[1.9.x - 1.12.x] Camera Tools continued v1.34.0 [2024-03-10]

DocNappers

34 minutes ago, Oraldo revak said:

is there a way that I uncap the move speed limit? 

Yes, I've just added this and released it as v1.18.1. The min and max values will appear in the settings after the first time the settings get saved:

freeMoveSpeedMin = 0.1
  freeMoveSpeedMax = 100
  keyZoomSpeedMin = 0.01
  keyZoomSpeedMax = 10

You can then edit them and hit the "Reload" button to update the values.

The min/max values on the slider might be slightly off due to the slider having 100 discrete steps and the displayed number might not fit if it's more than 3 digits, but the numeric fields should be precise.

Hi.

My favorite tool in CameraTools has been the pathing tool - but one disadvantage is that by default, it's pretty jerky between path nodes by default. Which is why I always set the "interpolation rate" to minimum so that I could get an almost smooth path. That slider seems to be missing here though. The new modes look promising, but I wasn't able to get as smooth motion as I could with minimum interpolation rate before.

2 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

Hi.

My favorite tool in CameraTools has been the pathing tool - but one disadvantage is that by default, it's pretty jerky between path nodes by default. Which is why I always set the "interpolation rate" to minimum so that I could get an almost smooth path. That slider seems to be missing here though. The new modes look promising, but I wasn't able to get as smooth motion as I could with minimum interpolation rate before.

Previously, the way the camera motion worked was that the target position and orientation of the camera was linearly interpolated between the path nodes and then the actual camera position and orientation would be linearly interpolated between its current position and orientation towards this target position by the "interpolation rate". So it was basically interpolating twice to get the smoother effect. This also means that the camera wasn't actually following the defined path, but rather chasing a point that's moving along the path; and the lower the "interpolation rate", the further the camera actually is from where the path says it should be.

The new interpolation modes provide better interpolation between path nodes for the position and orientation of the camera. As part of that, I removed the "interpolation rate" so that the camera would actually follow the defined path. I can add a slider for this back in.

1 hour ago, Bongotastic said:

Is there a way to fix the camera to a point to record a launch from a ground observer's perspective?  After setting a point with a mouse click, the camera zooms way out, often underground. 

The stationary camera should do this. Make sure the "Auto Flyby Position" and "Manual Flyby Position" are unchecked, set the camera position with the mouse and target the vessel with "Target Self". The camera position should stay fixed where you placed it and follow the launch. You may need to adjust the zoom.

20 minutes ago, DocNappers said:

The stationary camera should do this. Make sure the "Auto Flyby Position" and "Manual Flyby Position" are unchecked, set the camera position with the mouse and target the vessel with "Target Self". The camera position should stay fixed where you placed it and follow the launch. You may need to adjust the zoom.

Thanks, I'll try again. It worked just like this in my last career, but couldn't get it to this AM. I am probably doing something wrong.

Thanks for your work!

36 minutes ago, Bongotastic said:

Weird. Even with "Auto/Manual Flyby position" unchecked, I get erratic camera repositioning (going underground/water). I'm using RSS Canaveral, which may be a cause of this. 

Check that you don't have any old dlls lying around that are interfering. There should be only one line in the KSP.log with something like 

AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /######/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/CameraTools/Plugins/CameraTools.dll

Also, check that you don't have Random Mode enabled, that's gives the same as "Auto Flyby" when it chooses the stationary camera.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure why it's not working properly for you.

• 3 weeks later...

@DocNappers I've made a pull request with a series of tweaks/fixes/new features aimed at improving the user experience and versatility of pathing mode: https://github.com/BrettRyland/CameraTools/pull/4

The changes make creating complex paths much easier. Mainly it's easier to adjust rotation at different points in the path without affecting position, smoothly extend paths, make fine adjustments to keyframes and quickly preview changes to different sections of the path. Here's an example of a path that would have been incredibly difficult to make without the changes.

@EndAllFilms What about Camera Tools do you find hard to use?

Edited by HatBat

11 hours ago, HatBat said:

I've made a pull request with a series of tweaks/fixes/new features aimed at improving the user experience and versatility of pathing mode: https://github.com/BrettRyland/CameraTools/pull/4

OK, thanks! I'll check it out shortly. I'm fairly busy with work and trying to get the next bugfix release of BDArmory sorted out at the moment, but I should have time to look at it within the next week.

