[1.9.x - 1.12.x] Camera Tools continued v1.34.0 [2024-03-10]

DocNappers

OK, version 1.24.0 is released.

Improvements / Bugfixes:

• Initialise the "maxRelV" numeric field properly so that the field-width parameter is 6, not the min value.
  • Cache the atmospheric audio sound clips to avoid GC allocations.
  • Include the fix (from BDArmory) for Apple Silicon (M1 chip) not calculating sqrt properly when multiplied by a float.
    • https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/m1-incorrect-calculation-of-values-using-multiplication-with-mathf-dot-sqrt-when-an-unused-variable-is-declared
  • Add an auto-landing option to the stationary camera.
    • Without "Maintain Vel." enabled, the position of the camera is based on the vessel's current position.
    • With "Maintain Vel." enabled, the position of the camera is based on the vessel's predicted terrain intercept if it follows a ballistic trajectory (no drag).
    • The altitude of the camera above the terrain is defined by the "Up" component of the "Manual Flyby Position".
    • An extra horizontal offset is defined by the "Fwd" (in the vessel's velocity direction when activated) and "Right" components.

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2022 at 11:19 AM, jebycheek said:

Seems the audio problem still exists,engine sounds disappear when i switch camera view, if i stop using audio effect it don‘t occur no more, but danm i love those audio effects.

If I can figure out what the cause of the audio bug is, then I'll gladly fix it, but I'm not even sure if it's related to CameraTools or only indirectly triggered by something that CameraTools does.

• 2 weeks later...

v1.25.0 of CameraTools is now available with the following improvements / bugfixes:

• Add an inertial chase mode to the dogfight camera.
    • Inertial factor provides a looseness to the camera position.
    • Offsets are relative to the vessel frame of reference, instead of the camera frame of reference.
  • Save / restore other AudioSource fields that get modified as part of doppler SFX in case this is part of the cause of some sound bugs (not sure if it is or not, but better safe than sorry).
  • Rework the BDA secondary target priority to favour the vessel's target (instead of attacker) when it has recently been firing or fired a missile (requires BDA+ v1.5.4.1 or later).
  • Add a slider to control the minimum update interval of the BDA secondary target selection after switching targets (updates occur every 0.5s after the minimum interval has elapsed).

• 1 month later...

Hm.. I found an odd bug..
With the melomania  mod, and the camera tools mod, when in orbit and doing a flyby, the sounds seem to come from the craft itself so  gets louder and quieter depending on how far the camera is from the craft

In this situation, The craft was in low orbit around a Kerbin-like planet, and I set the camera to.. i think the fixed/flyby camera set to 300m/s starting from 1km from the craft so it passed right next to the craft while there was a soundtrack playing

• 4 weeks later...

v1.26.0 of CameraTools is now available with some minor fixes/improvements:

• Prevent the camera from going below the surface in dogfight mode when the vessel is landed or near the surface when splashed.
  • Disable roll and offset in dogfight mode when the vessel is an EVA kerbal.
  • Ignore ksp_dir.txt lines starting with # for post-build events in Linux (not sure how Windows should do this).
  • Fix bug in field name for input boxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Very much loving the mod! However I find myself unable to rotate the camera in Stationary Mode, even using the Middle Mouse + Right Click combo. All that does is move the camera and pan it at the same time, instead of roll. Is this a bug, or am I simply doing something wrong?

3 hours ago, Dusty9261 said:

Very much loving the mod! However I find myself unable to rotate the camera in Stationary Mode, even using the Middle Mouse + Right Click combo. All that does is move the camera and pan it at the same time, instead of roll. Is this a bug, or am I simply doing something wrong?

I'm pretty sure that Stationary Mode does not support camera rotation.

• 1 month later...

v1.27.0 of CameraTools is now available with the following improvements/fixes:

• Fix dogfight centroid mode.
  • Add checks for the active vessel being a BDA missile and use dogfight chase mode if it is.
  • Add roll option to stationary camera using right+middle mouse buttons, with the movement modifier key (keypad enter) switching between camera and world coordinate systems.
  • Add support for using the MouseAimFlight mod in dogfight camera mode.
  • Delay camera activation/deactivation when not in flight mode until back in flight mode.

Did something change in this mod that makes the camera continue moving after you press zoom in/out, or move the camera?  It used to just move and stop when I let off the button and now it's continuing to float.  If that doesn't describe the issue well enough, last time I used this mod the camera had SAS on.  Now it has no SAS.  What gives?

Edit:  Nevermind, I figured out that pressing 2 turns that off.  Still, now I have another issue.  I used to be able to set a position on the ground, then tap Home, and the camera would be on the ground, looking at my vessel.  Now I hit Home, and the camera is floating above the rocket, and no amount of moving it with the keyboard control gets it anywhere close to the position I set.

I don't know what changed, but I've been using this mod for YEARS and never had these issues.  What is going on?

Edited by DeliriumTrigger

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2023 at 7:53 AM, DocNappers said:

v1.27.0 of CameraTools is now available with the following improvements/fixes:

• Fix dogfight centroid mode.
  • Add checks for the active vessel being a BDA missile and use dogfight chase mode if it is.
  • Add roll option to stationary camera using right+middle mouse buttons, with the movement modifier key (keypad enter) switching between camera and world coordinate systems.
  • Add support for using the MouseAimFlight mod in dogfight camera mode.
  • Delay camera activation/deactivation when not in flight mode until back in flight mode.

