[1.9.x, 1.10.x, 1.11.x] Persistent Rotation Upgraded

linuxgurugamer

Originally written by @MarkusA380, it's been dormant for a few years. @whale_2 did do some maintenance on it, it hasn't been updated since march, 2020.

I did hear from @markusa380 on Github, but he never responded after the first message. I submitted a PR to him, but it seems to have died a stillborn death.   So I decided to adopt this.

Original thread is here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/102277-18-persistentrotation-186/

I've made the following changes and will maintain this moving forward.:

•  Merged in localization changes from github user @6DBYZBX, includes both english and chinese
  •  Replaced toolbar code with the Toolbarcontroller
  •  Added ClickThroughBlocker
  •  Removed buttons referencing specific button (toolbar or stock)
  •  Added button referencing generic toolbar
  •  Added new .version file (Upgraded)
  •  Added LGG local build files

Description

Momentum and Rotation in KSP are quite unrealistic.  This mod will maintain rotation through timewarping and changing vessels, etc.

Dependencies

A42tBcT.png  Beginners guide on GitHub wiki

Feature List

- Persistence of Momentum through timewarping and restarts.

- Momentum Autopilot, keeping your vessel at fixed RPM.

- Non-physical spin simulation when vessel is warping or unloaded.

- Reference Rotation in both realtime and timewarp, 100% persistent.*

- Slight spin for every Asteroid per default.

- Simple & intuitive GUI supporting both Stock and Blizzy's Toolbar.

Availability

Available via CKAN

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Process for searching mods:

Google -> Find mod thread -> notice it's outdated -> go to last page -> find Linuxgurugamer takeover post -> be eternally grateful:heart_eyes:

Edit: turned my Patreon back on and added German config pull request. @linuxgurugamer thank you for your service!

Edited by avalancha

• 2 weeks later...

Am I being dense or just not understanding something?

When I set my ship to prograde, the mod does what it should :)

When I set the same vessel the radial in, it carries on spinning (in warp) like the mod doesn't exist? Am I doing something wrong?

Mod version is latest on CKAN :) 1.9.1.1

• 4 weeks later...

If the craft has a low rotational momentum, when time warping it remains perfectly static (relative to the stars/skybox). It seems to only preserves momentum beyond a certain threshold. Is there a way to remove this threshold and make it so that no craft is 100% stable, even with a very low rotational momentum?

Also, is there a way to make the mod always active? I have to activate the "Rotation" option every time I launch a new craft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I see that my ship in orbit around kerbin only hold attitude in time warp with SAS on and in prograde! If I select retrograde, the ship lost track and will only require when I disable time warp.

Is this expected behavior or is it a bug?

* Update 1:

I saw now that my vessel hold attitude if I select "Stability Assist" and activate "Rotation Mode" in this mod. But why my vessel hold attitude in prograde without activating this mod? Is this stock or was introduced by this mod?

* Update 2:

I saw now that this mod treats SAS in prograde in a special way, keeping the attitude even with the mod disabled. I think it would be better to remove this special case or add the other SAS modes. And only activate them when the mod is enabled!

Maybe you could remove this commit: a0d41fd3522130b0b9fde1511ff0ecaf062f4f74

Edited by Dominiquini

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Why?

As I said, one thing that bothers me is him doing something undocumented even while he's disabled. Another is that it treats prograde differently from other SAS modes...

The suggestion I gave was just the easiest to implement. I think the ideal would be to enable the mod to act in all SAS modes, but only when enabled.

Anyway, thanks for maintaining him!

10 hours ago, Dominiquini said:

As I said, one thing that bothers me is him doing something undocumented even while he's disabled. Another is that it treats prograde differently from other SAS modes...

The suggestion I gave was just the easiest to implement. I think the ideal would be to enable the mod to act in all SAS modes, but only when enabled.

Anyway, thanks for maintaining him!

This mod is never disabled.  Certain settings are, but the mod is always active

Apologies if this has been addressed in the past, but, are there any known mod conflicts that result in ships getting torn apart when the rotation is imparted back to them? Or, recommendations for building ships better to avoid them succumbing to this?

No logs or anything, because it's not strictly an error. Probably just my inability to build a ship. But I thought I'd ask anyhow.