15 hours ago, HatBat said:

@DocNappers I've made a pull request with a series of tweaks/fixes/new features aimed at improving the user experience and versatility of pathing mode: https://github.com/BrettRyland/CameraTools/pull/4

The changes make creating complex paths much easier. Mainly it's easier to adjust rotation at different points in the path without affecting position, smoothly extend paths, make fine adjustments to keyframes and quickly preview changes to different sections of the path. Here's an example of a path that would have been incredibly difficult to make without the changes.

@EndAllFilms What about Camera Tools do you find hard to use?

Wow I though you had stoped making stuff, or that you were kidnapped by GMI

• 3 weeks later...

v1.19.0 of CameraTools is now released. Changelog:

Improvements

• Use a more stable direction for dogfight mode when the vessel is bobbing around on the ocean.
  • Auto-Enable for BDArmory when using surface AIs too.
  • Interpolation rate setting renamed to 'Secondary Smoothing', which takes values in the linear range from 0 to 1 to try to give the user a more intuitive understanding of what the setting does. Actual Lerp values are calculated as 10 ^ {-2 * secondary smoothing} (i.e., 1 to 0.01). Old paths are automatically upgraded to use the new variable.
  • The default hotkey for toggling the menu is now [0] (keypad 0) to avoid a conflict with the new AI GUI in BDArmory, which uses [/].
  • A variety of QoL improvements for pathing mode by HatBat:
    • Keys created during path playback are now automatically inserted at the current path time. Useful for molding paths in to specific shapes.
    • Added a 'Maintain Speed' button to the keyframe editor that adjusts the duration of the current keyframe to approximately match the speed between the previous two keyframes. Useful for smoothly extending paths and correcting speed inconsistencies in complex paths.
    • Camera updates can now be switched between Update or 'Real-time' and FixedUpdate or 'In-Game Time'. 'Real-time' creates smoother paths and works while the game is paused, which helps to reduce lag, while 'In-Game Time' is useful for making sure pathing speed is consistent with game physics and that none of the path is skipped when processing footage to remove lag. See FFmpeg's mpdecimate.
    • New keyframes created while CameraTools is inactive are now correctly started at the current camera position, rather than on top of the vessel facing down or inside the vessel, and use the stock zoom.
    • Path playback now starts from the selected keyframe if one is selected. Useful for previewing small changes to long paths.
    • The flight camera now correctly reverts to its original distance, orientation, zoom state and mode when pathing is deactivated.
    • Camera zoom is now updated immediately rather than gradually when selecting a keyframe or starting a path.
    • [7]/[1] now moves the pathing camera up/down relative to the frame instead of the ground. This functionality was previously on the scroll wheel.
    • Vertical movement with the mouse is now triggered by holding both the middle and left mouse buttons and moving the mouse forward/backward (replaces the previous scroll wheel functionality).
    • Holding keypad Enter (configurable) modifies the reference frame for movement to be relative to the vessel instead of the camera. Also, left/right and forward/backward are reversed for more natural movement when viewing the vessel from the front, which is the typical use-case.
    • The scroll wheel now adjusts the move speed while the pathing camera is active. This is useful for quickly switching between fine adjustments and repositioning of the camera.
    • The default time increment for new keys has been changed back to 10 seconds from 1 second. This is a more practical default path length and makes manually inserting new keys easier.
    • The default rotation interpolation mode is now CubicSpline, was previously Slerp.
    • The last path you used is now remembered between restarts.
    • The GUI no longer closes on pressing save. Replaced by a bit of visual feedback. Useful for habitual save pressers.
Edited by DocNappers
formatting

On 8/23/2021 at 7:12 AM, DocNappers said:

Check that you don't have any old dlls lying around that are interfering. There should be only one line in the KSP.log with something like 

AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /######/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/CameraTools/Plugins/CameraTools.dll

Also, check that you don't have Random Mode enabled, that's gives the same as "Auto Flyby" when it chooses the stationary camera.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure why it's not working properly for you.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:31 AM, Bongotastic said:

Weird. Even with "Auto/Manual Flyby position" unchecked, I get erratic camera repositioning (going underground/water). I'm using RSS Canaveral, which may be a cause of this. 

I'm excited to (re-)try this out in my new career games! :D

Is this possibly to do with the camera gradually shifting position as the rocket loses mass on ascent -- the static ground point selected still being relative to the craft's overall center of mass?

12 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Is this possibly to do with the camera gradually shifting position as the rocket loses mass on ascent -- the static ground point selected still being relative to the craft's overall center of mass?