Thanks for your continued support of this mod it is greatly appreciated.

Would it be possible to add key command reset roll for the “stationary camera roll”?

On 3/24/2023 at 10:09 PM, DeliriumTrigger said:

Did something change in this mod that makes the camera continue moving after you press zoom in/out, or move the camera?  It used to just move and stop when I let off the button and now it's continuing to float.  If that doesn't describe the issue well enough, last time I used this mod the camera had SAS on.  Now it has no SAS.  What gives?

Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. I must have missed the notification somehow.

Speed mode (vs position mode) for keyboard input was added in v1.23.0 (with the default keybind of [2] for toggling it) for smoother movements. I can add a visual toggle to the settings so it's easier to see which mode it's in. I presume this is what you meant by SAS.

On 3/24/2023 at 10:09 PM, DeliriumTrigger said:

Edit:  Nevermind, I figured out that pressing 2 turns that off.  Still, now I have another issue.  I used to be able to set a position on the ground, then tap Home, and the camera would be on the ground, looking at my vessel.  Now I hit Home, and the camera is floating above the rocket, and no amount of moving it with the keyboard control gets it anywhere close to the position I set.

This still works, but by the sounds of it, you have one of the "Auto Flyby Position", "Auto Landing Position" or "Manual Flyby Position" toggles enabled, which overrides the initial camera position.

5 hours ago, NBDesigns said:

Would it be possible to add key command reset roll for the “stationary camera roll”?

Sure, can do.

Version 1.28.0 is now released.

Improvements / Bugfixes

• Adjust random mode selection for low altitude to be more amenable to BDA pod-racing.
  • Add a visual toggle for free-move mode (speed vs position).
  • Add an optional keybind for resetting the roll in stationary camera mode. Initially unbound, remove the entry from the settings.cfg to unbind it once bound.
  • Fix camera position in Stationary and Dogfight modes when returning from Map mode.
  • Add a free-look mode to Dogfight mode (hold right mouse button, compatible with MouseAimFlight integration).

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @DocNappers,this just happened to me. After setting off the camera tools, the ship doesn't have sound. It only happens when using "stationary" tool and "audio effects" enabled. Noticed that if you change the tool, it doesn't fix, but if you press "random mode" sometimes it fixes itself. However, when you disable cameratools again while using "stationarycamera" the error comes again. Are you aware of this bug, or its just me? Thx

Edited by NaviG

On 6/17/2023 at 12:39 AM, NaviG said:

Hello @DocNappers,this just happened to me. After setting off the camera tools, the ship doesn't have sound. It only happens when using "stationary" tool and "audio effects" enabled. Noticed that if you change the tool, it doesn't fix, but if you press "random mode" sometimes it fixes itself. However, when you disable cameratools again while using "stationarycamera" the error comes again. Are you aware of this bug, or its just me? Thx

This isn't directly a bug in Camera Tools, but it is aggravated by it.

Basically, the Sound Manager in KSP only has a limited number of virtual channels and the stationary mode in Camera Tools adds a bunch of audio sources to various vessel types when the "audio effects" option is enabled. If too many audio sources get added to KSP's Sound Manager, then it just breaks for a while (I'm not entirely sure what it's doing internally or what the precise trigger that makes it break is, but it usually recovers after a while once the number of active audio sources decreases again). Camera Tools tries to detect when KSP fails to play its audio sources and stops trying to play those audio sources for a bit to try to help KSP recover, but it's a bit of a black box.

• 1 month later...

@DocNappers thank you very much for keeping this mod alive! 
I would like to know if there is any way I can increase the max free camera distance as well as zoom >100 from the setting/cfg files? 
If that is not user access would it be possible to add a zoom toggle (1x-100x toggle 10x-1000x) 

I love exploring new ways to use ksp and macro zooming feels like an adventure. 

Edited by NBDesigns

16 hours ago, NBDesigns said:

@DocNappers thank you very much for keeping this mod alive! 
I would like to know if there is any way I can increase the max free camera distance as well as zoom >100 from the setting/cfg files? 
If that is not user access would it be possible to add a zoom toggle (1x-100x toggle 10x-1000x) 

I love exploring new ways to use ksp and macro zooming feels like an adventure. 

With the "Auto Zoom" disabled, the zoom already goes up to 1000x (technically from 1 to 1096.6=e⁸/e¹), but yes, I can make the limit customisable.

I presume for the free camera distance, you're referring to the distance in dogfight mode since the other modes don't have any limits. Yes, I can make those limits customisable too.

OK, v1.29.0 of CameraTools is now available with the following improvements/fixes:

• Add a configurable movement threshold to activating free-look mode (default: 0.1).
  • If the camera parent gets stolen, automatically steal it back if it's the original camera parent (due to spawning a kerbal, BDA MML, etc.).
  • Allow customising the maximum value of the zoom, auto zoom, dogfight distance and dogfight offsets in the settings.cfg.
  • Optimisations to how part audio effects are managed.
  • Rework the sonic boom calculations, allowing them to reset and removing the booming when switching vessels/restarting camera modes.

Edit: ... and an immediate bugfix release (v1.29.1) due to the wind-tear audio being too loud.

Edited by DocNappers

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

v1.30.0 of CameraTools is now available. It has the following fixes/improvements:

• Fix stock aero FX not being applied and provide a toggle to disable them.
  • Adjustments to fix some issues when BDArmory should be inhibiting CameraTools and more detailed debugging messages.
  • Add check for new BDA OrbitalAI.