Anyone else worried that KSP 2 will be bad?

Omni122

Have faith in the devs, I'd say. they've shown us all sorts of splendiferous and extravagant engines, technology, game mechanics, and content through the dev diaries, show and tell videos, and out her eon the forums. I'd say they won't oversimplify stuff.

Let's just remain optimistic.

If realize the very limited nature of a space rocket simulator at all, by the end of 2022, what can KSP2 have, still absent in KSP1 at that time?
What could they add without melting existing CPUs and requiring 128 MB of RAM?

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

If realize the very limited nature of a space rocket simulator at all, by the end of 2022, what can KSP2 have, still absent in KSP1 at that time?
What could they add without melting existing CPUs and requiring 128 MB of RAM?

So much "wat?"

That said, 

I think the devs are just trying to keep the hype inferno as just embers lest it burn itself out a la CP2077. A game whose development motto was "It will be released when it is done". But over hyping and crowd reaction to delays didn't allow that to happen.

I bet KSP 2 gets delayed another year and since the hype has generally remained limited to the hardcore and fervent player base the backlash will be minimal to any such delays. I just hope they continue to give us advanced notice to such delays instead of waiting until release is 3 months away to tell us.

So overall, I'm not too worried, or at least I am having to keep telling myself that, because the potential to this game makes me very excited and I already know I probably wont get 50% of what I hope for.

Let’s put it this way.  I’m glad KSP2 is not an update to KSP1 and that KSP1 will still be around if whomever the devs of KSP2 are manage to blow it.  At this point its 50/50 as to whether KSP2 will be terrible.  My lack of confidence comes from some no name dev outfit, that was all gobbled up from the last no name dev outfit, thats a minor little indie arm of a dev that I have heard of.   At least Flying Tiger had a development history.   I wish them luck, their marketing sure looks nice, but I’m not expecting this to be the KSP2 I want so my expectations are muted. If they knock it out of the park and do a great job then it will come up roses for everyone, which would be nice.  

Wowzer, did not expect so many replies. Let's look at some interesting things you guys have said.

22 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

The devs have spent many hours playing KSP. Nate Simpson claims to have at least 2000 hrs put into KSP. They do know the original. They will get it right.

Knowing the original isn't enough, if they even do. At the end of the day they're a business and will probably do what makes money.

20 hours ago, Wubslin said:

This thread is crazy. The devs have made every indication that the game is about building rockets, flying rockets around in semi-realistic spaceflight, and exploring planets. That's exactly what KSP 1 was about. And KSP 1 did in fact have "dumbed down, made for kids" mechanics like has been described in this thread to appeal to a large audience interested in spaceflight. There's no orbital pertubations, spheres of influence are huge. There's no ullage, distances are tiny and reentry a joke. It is impossible to kill kerbals via starvation or acceleration, and there are no radiological concerns. You guys need to take a step back and look at the game that Intercept is following up on. I have over 1,000 hours in KSP 1 and I can assure you that there isn't a whole lot of depth to the stock gameplay. In fact where I run into limitations is not from my own piloting skills but by a lack of navigation tools in vanilla. Multi-planet gravity assist daisy chains are nigh impossible in stock KSP because the game lacks the guidance information that has been promised to us for KSP 2. Everything we've seen indicates that the basic elements of the game are going to get more nuanced than before instead of simpler. I mean, KSP 1 doesn't even have a delta-v map! I had to print one of those out and tape it to my wall.

"Making the game more accessible" from what marketing material we've seen most likely refers to a more comprehensive and easily digested passive tutorial system that can be disabled if so desired. Of course enabling sandbox mode and immediately reaching for the stupid powerful propulsion systems like the nuclear salt water rockets are going to lower the practical skill floor of the game, but that doesn't mean the skill ceiling isn't also being massively increased. Do you know how to fly an interstellar craft, mid timewarp, experiencing a constant 1 mG acceleration and whose attitude control authority has been necked down to 1°/day? Probably not without tons of accidental gravity losses at first. Or how about navigating in a restricted three body setting without the comfort of patched conics, unsure of whether you'll end up in a collision in your current reference frame?

It is clear there are now going to be more complicated spaceflight challenges in the sequel, but we'll be given more powerful navigational tools and more performant engines to deal with them. Even if the early areas of the game get easier, I can almost guarantee there will be systems far out there that, if they can be reached, will challenge veteran stock KSP 1 players.

You have to forgive them, it was made in 2011. It's one of the most advanced and accurate simulator games I've ever seen, jokes about the Kraken aside.  

17 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'd really like to believe KSP 2 will come out good, but I don't feel comfortable about how tight-lipped the devs are. Couldn't hurt to share things like the map view and a player assembling a rocket.

This, exactly. The game has been in the works for almost four years, it was slated to release last year. After all that development time they should have something more than animations and a handful of screenshots to show for it.

43 minutes ago, Omni122 said:

You have to forgive them, it was made in 2011. It's one of the most advanced and accurate simulator games I've ever seen, jokes about the Kraken aside.  

The fact that it's a simpler game isn't Squad failing to make a crazy simulationist game, it's them striking gold by understanding how to make a spaceflight game fun and accessible. All Intercept needs to do is carry that torch and take it to the furthest conclusion. If Orbiter 2010 was DCS world, then KSP would be War Thunder. It's the right amount of simulationist to appeal to people who don't want to have to look through hours and hours of manuals first. And the gameplay of KSP is definitely deeper than your own skills can manage for a very long time. I was trying to stress that KSP 1 is only simple compared to what KSP 2 could be. There's room to move up, and in no way does the game have to get harder for the average newcomer to do so.

