if it's competitive with low partcount xD

im doing competitive with highest mass XD

edit: just reread it and yep it’s for lowest part count...... hm ok

well the 800 part rocket isn’t exactly competitive lol

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

I'm not sure if I understand correctly - Is 1000 ton the minimal launch mass or the payload mass?

I once sent a 1:1 scale CN Tower replica to Minmus and the mass that I sent to LKO was about 2,7 kilotons (the remining fuel included). Would that be a valid submission to this challenge?

1 hour ago, s_gamer101 said:

I'm not sure if I understand correctly - Is 1000 ton the minimal launch mass or the payload mass?

I once sent a 1:1 scale CN Tower replica to Minmus and the mass that I sent to LKO was about 2,7 kilotons (the remining fuel included). Would that be a valid submission to this challenge?

1000 tons is the payload mass. I'm assuming that the CN Tower had no fuel in it (or had fuel, but is unused). Your payload (CN Tower) must weigh at least 1000 tons, least partcount (rocket included) wins! Good luck :)

On 4/5/2021 at 8:47 PM, WarpPrime said:

1000 tons is the payload mass. I'm assuming that the CN Tower had no fuel in it (or had fuel, but is unused). Your payload (CN Tower) must weigh at least 1000 tons, least partcount (rocket included) wins! Good luck

Well, actually it had lots of fuel in it and it was used during launch. And also, I didn't realize previously that part count matters here and my CN tower is very partheavy and threfore probably not suitable for this challenge. But maybe I'll submit something else later.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.