[1.9.x, 1.10.x, 1.11.x] Persistent Rotation Upgraded

linuxgurugamer

On 6/21/2021 at 11:30 AM, BlooSkies said:

re there any known mod conflicts that result in ships getting torn apart when the rotation is imparted back to them?

@linuxgurugamerA while back when I was making MandatoryRCS, which has also a persistent rotation feature, I noticed that PR was applying forces to the vessel parts too early on scene loads, resulting in occasional kraken-like events. This probably wasn't ever fixed.

10 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

@linuxgurugamerA while back when I was making MandatoryRCS, which has also a persistent rotation feature, I noticed that PR was applying forces to the vessel parts too early on scene loads, resulting in occasional kraken-like events. This probably wasn't ever fixed.

I been using PR with MandatoryRCS for a few months now on my career save and this hasnt happen yet. Most of the time I put my ships  tracking the sun before entering time warp , maybe that did something to avoid those kraken events...

I did some experimenting and figured out I can reliably trigger RUD when coming out of warp using PR with these settings:

Reference set to anything EXCEPT "none"
Rotation mode NOT active ("rotation" at the top is red, button at the bottom says "activate")
SAS on standard stability assist (prograde and retrograde seem to work as intended)

It seems to me that the "deactivate/activate" button is unnecessary and perhaps misleading. Having rotation mode deactivated is the same as setting the reference to "none", and PR itself is always active so the button could be confusing to some people. 
Hopefully this is helpful. My install is very lightly modded, and all from CKAN. I didn't see anything unusual-looking in the log, but I can provide more information if necessary.

Hi there, I'm having issues where whenever I activate timewarp with Prograde selected, my ship immediately flips around to point retrograde, and vise-versa. It isn't an issue with not having the correct probe orientation, as all other controls are correct, and my ship has only one probe core. I'm running KSP 1.8.1 without Mandatory RCS (just a MM patch that nerfs reaction wheels), so there shouldn't be conflict. It is a modded probe core, however, specifically the HLR-TRYP from BDB. Anyone else having this issue/know how to fix it?

Edited by RyGuy_McFly

10 hours ago, RyGuy_McFly said:

Hi there, I'm having issues where whenever I activate timewarp with Prograde selected, my ship immediately flips around to point retrograde, and vise-versa. It isn't an issue with not having the correct probe orientation, as all other controls are correct, and my ship has only one probe core. I'm running KSP 1.8.1 without Mandatory RCS (just a MM patch that nerfs reaction wheels), so there shouldn't be conflict. It is a modded probe core, however, specifically the HLR-TRYP from BDB. Anyone else having this issue/know how to fix it?

Do you have any other backwards facing parts? I had the same issue caused by a wrong-way-round (correct for the design) engine plate, which I believe was the root part for dV calculations reasons. Essentially this mod ignores what the probe is saying direction-wise and looks at the root :)

On 6/28/2021 at 11:42 AM, MR L A said:

Do you have any other backwards facing parts? I had the same issue caused by a wrong-way-round (correct for the design) engine plate, which I believe was the root part for dV calculations reasons. Essentially this mod ignores what the probe is saying direction-wise and looks at the root :)

Ahh, I do believe that's what happened. I'll re-root to the probe core again and report my findings. It's pretty annoying that the re-root tool also picks a new root part for the whole craft, but that's an argument for a different thread :confused:

SUPER LATE EDIT: Yup, re-rooting to a properly oriented probe core fixed the issue.

Edited by RyGuy_McFly

On 6/28/2021 at 2:42 PM, MR L A said:

Essentially this mod ignores what the probe is saying direction-wise and looks at the root :)

Is this possible to fix?

I also get a similar issue (ship flipping) when the control point is set to something other than default (reversed or forward, etc for probes).

On 7/3/2021 at 10:35 AM, shelshok said:

Is this possible to fix?

I also get a similar issue (ship flipping) when the control point is set to something other than default (reversed or forward, etc for probes).

Well, does re-rooting to the probe core before flying fix the issue? It might not be possible to fix for a vessel that's already launched, in which case I would suggest maybe switching to Mandatory RCS's persistent rotation feature (the other features of the mod can be individually disabled).

