Attempt for a Kerbalism grand tour.

(DEPREACEATED)
Works on solar panel and active shield, solar panels flop and the active shields wobble like a sad Christmas tree you found in someone's trash can.

screenshot1.png

Seems like the kraken doesn't like 1600 840ec/s at Jool. I have a great desktop so it worked, but started to flop once physics loaded and the bottom arrays exploded and then the whole thing spontaneously combusted, 600-700 solar panels is a lot, at Eeloo I have 200ec/s worst case and 600ec/s best case. I can sustain shield anywhere! There were so many I just made 1 solar array and used alt+click to copy it. I'll fix this by not layering the 120 shield on top of each other, dividing them into 5 piles, and then subdivide those 5 piles into 5 piles with 4x symmetry and clipping. I'll also make it taller, and the solar arrays not having 17 gigantors, its too much(they weight 0.45 tons each). I'll make it have 9.

Edited by Single stage to ocean

(DEPRECEATED)

I'll also double the height, using science labs and rockomax 64's since active shields are short and wobbly as an impromptu structural tube. and consider part welding, my computer is just fine so far, but there was no shuttles or etc. It's gonna be a slideshow.

TL;DR: Never use active shields as structural elements.

(DEPREACEATED DUE TO PART COUNT)

A humongous leap, I now have a 1000 part mother ship and my computer can load it, and I have already made landers for it. No pics since I’m on mobile. Working on all the life support stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

(DEPRECEATED)

I have some paranoia issues, so building a ship with supplies for 30+ years is natural. Here is the Hab module, I scrapped the other one since I'm on laptop now and ions have too many parts. Fairing is for aerbraking, ill figure out how to protect solar.

screenshot3.png

(This is as depreceated, what was I thinking? 1000 parts! My computer has a knife to my back help me!)

Will use nuclear and orbital docking, will keep on adding fuel until I have issues and my computer can’t take anymore. Assuming a theoretical computer max of 300 mk3 of tanks, but I won’t launch that many,I’ll just send up 3 kilotons of fuel in 500 tons, 10 part blocks and dock them with a senior port, and strut them up for stability with a space walking engineer who goes back to kerbin. Planned to carry 4 people, no isru and circumnavigatin everywhere but eve and jool, but might ascend from jool 4 fun. Fuel as sunshade.

Rtg for emergency so I can shut down all but one pod and consider my escape, and for eeloo plus the solar. It’s on booms 4 the looks. And realism, and maybe a few solar panels or stuff.

(Why was I so stupid to make a 400 ton eve lander?)

Apparently Kerbals have started believing fuel tanks have a soul and abandoning them in space prevents them from going to Keaven or Kell, so I will do fully reusable except for eve and launching(The boosters crash and go to Keaven or Kell). The Booster Protection Party won the election and ordered us to make it so that all boosters will eventually deorbit. I won't send the mothership to all planets, but I will send it on the same trajectory as @kingofnowhere and his Dream Big.

Here comes the fuel train choo choo.defaultVABFUELTRUCK.png

It has 6 booster there that have about 762 dv with ~1 twr. Not enough, so I will triple the number of boosters, and add deorbit Sepratrons. I will dock as many as I can and then add the hab module, which is "borrowed" from Bolt. I consider it fine since it isn't an exact replica, I did some upgrades such as extorbitant amounts of docking ports and better sheilding, and some asthetics things as well as a gravity ring. This you are seeing is just the third stage and payload. Will upload better screenshot. Eve lander is called GTFO mk1.

defaultVABEveLeavemk.png

Testing pics(Really overengineered with 2700 dv and I agree, but moar DV can fix anything. Can handle failures of any engine with excessive twr, and can theoretically handle less than 1 twr with wings, if in upper atmo.)(gauge is lying, im in stable orbit. Look at the navball and see where prograde is. Sorry for no map view) Also started from 10000meter mountian, but production version will have propellors.

screenshot4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Its not dead. The eve lander is over engineered, so I'll replace it. Nuclear engines ditched for RTG powered,solar, and fuel cell aided ion engines. (Yes, I will use all 3 power sources).

I am sorry for this @king of nowhere but I stole your hab module. In my defense, I made it better and gave it more redundancy, 2 of everything, both high quality. Almost nothing standard quality. I am going for full reusablity except landers and boosters. I imagine a duna colony creates more landers and ships them up and down.

Eve is Eve-il. The easy solution is to toss a few kilotons at it and get off. The hard solution, is to do it in ~100 tons. My idea is to put a small, pressurized lander can on bottom of the rocket. This has supplies for 10 days, and after that I will leave the can,climb up, and get inside the seat, then decouple the can. Then launch. The suit has two hours of LS, good enough 4 fout low orbits, enough to be picked up. Far ligther. Maybe drop a plane/base with the rocket, that is also detached.

Some progress on the idea. The Eve plane and the Eve ascent vehicle have been made, however the Eve descent vehicle is not done. Also, the Eve base is not done.

This is the concept I'm talking about. 

Spoiler

ConceptforEveLandera.png

As you can see, climbing up will be difficult, but possible. And for sending it down, all I need is plenty of ablative heatshields and I can land directly like Stratenblitz in his Eve on SRB video.

The plane is shown here, and can land directly with its large, draggy wings+heatshield I will add later, when it breaks, I will rotate radial out, and the service bay and propellors will cause more drag hopefully saving me from being BBQed.

Spoiler

defaultSPHEveplanemk.png

Jeb told Bill to use the latest hard hologram technology for the canards.

Seems like kerbal hard hologram technology is really cool. It is capable of flying for an hour at sea level with just internal battery, more if high up b/c I can reduce torque and save battery.  That will take me 1200 km before I must recharge if I fly high, and this is conservative. Add an rtg and range is unlimited. Fuel cells are there with some hydrogen and oxygen.

The lander without its additions is shown here.

Spoiler

defaultVABMinimaleve.png

Again, heavily WIP and liable to be replaced. At least I have the lander. Working on the descent system, and I send the plane and the rocket seperately to Eve's surface to make it easier, and I fly the plane to the lander. The rocket has a probe core clipped in the first stage as well as a ox-stat panel, I can descend it seperately, and the plane can fly.  I'll ditch the plane comes with eve rocket concept, too difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet dead, ditching RTG's for fuel cell power. I just need enough power from fuel cells to last 1 hour at full thrust, or about 28k ec per ion. assumin smame power to mass ratio as stock fuel cells will do about 100 kg hydrogen and ox per engine per hour. then solar electrolysis.

defaultVABAutoSavedS.pngLanding legs will be removed in final version, and solar arrays fold out. Pretty cool but my hinges are pathetic. Will ditch them next revision. Landing legs are just for launch pad test stability. Will remove hinges, and launch with the reverse rocket technique. Will make the solar panel array things 10 gigantors long(a lot of struts) and no hinges. Lots of drag however. Who needs to aerobrake when you have almost 30k of dv?

The eve lander is still going to be used.

Here is the finished version minus the hab module

defaultVABenginemodu.pngThe hovering things are launch clamps and the thing undernath it is the ion rocket stage. It is a totally ludicrous reverse rocket, and it is hilarious, screenshots tmrw. It becomes unstable when half full so I lose about 1.5 k dv than the other b/c I must decouple early, but it’s the only way to launch such a big and draggy object.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.