Found a bug. Though it's not a bug either.

Hi all.

Forum Gurus please move this to the appropriate place if need be. Thank you.

Ok. I am running 1.11.0. Got a contract to build a new base on Minmus. Said base must have 400 units of xenon on board.

On the build, where to place the container? It's unsightly, wrong size for streamlining, etc...

So I put it in the Storage Unit of the Hitchhiker Storage Container. Does this phrase even mean anything?

Well that doesn't count for the contract. The contract only says "On board". Not must be included in the resource tab.

I understand why it is what it is. Not important. I and others can live with that. Might call it a feature or something like that.

But I thought you guys should know.

Thanks for reading this.

M E

Edited by Martian Emigrant

12 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

That does not seem like a bug.  A part in storage shouldn't fulfill a contract which specifies a working part installed on the craft. 

OP states the contract said "on board", which might be him being vague or possibly the exact wording of the contract.  If the latter, it would seem that being more specific with the wording to explicitly require "a working part installed on the craft" would improve the contract experience.  We need to know the exact contract text here to best determine a solution though. 

6 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

That does not seem like a bug.  A part in storage shouldn't fulfill a contract which specifies a working part installed on the craft. 

As I said it's a bug and then it ain't. Du to the way the game run.

I don't really care either way. As long as we all know how to play the contracts I guess.

I saw it on the launch pad. I always pull out the contract and look to see if satisfy the requirements before launch.

Like , say, forgetting a docking port or an antenna.

The part about working isn't correct. There is no engine to use the xenon. It's just a tank. It doesn't do anything for the ship (Or Minmus base extension) if I recall the actual contract), except to be counted. for said contract.

When a contract stipulate must have an antenna or must have a docking port. It would be very hard to argue that those can be in storage.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

There's a lot of contracts where the parts, or requirements, are clearly just randomly picked and sized. For example, a space station with huge quantities of monopropellant; or fuel etc. Most make sense but some don't.

The "in a storage box", to me, seems odd if it did fulfil the contract so I don't think its a major area of confusion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.