Haven't played since 2016! Advice on what to try?

Mister Spock

Hi all,

I played KSP fanatically for a while, but if my hard disk is to be believed, I haven't played since May 2016!  The last log I can find says it was version "1.1.2.1260 (Windows Player)".  (Edit: though I do see I posted about 1.2.2 in 2018, so maybe I did play more recently than 2016.) 

I was never as good at KSP as most of you.  I landed on Duna, orbited (but didn't land on) its moon, landed on Eve, and of course Mun and Minmus.  Nothing more than that.  I love making space stations but always lamented not having much reason to do so.  Same with planet bases.  My must-have mods were KER, Kerbal Alarm Clock, PreciseNode, Transfer Planner. and Docking Port Alignment Indicator.  I see most of those are still around.  I tried a couple contracts mods and kinda liked them.  Tried Kerbalism but I'm not that into life-support mods.  I have a couple specific questions:

1. I don't have either of the expansions.  I suppose I should buy both? 

2. I enjoy playing career mode, so I suppose I should start a new one?  Will I find vanilla new and fresh, or should I consider a gameplay or tech mod?

Edited by Mister Spock

Being good at ksp is a completely relative term, my friend! Did you enjoy it? Then consider yourself darn good!;p

I don't know if you play modded or not, but if you do, be sure to update those first. I also suggest maybe climbing the tech tree in vanilla career mode to refamiliarize yourself with all the changes since then, but its not mandatory unless you feel lost at first.

As far as 1 you mentioned, do you mean DLC? I have had both as they came out and didn't regret either decision.

Or you could dive right in and have Bill practice putting on and taking off EVA parts. Nothing sux more (or is more funny than) accidentally removing a landing leg on Gilly and destroying your craft.

Sniff... Poor Bill is still waiting for rescue. :sad:

Edited by Dientus
added content

Thank you for your reply, @Dientus!  I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Yep, I do normally play modded, but I've taken your advice and (1) acquired both DLC and (2) fired up vanilla with no mods at all.  I've actually been trying the new Missions, which were not a thing when I last played.  I started with the most basic Mission.  It was delightfully Kerbal.  One early launch exploded on the launchpad because i couldn't remember basic staging.  Another one burned up on re-entry because I inadvertently went too high.  Can't wait to get back to it.  I may hunt for player-created MIssions too.  If you or others can recommend any, I'm all ears.

How does one examine part of one's ship while in flight?  I wanted to zoom in on the capsule to use the thermometer, but I couldn't figure out how to move camera focus to it.  My settings say arrow keys, so maybe I'll try that next time.

Also, I've found a career mod I'd like to try -- the Career Evolution Contract Pack, which builds on severedsolo's Bases & Stations, a mod I used to enjoy.  My main question about this Career Evolution mod is whether it will work with Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux.  I recall that the space-station missions in Bases & Stations didn't always recognize modded parts.  I've posted about this in the mod's thread; no replies yet.  

Welcome back! You don't mention version but I would recommend upgrading to 1.11.1 as it added inventory/construction in stock (like an easy to use KAS/KIS) plus there's been other bits added like precision node editing, kerbal parachutes and little tweaks here and there that make a real difference.

Regarding contracts they are still a little hit and miss at times I find. Not used that one you've linked but there's also some linked through Contract Configurator but again a mixed bag.

I only use a few mods, particularly KSPIE and SCANsat. From my personal exposure, a lot of mods go together with no issues. I see plenty of posts where people use 50 mods or more quite successfully but about the career evolution mod, i have never used it. The one thing is to try them out, they can always be removed if you pay attention to what's installed. I see a ton of people use CKAN as a mod installer and they swear by it. I assume using it will allow you to easily remove mods maybe? I use the old fashioned "install by hand" method.

When I want to view any part of my contraptions, i start by selecting the part in the general area of the craft and right clicking for the context menu. I then select the AIM CAMERA option and use scroll wheel to zoom in. Eventually I get close enough I can select whatever small part I need and AIM CAMERA on that part.

Most my science missions I assign all my science parts to custom key 2 so when I am ready I just press the 2 key and keep or transmit science as needed. ;p

Missions are a good way to get reintroduced as well. I personally have not created a mission, my gameplay style is set a career mode with mods, play until most places have been landed or built on, and start all over again. :grin:

Sounds like you have a great start! You can always search the forums or youtube for great tutorials if you ever feel stuck about something. I feel as if I have been no help to you at all lol :sad:

@FruitGoose Thanks for that warm welcome!  Yes, I installed the latest version, 1.11.1.  I'm excited to see that stock has some inventory and attachment features.  Thanks also for the tip on stock's refinement of nodes.  I'll hold off installing a PreciseNode mod until I try the new stock implementation.  Why do Kerbals need parachutes?  Maybe for bailing out of my poorly-made aircraft?

@Dientus Thanks for the tips on a hotkey for science.  Er, that's an action group?  I suppose I right click on the science part in the VAB to give it a hotkey?  

Thanks especially for that advice on selecting parts of a ship.  I don't think I ever got good at that.

I tried ScanSat once and remember making pretty scans but not doing much with them.  Is there a gameplay reason to use it?  I also used a mod that had me creating a satellite network so I could communicate with probes and such.  That was fun, but I'm not sure I'm up for it for a first return playthrough.

I remember installing KSPI once (before it was KSPIE) but I never got far enough down its tech tree to really try it.

Thanks again for all the help, you guys!  I appreciate it.

Edited by Mister Spock

I use SCANsat data to plan my landings and bases as well as ore and other resource mining hotspots. It also gives a secondary use to my relay communication satellites. Another good reason to launch satellites imo.

Yep. Action groups. In the VAB left click hammer/wrench icon in top left bar (next to the build) select the piece or item you want by left-clicking. There are 3 columns on the left side of the screen. First column action groups, second column group actions, third column item selection. 

The button or action you want to assign it to is in the left column. I use 'custom02' but you can use anything you want depending on what you are trying to accomplish and your craft design.

After you select the item the third column holds what you can do with it. The two hot thermometer has a log temperature option that I use. I left click that option and it gets added into group actions in the center column.

*Edit I forgot to mention that SCANsat when researched enough leads you straight to anomalies and attractions on the planet they are around as well as allowing waypoints.

Hope that helps I'm not the best at describing things. :blush2:

Edited by Dientus
added info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.