[1.12.x] GPWS - Warning System for Planes Updated

linuxgurugamer

Original mod made by @bssthu, original thread here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/101297-wi

GPWS

This mod was inspired from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55408-0-24-Dev-slowdown-Nagging-Nadia-v0-13-beta by SolarLiner, and http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43134-0-22-GPWS-for-Jets-Planes-v1-2-Hear-yourself-land!-or-crash! by Cryphonus.

This mod adds warning sounds for KSP. GPWS means "ground proximity warning system", a terrain awareness and alerting system. I also add TCAS ("traffic collision avoidance system") warning.

t980Na2.png

How to Use

• For planes:
    • Fly an aircraft with landing gear(s).  The mod recognizes stock, FireSpitter, & KSPWheel landing gear 
  • For Landers:
    • It will warn you if it thinks you are crashing.
    • There is a button on either/both stock and Blizzy's toolbar.  Click it to open GUI to edit settings or view current warning status. You are free to turn off warnings you don't want to hear.
    • You can edit settings.cfg for more accurate adjustment.
    • P.S.1. This mod uses feet for plane altitude.
    • P.S.2. Change "Descent Rate Factor" to allow faster/slower sink rate. (Set to 2 means you are allowed to sink 2 times faster than default.)

Supported Warning List

Plane

• sink rate
  • sink rate, whoop whoop pull up
  • terrain, terrain
  • terrain, terrain, whoop whoop pull up
  • don't sink
  • too low gear
  • too low terrain
  • bank angle
  • altitude callout (1000, 500, approaching minimus, minimus, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10)(use feet by default)
  • (reduce thrust)
  • traffic
  • v1, rotate
  • gear up
  • (stall) (joystick vibration tested on x1 controller) (I don't think it will work on linux or osx)

Lander

• sink rate
  • horizontal speed
  • altitude callout (1000, 500, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10)(use meter by default)
  • (reduce thrust)

Dependencies

Available via CKAN

Availability

Changes

• Changed from Update to FixedUpdate to reduce cpu, no need to check more often than the physics tics
  • Made it only do checks every other FixedUpdate to save CPU
  • Cleaned up some code
  • Added Toolbarcontroller
  • Added ClickThroughBlocker
  • Added KSP_Log
  • Changed method of determining whether vessel is a plane or not from looking at the landing gear to using the vesseltype
  • Change volume reference from VoiceVolume to max of Voicevolume and SHIP_VOLUME
  • Updated text on setting screen a bit to make it make more sense
  • Updated MM config to include KSPWheel and stock wheel in code to determine if has gear or not
  • Moved initialization of button styles into Registertoolbar, now only does 1x and avoids unnecessary if's in the OnGUI loop
Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...

If your looking for something to do with this, I found that the sound was way too low a volume. I could hardly hear the audio warnings over the jet noise even with Volume at 100%.

I feel like all I do these days is whinge about how your mods could be better LGG. I hope you realise it's actually a combination of the huge number of your mods I use, my boundless confidence in your skills, and a belief that you can tweak and fix anything with little more than a wave of your hand.

My short term fix is to just to increase the volume of the .wav files in the mod's Sounds folder. 

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, they are there for some reason, so you do need to put them into the main game directory, I think.

Best to install via CKAN

Ok.  Not needed, left over from something else.  CKAN does not install it, I'll get a new version out to remove it

Edit: I need to test

Edit2:  Those files are used to provide force feedback.  It's optional, I need to fix CKAN to install it

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just quit my game to install this and when i restarted game i got a bug that i never got before, i get to start screen and my mouse is moving but nothing happens when i click start game or any of the other options....

Any ideas how to fix this ?

Edit: deleting this mod solved  it but i would really like to play with this mod, so if you know a fix please let me know :(

Edit2: sorry didn't see dependencies part, works now :)

Edited by ason

• 4 months later...

I'm really sorry for posting on an 'old thread' but I just have to say that it's a very nice mod. It has genuinely helped me out in certain scenarios with the callouts , It's also just very nice to hear "TERRAIN TERRAIN, PULL UP" when I've messed up. Thank you for this really cool mod.

I really would recommend others to get it!

Edited by pyropelush

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I really like this mod.

I did edit the warnings though, since they tended to loop immediately rather than have a moment of silence between soundings. I also replaced the "horizontal speed" sound effect with a 737/787 overspeed alarm. It was super weird going 400m/s above the Mun while hearing a computer voice saying what sounded like "hollyhopbullseed-hollyhopbullseed-hollyhopbullseed-hollyhopbullseed-" over and over.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.