Anyone else worried that KSP 2 will be bad?

Omni122

I mean, I feel like there's a good chance that the devs will fail to replicate the charm that the original KSP has. I feel like they'll just overpolish and oversimplify it down to nothing. I feel like they'll just make a game that's Modded KSP but with a shiny coating.

I have faith in the devs but I'm not on the "the devs play KSP so it will be alright" wagon. I am however dubious about their overzealousness. We've only been shown less than 3 minutes of ingame content after almost a year and a half (I'm not good with dates).  I do agree with you that they are gonna oversimplify it. I think its a big box dev team who really is trying to make money so they are gonna have to capitalize on the child market and that means reducing interstellar travel to baby talk.

15 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I think its a big box dev team who really is trying to make money so they are gonna have to capitalize on the child market and that means reducing interstellar travel to baby talk.

I'm not that paranoid, but it's crazy how little of the game we've seen in several years. is there something T2/Intercept doesn't want us to see?

1 hour ago, Omni122 said:

oversimplify it down to nothing

We've seen very little of the game but what we saw was always expanding in scope and complexity over KSP1.

If anything I'm prepared to backslash due to much of the content like colonization or interplanetary travel being inaccessible for most of the player base due to the infrastructure required.

Edited by Master39

I am. It’s lije the problem I have with The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe. It emanates the feel that it will be great but I doubt that it will be as good. I wouldn’t say it’ll be terrible... but i would say that from my POV, it will be , at best, okay.

worst case scenario it ends up like sword and shield, overpriced ball of meh

35 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I think its a big box dev team who really is trying to make money so they are gonna have to capitalize on the child market and that means reducing interstellar travel to baby talk.

this

16 minutes ago, Master39 said:

If anything I'm prepared to backslash due to much of the content like colonization or interplanetary travel being inaccessible for most of the player base due to the infrastructure required.

I wonder how many people will walk in thinking that interstellar colonization won't require too much infrastructure and thought ahead.

35 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

. I am however dubious about their overzealousness

this x2 combo 

1 hour ago, Omni122 said:

I feel like they'll just overpolish and oversimplify it down to nothing. I feel like they'll just make a game that's Modded KSP but with a shiny coating

since the announcement, especially this last sentence, I’ve had this creeping feeling. I really do doubt that it will live up to the hype

in conclusion the tl;dr is : yeah p much

Obligatory "greedy ≠ dumb" post.

If they don't remove orbital mechanics altogether they won't attract the casual market, if they do they won't attract the casual audience anyway due to the reputation of the first game and they'll kill the existing fanbase.

If they make a reasonable rewrite and polish of the original game they'll play alone as the only option in the whole genre for years.

The "Evil greedy corporate" option here is making a good enough sequel on the same difficulty level of the first one while improving the onboarding to attract more people.

Edited by Master39

It's hard for me to tell which way ksp2 will go. They have a dedicated fan base, as well as what appears to be a sound start in what little tidbits they fed us so far. Everything indicates that it SHOULD be at least as good as the original.

But they are trying to make money, and no game is ever all things to all people. All games that have ever tried this approach, to gain sales, has fallen short... Usually miserably... Do they realize that if they try to appeal to all people in all things it will cause backlash of failing at the primary goal? Will they over think, over engineer, over polish it to the point that the original charm and appeal of the game is overshadowed with bloated gameplay? 

My first feelings are they won't overdo it, that it will succeed. But there is this nagging feeling at the back of my head that leaves me to say that I truly do not know how it will turn out.

Bad is the opposite of good. What defines good for KSP2?

Of course I worry that it will disappoint. Without doubts there will be many, many complaints. Keep in mind, it can't be exactly KSP or it wouldn't be a "version 2" With those changes in mind we can be sure that:

• If it's made more accessible, it will cater to noobs and the star wars crowd
  • If it's made harder, it's elitist and needlessly complex
  • If it focuses on science and exploration , it's boring and soulless
  • But if it puts more emphasis on the Kerbals, it will be too cutesy, going for cheap points
  • There will be too much science fiction (engines), and not enough
  • The game will be too much micromanaging or too much empire building
  • And regardless of if it gets implemented, everyone will complain about how multiplayer is implemented

57 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'm not that paranoid, but it's crazy how little of the game we've seen in several years. is there something T2/Intercept doesn't want us to see?

It's kinda weird. and they're "It's Friday" thing only has happened maybe 3 or 4 times and the dev diarys are just them saying how they structured their management and goals, nothing about the game.

To be bad, it first should be.

2 hours ago, Master39 said:

We've seen very little of the game

We've seen very little of the cutscene, not the game.

Anyway, it won't be worse than KSP 0.7.3 and even 0.13.3.
So, we have a backup option.

Edited by kerbiloid

7 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

We've seen very little of the cutscene, not the game.

Then let me rephrase that and replace "we've seen" with "information we were given" since admittedly most of it didn't come in fancy videos.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

That's not terribly alarming in context. It really looks like after some back and forward, Intercpet has taken a nearly clean slate approach after taking over the development. So really the game has been in proper production since sometime in late spring to early summer of 2020. We're less than a year in. At this point, if developers are generous enough to share, all we expect to see is some art and janky pre-alpha screenshots and footage. So far, we've seen some art and janky pre-alpha screenshots and footage. The 2019 images and trailer are basically glorified fan art at this point.

