Show and Tell - Kerbal materials

StarSlay3r

On 3/20/2021 at 12:19 AM, KSPStar said:

What are Kerbals made of? Plants, snacks, regret? Intercept Senior 3D artist Jordan Pack decided to explore what Kerbals would look like if they were made of different materials. Check 'em out.

These won't be in Kerbal Space Program 2, at least until we add a puppetry expansion.

kerbalmats.jpg

2_skin.jpg

2_skinclose.jpg

A. The 'skin' texture just needs some slight wrinkles and folds and stuff, then it's good to go. I think @benjee10 did a great job on that in his Historical Kerbal Heads skin pack.
B. The plant is really creepy. Even real plants don't have their hollow cells on the outside, they do have some sort of 'skin'. So the 'skin' texture doesn't violate anybody's headcanon, because on the inside kerbals could still be made of anything.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman
I'm gonna have nightmares for the whole week now...

On 3/19/2021 at 12:19 PM, KSPStar said:

What are Kerbals made of? Plants, snacks, regret? Intercept Senior 3D artist Jordan Pack decided to explore what Kerbals would look like if they were made of different materials. Check 'em out.

These won't be in Kerbal Space Program 2, at least until we add a puppetry expansion.

kerbalmats.jpg

1_wool.jpg

2_skin.jpg

2_skinclose.jpg

4_plant.jpg

5_foam.jpg

6_plush.jpg

Now replace all the plants on Kerbin with Plant Kerbals

On 3/19/2021 at 9:19 AM, KSPStar said:

kerbalmats.jpg

1_wool.jpg

2_skin.jpg

2_skinclose.jpg

4_plant.jpg

5_foam.jpg

6_plush.jpg

Woah! Hold on. Computers can make that image????? Or capapble? Wow. They all look so real....... I dont know. I do like the skin one the most however.

1 hour ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

Woah! Hold on. Computers can make that image?

Yes, they can, they've been able to since about 2014 (Common real-time renderers, that is. Raytracing came much earlier, but wasn't really accessible to games about 2019 because of the computing power needed for real-time RT). And this isn't really that impressive in terms of realism. After all, this is a quick test render without a proper environment (just that default background), lit by a simple spot light. Just that modern games allow for better, more realistic materials than the comparatively ancient KSP1 (even ones that use the same Unity game engine, like KSP2)

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

Just now, OrdinaryKerman said:

Yes, they can, they've been able to since about 2014. And this isn't really that impressive in terms of realism. After all, this is a quick test render without a proper environment (just that default background), lit by a simple spot light. Just that modern games allow for better, more realistic materials than the comparatively ancient KSP1 (even ones that use the same Unity game engine, like KSP2)

They have! Really? Maybe becasue the games I play are like over 5 years old. Hehe.

It's a little sad that the developers decided to share with us their experiments with normals for T-pose kerbal models. I hope someday we will be shown something more interesting, for example, the surfaces of other planets.

2 hours ago, Alexoff said:

It's a little sad that the developers decided to share with us their experiments with normals for T-pose kerbal models. I hope someday we will be shown something more interesting, for example, the surfaces of other planets.

Well, in the name, "Kerbal" comes before "Space", so why not show us the Kerbals first?

On 3/19/2021 at 1:38 PM, prestja said:

"I sent you my SSTO, pls respond"

Found this on twitter

On 3/23/2021 at 3:39 PM, OrdinaryKerman said:

(even ones that use the same Unity game engine, like KSP2)

Unity is actually pretty powerful and can make very realistic scenes.  It just takes some shaders and the ability to make art.

Edited by Kerminator K-100

On 3/27/2021 at 1:36 PM, Alexoff said:

I love that with all the misplaced paranoia about what the lack of information means (as if the PR team decisions have anything to do with the actual state of the game) they decided to drop something as silly as this, or the Clouds.

It's a good way to say "hey we're still here" without revealing anything that they don't want to reveal for whatever PR reason.

2 hours ago, Master39 said:

I love that with all the misplaced paranoia about what the lack of information means (as if the PR team decisions have anything to do with the actual state of the game) they decided to drop something as silly as this, or the Clouds.

It's a good way to say "hey we're still here" without revealing anything that they don't want to reveal for whatever PR reason.

Agreed. Possibly real in-game VAB and launchpad photos, but with the April Fool mystique. I thought it was perfect timing and is actually reassuring in my mind.

3 hours ago, Master39 said:

No Man's Sky was also tight lipped during development, and probably because development was a trainwreck. What bad stuff could be happening BTS to KSP 2 to warrant these tight lips? What warrants keeping normal gameplay behind closed doors? We've already seen cinematic in-game shots, give us proper gameplay footage. Release was scheduled a long while back, it's about time we know what the game looks like now.

57 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

No Man's Sky was also tight lipped during development

Sean Murray was everywhere giving interviews about features that weren't even planned for the game, quite the opposite of being "tight lipped".

57 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

What bad stuff could be happening BTS to KSP 2 to warrant these tight lips? What warrants keeping normal gameplay behind closed doors?

The same for every other studio that doesn't show you a live feed of their surveillance system more than a year before the planned release, nothing special or out of the ordinary.

The PR strategy is completely independent from the development, this isn't some guy in a garage managing everything on his spare time and blogging as much as writing code, it's a real studio with a real publisher and often times a year from release you don't have the amount of information we already have about KSP2, at most a teaser and a title.

Setting aside possible delays due to the human-malware or Microsoft eating them, this year or early next year Bethesda should release Starfield,  that puts it in the same-ish launch window as KSP2, what do we know about that game? 

• It's single player
  • It's set in space
  • It may be an RPG
  • there's a teaser of something in orbit with the title fading in
  • there are 5 or 6 supposedly leaked screenshots of a very generic wall of a very generic station with a very generic looking sci-fi hud.

and that's it, they'll probably say something at this year's E3 (if it still exists).

That's the standard in the industry.

Edited by Master39

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

Failures are standard in the industry, yes.

Yep, and you can't predict them by looking at the PR strategy.

There isn't any solid pattern suggesting that not showing everything a year and a half before launch is sign of anything out of the ordinary.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.