Edited by RyGuy_McFly

• 2 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer I've been playing with this mod, and I noticed a consistency issue that wasn't present in the original version as far as I can tell. The Prograde and Retrograde tracking in warp appear to function differently than the earlier-implemented "Stability Assist" SAS mode. That one will track to your set body, as do the others as far as I can tell, but only if your rotation speed is low enough. If you're spinning quite quickly, the attempt to hold attitude will fail and you'll continue to spin. This appears to be consistent with the mod's goal of making momentum and rotation more realistic, as stopping that rotation would require significant resources*. However, the Prograde and Retrograde hold do not conform to this standard - they instantly fix your craft to that vector upon entering warp, killing rotation for free in the same way stock timewarp does. This will persist upon exiting timewarp if you do so still set to that vector. Is there a way to make these modes more consistent with the premise of the mod?

Edited by RyanRising

3 hours ago, RyanRising said:

@linuxgurugamer I've been playing with this mod, and I noticed a consistency issue that wasn't present in the original version as far as I can tell. The Prograde and Retrograde tracking in warp appear to function differently than the earlier-implemented "Stability Assist" SAS mode. That one will track to your set body, as do the others as far as I can tell, but only if your rotation speed is low enough. If you're spinning quite quickly, the attempt to hold attitude will fail and you'll continue to spin. This appears to be consistent with the mod's goal of making momentum and rotation more realistic, as stopping that rotation would require significant resources*. However, the Prograde and Retrograde hold do not conform to this standard - they instantly fix your craft to that vector upon entering warp, killing rotation for free in the same way stock timewarp does. This will persist upon exiting timewarp if you do so still set to that vector. Is there a way to make these modes more consistent with the premise of the mod?

I disabled this feature because of this!

On 7/26/2021 at 10:40 PM, Bombaatu said:

How did you disable this? I'm having the same issue.

I needed to edit dll and recompile! I don't know if I can distribute the binary (I don't change the source... I edited the binary directly)!

<snipped>

Edited by Deddly

On 7/20/2021 at 5:06 AM, RyanRising said:

I will look into this, thank you for the report

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.9.1.5

• Fixed Prograde & Retrograde from snapping during timewarp IF there is any current movement
  • Added Radial out and Radial in
  • Renamed DLL for CKAN compatibility
  • Added AssemblyFileVersion
  • Updated version file for 1.12

This version on CKAN was bundled with 2 dlls:

- PersistentRotation.dll

- PersistentRotationUpgraded.dll

It's correct?

* I tested the game, and this mod adds 2 buttons. Maybe is because of the duplicate dlls!

Thanks.

Edited by Dominiquini

@Dominiquini Sorry to have to do this to you but I had so snip the link to your download because you are effectively releasing a fork, which is permitted by the licence in this case but means you need to start a new thread for your fork and follow all the requirements in the add-on posting rules to keep it legal. Sorry to disappoint you, but thanks for trying to be helpful!

I tried to update using Ckan, but didnt let me, so I uninstalled Persistent Rotation and tried to install it again, but it didnt let me, It says it is incompatible with one of the mods that I use (Mandatory RCS). I been playing with both installed in my current save without any trouble. What changed? 

Edited by SiCaRiO31

11 hours ago, Dominiquini said:

This version on CKAN was bundled with 2 dlls:

- PersistentRotation.dll

- PersistentRotationUpgraded.dll

It's correct?

* I tested the game, and this mod adds 2 buttons. Maybe is because of the duplicate dlls!

Thanks.

I'll get an updated release, for some reason it included two dlls

New release, 1.9.1.6

• Added Normal and Anti-Normal
  • Fixed multiple dlls in release

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, New Horizons said:

Is there a function to orientate towards sun? Especially playing with Kerbalism requires to face solar panels towards sun before leaving scene.

No, the mod will keep your orientation relative to the sun, whatever it is, through time warp and also changing ships . If you want your solar panels oriented to the sun you first do it with mechjeb, for example. The smartass has an adv page where you can select the sun as reference and the orientation of the ship relative to it. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm playing a realism overhaul playthrough and I've notice that any rotation I give my craft will amplify each time I enter and exit timewarp. For me this is causing craft to rotate far too fast for my RCS to correct and this hasn't happened when I've used principia (I'm not using principia in this playthrough though I know it has its own rotation persistence). 

I assumed this mod may be causing it, does anyone else experience something similar?