No, the camera parent transform tracks the CoM of the active vessel between physics updates and the local position of the camera transform (i.e., the offset from the parent transform) is adjusted based on this change of CoM (and floating origin changes) to maintain its position, so changes to a vessel's CoM shouldn't affect the positioning of the camera (unless the speed is greater than Max Rel. V, in which case it will be moved to account for this).

8 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

I'm having an issue with the "Maintain vel" setting on the stationary camera - all it seems to do is make the flyby go backwards, instead of starting at the initial velocity of the craft (assuming that's what it's supposed to do)

I'll look into it. It ought to make the "stationary" camera move at the velocity of the craft at the time the stationary camera was started. If "Use Orbital" is selected, then the "initial velocity" is adjusted to follow the orbit.

If the craft's velocity (or orbit) isn't changing with respect to its initial velocity (or orbit), then maybe the "Max Rel V." setting is causing the camera to move?

20 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

I'm having an issue with the "Maintain vel" setting on the stationary camera - all it seems to do is make the flyby go backwards, instead of starting at the initial velocity of the craft (assuming that's what it's supposed to do)

OK, so after a bit of testing, the "Maintain Vel." setting is broken in certain ranges of altitudes for some unknown reason:

• Below 100km above Kerbin and with "Use Orbital" enabled, it adds some extra velocity to the camera.
  • Between 70km and 100km above Kerbin and with "Use Orbital" disabled, it adds some extra velocity to the camera.
  • The amount of velocity added doesn't seem to correspond to anything, but it does appear to be consistent. There doesn't appear to be any significant change in FloatingOrigin or Krakensbane values between <100km and >100km.

• 3 weeks later...

v1.19.1 of CameraTools is now released. Changelog:

Bugfixes:

• Fix random mode transitions that got broken in the last release.
  • Delay activating the new camera mode on vessel switches until LateUpdate for all camera modes, not just dogfight mode.
  • Reset the zoom slider when resetting the FOV.
  • Auto-switch the auto-zoom to regular zoom when entering pathing mode as pathing only uses the regular zoom.
  • Remove the temporaryRevert code (I think that was a Scott Manley hack).

Improvements:

• Adds autoEnableOverride for BDArmory's tournament inter-round time-warping.

Note: I've looked into manually adding in doppler effects (as discussed earlier), but I don't think it's possible to implement it properly. Some issues that prevent it are:

• Lack of an event for when a new AudioSource appears.
  • The approach I was thinking to use was to directly modify the pitch of AudioSources, but this has two problems:
    • It ought to be modified on the AudioListener instead, since if there's more than one AudioListener then the AudioSources can't be modified for the doppler effect on both listeners simultaneously.
    • There's no event for when the pitch gets modified by some other mod (or KSP itself) and no guarantee that they wouldn't be modifying it based on the value that CameraTools modified it to instead of its original value.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I am using the last version of Camera tools on KSP 1.11.2 and it does not show. I had to re install the previous version to have shown in the game, and hopefully I did not throw it and kept it aside. I can only find the last release on GitHub and not the previous ones.....

2 hours ago, gilflo said:

Hello I am using the last version of Camera tools on KSP 1.11.2 and it does not show. I had to re install the previous version to have shown in the game, and hopefully I did not throw it and kept it aside. I can only find the last release on GitHub and not the previous ones.....

I've just checked CameraTools on KSP 1.11.2 and verified that it does show the icon and work properly on that version of KSP. (There's nothing that CameraTools uses in KSP's API that has changed recently, so even much older versions of KSP should be fine.)

Your installation must have been messed up. Make sure you don't have multiple copies of the DLLs lying around your GameData folder.

On 9/29/2021 at 4:12 PM, DocNappers said:

OK, so after a bit of testing, the "Maintain Vel." setting is broken in certain ranges of altitudes for some unknown reason:

• Below 100km above Kerbin and with "Use Orbital" enabled, it adds some extra velocity to the camera.
  • Between 70km and 100km above Kerbin and with "Use Orbital" disabled, it adds some extra velocity to the camera.
  • The amount of velocity added doesn't seem to correspond to anything, but it does appear to be consistent. There doesn't appear to be any significant change in FloatingOrigin or Krakensbane values between <100km and >100km.

Has any progress been made on this? Other than that, it seems to work pretty well!

13 minutes ago, The Destroyer said:

Has any progress been made on this? Other than that, it seems to work pretty well!

No, not yet. I've been working on BDArmory lately and other real-life stuff.

I did investigate it quite some time ago when I first took over Camera Tools, but didn't manage to figure out why it does that.