[1.9.x, 1.10.x, 1.11.x] Persistent Rotation Upgraded

linuxgurugamer

20 hours ago, EvanAllan said:

I had to remove this because I was experiencing kraken strikes fairly regularly when I would EVA a kerbal. Is this a known issue? Is there a way around it, because the game just isn't the same without this mod. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums.

Why do you think this mod is the problem?  I'm not aware of any existing issue.

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

Welcome to the forums.

Why do you think this mod is the problem?  I'm not aware of any existing issue.

Thanks! I've been playing KSP since 2012, but just got back into it after a long break.

I suspected it because it started after installing this mod, and then it never happened after removing it. After a few days I missed this mod so much I reinstalled it and then it happened again. I'm 99% certain no other mods were changed during that time, but I'm missing it again so I will probably try again and gather more data. All installed mods including this one are installed through CKAN.

It looked like the kerbal would start vibrating and then clip into the capsule it had just exited from before being flung away from the ship at high velocity. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/28/2021 at 1:03 AM, RyGuy_McFly said:

Hi there, I'm having issues where whenever I activate timewarp with Prograde selected, my ship immediately flips around to point retrograde, and vise-versa. It isn't an issue with not having the correct probe orientation, as all other controls are correct, and my ship has only one probe core. I'm running KSP 1.8.1 without Mandatory RCS (just a MM patch that nerfs reaction wheels), so there shouldn't be conflict. It is a modded probe core, however, specifically the HLR-TRYP from BDB. Anyone else having this issue/know how to fix it?

This bug has made the mod essentially unusable for me.  I'm at a section of my playthrough where I'll have multiple ships docked to the same massive (say, G-class) asteroid, trying to do precise maneuvers to arrange for very specific altitude aerobrakes, and it becomes impossible to time warp near re-entry without everything ending up pointed the wrong way.  And being such a massive asteroid, rotating it takes ages.

Ships composed of multiple, separately-launched parts with multiple probe cores are probably badly affected, too.

It seems like the obvious fix is to use the orientation of the current control node, rather than the root node.  Is that actually possible?  It would seem to be closest to the user's intent, given SAS behaves that way already.  Or, if that's not possible, a button that actually deactivates the plugin or at least the "hold heading" feature when I don't want it?

@linuxgurugamer if you think it might be possible to switch to current control node but don't have the time to do it yourself, I could take a stab at it.  I may anyway, but I assume you know the code (and the likelihood this change could work) better than I do.

Edited by GDorn

On 6/28/2021 at 10:03 AM, RyGuy_McFly said:

Hi there, I'm having issues where whenever I activate timewarp with Prograde selected, my ship immediately flips around to point retrograde, and vise-versa.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:42 PM, MR L A said:

Do you have any other backwards facing parts? I had the same issue caused by a wrong-way-round (correct for the design) engine plate, which I believe was the root part for dV calculations reasons. Essentially this mod ignores what the probe is saying direction-wise and looks at the root :)

I can confirm that this happened after docking a (Bluedog_DB) Gemini capsule to an Agena Docking target, which created a situation with an engine at each end of the whole (docked-together) vessel - even after shutting down the engine on Agena's side for good.
"Only" the stock prograde/retrograde orientation is affected, though. MechJeb Smart A.S.S. is not affected.

3 hours ago, GDorn said:

It seems like the obvious fix is to use the orientation of the current control node, rather than the root node.

I assume this is why MechJeb's orientation is not affected.

Edited by Gordon Dry

On 6/28/2021 at 3:18 PM, RyGuy_McFly said:

Ahh, I do believe that's what happened. I'll re-root to the probe core again and report my findings. It's pretty annoying that the re-root tool also picks a new root part for the whole craft, but that's an argument for a different thread :confused:

SUPER LATE EDIT: Yup, re-rooting to a properly oriented probe core fixed the issue.

I was just made aware of this, since you didn’t tag/ping me, I wasn’t notified.

so the issue appears to be it is using the root node rather than the current control point.  shouldn’t be too hard to fix, I’ll look at it tomorrow if I get some time

9 hours ago, GDorn said:

This bug has made the mod essentially unusable for me.  I'm at a section of my playthrough where I'll have multiple ships docked to the same massive (say, G-class) asteroid, trying to do precise maneuvers to arrange for very specific altitude aerobrakes, and it becomes impossible to time warp near re-entry without everything ending up pointed the wrong way.  And being such a massive asteroid, rotating it takes ages.

Ships composed of multiple, separately-launched parts with multiple probe cores are probably badly affected, too.

It seems like the obvious fix is to use the orientation of the current control node, rather than the root node.  Is that actually possible?  It would seem to be closest to the user's intent, given SAS behaves that way already.  Or, if that's not possible, a button that actually deactivates the plugin or at least the "hold heading" feature when I don't want it?

@linuxgurugamer if you think it might be possible to switch to current control node but don't have the time to do it yourself, I could take a stab at it.  I may anyway, but I assume you know the code (and the likelihood this change could work) better than I do.