20 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Guys....

C H I L L

Right? The devs read these forums. How would you feel if your game had a thread about how it sucks and it isn't even out yet?

I'm confident they'll release something grand. The interstellar progression alone would be worth the buy, but better performance, a sweet-looking UI, the ability to custom-paint your rockets, and colonies just makes it so much better. 

I think some are concerned because they think the devs will dumb down the space sim aspect. But how do you dumb down orbital mechanics? And they're adding n-body physics! That's not "dumbing down". This game is going to be awesome.

1 hour ago, Omni122 said:

Knowing the original isn't enough, if they even do. At the end of the day they're a business and will probably do what makes money.

You're implying that even though the devs are avid KSP fans, they shouldn't make a sequel to KSP. You're implying than someone who has no or limited knowledge of KSP make KSP2. That is surely a good way to destroy the KSP franchise.  

If you're worried about what the corporate side of things. That's not your concern nor do you have control over that. It's not something you have to stress about. Guarded optimism is the best approach in this case.

KSP2 won't be complete rehash of KSP1 with extra bells and whistles. KSP2 is seaming being build to include all the missing activities from KSP1 while hopefully making it more stable, better performing and more visually attractive.

If you're worried that KSP2 won't tick all the boxes for your expectations, you should expect it won't but be very happy if it does.

I personally don't think that KSP2 will tick all the boxes for my expectations, but one thing I'm sure of is that the devs will nail the essence that is KSP.

6 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

You're implying that even though the devs are avid KSP fans, they shouldn't make a sequel to KSP. You're implying than someone who has no or limited knowledge of KSP make KSP2. That is surely a good way to destroy the KSP franchise.  

If you're worried about what the corporate side of things. That's not your concern nor do you have control over that. It's not something you have to stress about. Guarded optimism is the best approach in this case

How on Earth am I implying that someone who doesn't know KSP should make the game? I'm implying quite the opposite.

As a player, it is my concern. If they prioritize sales over quality that is absolutely our concern.

Edited by Omni122

8 minutes ago, Omni122 said:

If they prioritize sales over quality that is absolutely our concern.

The market has demonstrated multiple times that there's enough space and audience for harder games, the only way to monetize the Kerbal IP, if your goal is sales, is to make it as hard as KSP1 if not harder.

Just now, Omni122 said:

What do you mean my "ploppable"?

You know, like sim city... You choose what you want to build and if you have enough resources a building is constructed directly on the surface. The art we have seen kinda look like that...

2 minutes ago, flack said:

You know, like sim city... You choose what you want to build and if you have enough resources a building is constructed directly on the surface. The art we have seen kinda look like that...

They explained in detail multiple times how that system is going to work, don't stop your search at the images.

If you need a keyword use: BAE (Building Assembly Editor).

Edited by Master39

3 minutes ago, Master39 said:

They explained in detail multiple times how that system is going to work, don't stop your search at the images.

If you need a keyword use: BAE (Building Assembly Editor).

I know how it works and thats why I said it doesnt look like the KSP 2 I would like it to be.

16 hours ago, TLTay said:

Believe it or not, KSP has the ability to attract the exploration/survival/resource gathering/crafting game crowd that has been exceedingly popular over the last ten years.

Methamphetamine has also been exceedingly popular over the last ten years. Doesn't mean you should try it. KSP is a game that is popular precisely because it did not just blatantly rip off what is popular. I would, however, pay good money to see the Devs make a rick roll video of Kerbals punching trees and rocks just to see the reaction.

24 minutes ago, flack said:

There will probably be platforms and possibly some other structures that you can build on top of. So it's not just plopping things on a terrain grid. I think a good reference would be something like Satisfactory minus the conveyor belts. But yeah, it doesn't look like we'll get complete free-form building similar to how the rockets are constructed.

I've actually raised concerns about stability of the physics simulation if they go the ship-building route for colonies, and I kind of wonder if that's the reason the structures we've seen all look like they are meant to be free-standing, rather than attached as modules. Personally, I'm ok with either if it's a design choice, but it'd be a little sad if they were forced into a particular way of constructing colonies by the engine.

You know, when I am presented with such conundrums, I always assume the worst. In this case, I will assume that KSP 2 will be a glitchy, soulless mess. If the game turns out great, then YAY! If the game turns out to be bad, well, at least I have mentally prepared myself for it already.

I expect this game to be good. I know it will be good in my heart.

Do I think it will be a cash grab? NO

Do I think it will be as good, if not better then the original? YES

As fans all we can do is support and discuss the game we love. I have been in this community for almost a year now, and it has been one of the best I have ever been in. 

This game will not be out for awhile-heck, it wont be out for a year!

Trashing on something that is not even close to release is just wrong.

Edited by PlutoISaPlanet
Spelling

I currently do not own KSP2. If its bad (I'll not buy it straight away, I'll wait and read the reviews, and/or wait for version 2.1 with the major bugs fixed) I'll still not own KSP2. No net change. I don't let things that don't affect me, worry me.

Otherwise I'd be worrying about random events on the other side of the world, over which I have no control. Not a good way to live!