Naturally, none of this gives concrete indications that adequate progress is being made, but I'm not really seeing any red flags, either. I get why T2/PD thought it's start building up the hype in 2019, based on a more contained vision of KSP2 being made by a smaller external team, but based on how things have gone, they jumped the gun way too early. This summer would have been right around time to drop a teaser based on current schedule. So have some patience. We'll see how the game is really going soon enough.

This thread is crazy. The devs have made every indication that the game is about building rockets, flying rockets around in semi-realistic spaceflight, and exploring planets. That's exactly what KSP 1 was about. And KSP 1 did in fact have "dumbed down, made for kids" mechanics like has been described in this thread to appeal to a large audience interested in spaceflight. There's no orbital pertubations, spheres of influence are huge. There's no ullage, distances are tiny and reentry a joke. It is impossible to kill kerbals via starvation or acceleration, and there are no radiological concerns. You guys need to take a step back and look at the game that Intercept is following up on. I have over 1,000 hours in KSP 1 and I can assure you that there isn't a whole lot of depth to the stock gameplay. In fact where I run into limitations is not from my own piloting skills but by a lack of navigation tools in vanilla. Multi-planet gravity assist daisy chains are nigh impossible in stock KSP because the game lacks the guidance information that has been promised to us for KSP 2. Everything we've seen indicates that the basic elements of the game are going to get more nuanced than before instead of simpler. I mean, KSP 1 doesn't even have a delta-v map! I had to print one of those out and tape it to my wall.

"Making the game more accessible" from what marketing material we've seen most likely refers to a more comprehensive and easily digested passive tutorial system that can be disabled if so desired. Of course enabling sandbox mode and immediately reaching for the stupid powerful propulsion systems like the nuclear salt water rockets are going to lower the practical skill floor of the game, but that doesn't mean the skill ceiling isn't also being massively increased. Do you know how to fly an interstellar craft, mid timewarp, experiencing a constant 1 mG acceleration and whose attitude control authority has been necked down to 1°/day? Probably not without tons of accidental gravity losses at first. Or how about navigating in a restricted three body setting without the comfort of patched conics, unsure of whether you'll end up in a collision in your current reference frame?

It is clear there are now going to be more complicated spaceflight challenges in the sequel, but we'll be given more powerful navigational tools and more performant engines to deal with them. Even if the early areas of the game get easier, I can almost guarantee there will be systems far out there that, if they can be reached, will challenge veteran stock KSP 1 players.

Edited by Wubslin

2 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

The devs have spent many hours playing KSP. Nate Simpson claims to have at least 2000 hrs put into KSP. They do know the original. They will get it right.

Bingo! This game has been in the works since 2017  (it looks like from what we have seen to be absolutely incredible!) they’ll make sure it won’t be another cyberpunk. 

1 hour ago, Dientus said:

But they are trying to make money, and no game is ever all things to all people. All games that have ever tried this approach, to gain sales, has fallen short... Usually miserably... Do they realize that if they try to appeal to all people in all things it will cause backlash of failing at the primary goal? Will they over think, over engineer, over polish it to the point that the original charm and appeal of the game is overshadowed with bloated gameplay? 

My first feelings are they won't overdo it, that it will succeed. But there is this nagging feeling at the back of my head that leaves me to say that I truly do not know how it will turn out.

I really hope it will be great, but I keep seeing things that bother me in the limited info that has come out which makes me wonder how much I'm not going to like.  Even more than wondering if the game will be great, I wonder if it will be great for me.  I've encountered several games recently that should have been good, but I just couldn't enjoy that much and ended up deleting after a few hours.

4 hours ago, Omni122 said:

I mean, I feel like there's a good chance that the devs will fail to replicate the charm that the original KSP has. I feel like they'll just overpolish and oversimplify it down to nothing. I feel like they'll just make a game that's Modded KSP but with a shiny coating.

Yeah, I'm worried that it wont feel like KSP anymore, and will instead seem more like simple rockets in a way. I too fear that the entire game will be over simplified (or at least the standard progression from say LKO missions to Duna and Eve mission). 

I just hope that it will still have the feel of KSP and will still be very challenging. Something else I love about KSP is that its realistic and in my opinion only slightly whacky, and I think that KSP2 will make kerbals too childish and clumsy to be cartoonish.

I do have faith in the Dev team and I love everyone's work, but I am worried that my favourite part of the game will be the graphics of the planets and moons lol.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'd really like to believe KSP 2 will come out good, but I don't feel comfortable about how tight-lipped the devs are. Couldn't hurt to share things like the map view and a player assembling a rocket.

I mean you say that but *waves hands in the general direction of the Internet*. 

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:
2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'd really like to believe KSP 2 will come out good, but I don't feel comfortable about how tight-lipped the devs are. Couldn't hurt to share things like the map view and a player assembling a rocket.

I mean you say that but *waves hands in the general direction of the Internet*. 

The few images we've seen of a rocket in the VAB and in flight? Won't cut it, I want to see videos of where we're spending most of the time in the game because I'm not convinced that there shouldn't be anything to hide.

I wonder...

If I worry loudly enough, will they feed me reassurance in the form of video?

But seriously, KSP1 was never finished. No game can be all things to all people, that's why they are making mod support a key part of the game. Mods are what will keep KSP2 alive for a decade or more. 

From some of the comments of the developers, it seems like they are farther along in gameplay development than many suspect. I also suspect they are adding completely new gameplay mechanics. Believe it or not, KSP has the ability to attract the exploration/survival/resource gathering/crafting game crowd that has been exceedingly popular over the last ten years. I think they are hiding those kinds of game mechanics from us at this point. If they can successfully leverage those mechanics, they can boost KSP well past current popularity.