See above

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Here is a beta, please test:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7k9lsedyralfwg8/PersistentRotation-1.9.1.7-beta.zip?dl=0

• Fixed to use current control point
  • Disabled code for normal/anti-normal

For prograde/retrograde, it works great.  I tested on a vessel with randomly-facing probe cores, and it orients correct depend on which is active.

For normal/anti-normal, it does nothing now, which I gather is intended.

For radial out, it points at the top of the nav ball, not current radial out.  And radial in goes to the bottom.  I doubled-checked that I wasn't accidentally referencing the wrong body, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I can't remember if it used to hold target; it's tricky to test on this craft, but it doesn't seem like it does.

Edited by GDorn
more deets

4 hours ago, GDorn said:

For normal/anti-normal, it does nothing now, which I gather is intended.

Unfortunately, for now, yes.  The craft _will_ rotate (relative to the body it's orbiting) around it's axis, it was the best I could do for now.

4 hours ago, GDorn said:

For radial out, it points at the top of the nav ball, not current radial out.  And radial in goes to the bottom.  I doubled-checked that I wasn't accidentally referencing the wrong body, but that doesn't seem to be the case

Pics, please, I'm not quite sure what you mean.  What were you orbiting, was the body targeted, etc.

4 hours ago, GDorn said:

I can't remember if it used to hold target; it's tricky to test on this craft, but it doesn't seem like it does.

All I touched was change the craft's reference from the craft's (which apparently is the root part) to the ReferenceTransform, nothing else.  You can test the currently released version by using a craft with a single control point and run through your tests.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I assume what is meant is that "radial in" does not always mean "to the bottom of the navball", especially when the orbit is far from being circular and that PersistentRotation does not recreate the situation of pointing radial in, but pointing perfectly 90° downwards relative to the body.

Edited by Gordon Dry

28 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

I assume what is meant is that "radial in" does not always mean "to the bottom of the navball", especially when the orbit is far from being circular and that PersistentRotation does not recreate the situation of pointing radial in, but pointing perfectly 90° downwards relative to the body.

ah.  Ok, not sure if I can do that case right now.  That's quite a bit more complicated.  I'll have to dig into the orbit stuff, will not be a quick fix

5 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Right.  "Top of navball" is typically your heading on the launchpad, when all you can see on the navball is blue.  Bottom is directly opposite.

This was in orbit of "kerbin" (actually Rhode, but irrelevant) and the behavior is consistent across control points - that is, it always orients the current control point to the top of the navball, so the code to get the current control point is right.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.9.1.7

• Fixed to use current control point
  • Disabled code for normal/anti-normal
  • Thanks to github user @Aebestach
    • Update zh-cn.cfg

This works only for normal prograde and retrograde in orbit. If you are prograde/retrograde in relation of a target like a spacestation, the issue remains.

• 4 months later...
On 6/1/2022 at 12:20 PM, woodbyte said:

Is this the bug you guys were talking about?

https://clips.twitch.tv/EnjoyableSplendidAlfalfaPastaThat-oOSEHcBKX-EB-M1y

Whenever I enter time warp while orienting to target I get this weird, instant snapping to a different rotation. Happens every time with the mod installed.

Is this happening to you with the current version?

• 1 month later...

I may be mis-remembering, but did this only snap to markers on entering warp if your current heading was within a few degrees of the marker? At the moment, it will snap to a marker upon entering warp no matter your current orientation, and you can freely change your snapped-to orientation during warp if you're in 'snapped' mode by selecting a different marker in the SAS controls.

Set SAS to pilot only to illustrate (also happens with really massive craft or if you have a reaction wheel nerf)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/966275238851653732/996396251941707886/KSP_x64_MMdavFeeOf.mp4

If I am mis-remembering, an angle threshold could be a good solution?

player log:

https://gist.github.com/Rodg88/dfb01de1793579f1dbde8303c73ba4ae

KSP log:

https://gist.github.com/Rodg88/403e6e592783d92cd92089685dfaf105

• 3 months later...

Hi Linux

Can I disable the spinning of Asteroid.

Reason is I think its causing huge FPS loss at the point one spawns in and then PR adds rotation to it.

Now I could be wrong but watching the debug screen as soon as an Asteroid is spawned in

and I get the [PR] generation data for so and so it hits the FPS a fair bit.

Could I turn it off and see if its that.

I could remove the mod but I want to keep it and see if its just the spinning of asteroids that is causing it.

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT

OK I am pretty sure its that as soon as this asteroid was spawned and PR did its thing fps dropped from 60fps to 40fps

YFn7Eyd.jpeg

Edited by stk2008

• 5 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer I'm having an issue with 1.9.1.7 (on KSP 1.12.3, RP-1 install). If vessel is rotating even slightly when entering time warp, upon exiting time warp, it is rotating faster than before. 3-4 time warps more, and it is spinning wildly. This happens with all vessels, regardless of anything. Let me know if you need any logs or anything to debug this.

On 11/29/2022 at 10:01 AM, aluc24 said:

I'm having an issue with 1.9.1.7 (on KSP 1.12.3, RP-1 install

RP-1 has it's own persistent rotation feature and is incompatible with PR. but is supposed to disable itself in the presence of PR.

Edited by Gotmachine