[Min KSP 1.12.X] Sandcastle: 3D printing for parts and vessels

Angelo Kerman

26 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

@taniwha added recipes to EL a few years ago, so there's no need for Sandcastle to do that. The Sandcastle materials list is only used for 3D printing parts, not whole vessels. They're two different systems- Sandcastle will just add a robotic printer or two specifically to work with EL.

Ah. I see - as I've specified different ratios of resources to different part categories, if I want to utilise the same resources to either print every part in Sandcastle and construct manually,  or to use EL to construct craft all in one go, then I'd need to specify the recipes for each part in EL.

That is probably easier than I initially was initially thinking.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shaman said:

I'm having an issue where some parts are just displaying a box icon in the print shop.  From what I can tell it appears to be parts from mods. 

Yea, this may have to be address.  similar issues with added parts stock parts with Simplex Assembly I think.

1 hour ago, Shaman said:

I'm having an issue where some parts are just displaying a box icon in the print shop.  From what I can tell it appears to be parts from mods. 

Parts that don't have thumbnail images will only have the default box icon. It's up to KSP to add the thumbnail images.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there plans in the future  either to have something like extraplanetary launchpads or compatibility with it so that EL uses sandcastles recipes? Currently it quite hard to get parts using the same amount of resources with both systems because their recipes are specified quite differently.

Edited by Lach_01298

1 hour ago, Lach_01298 said:

Are there plans in the future  either to have something like extraplanetary launchpads or compatibility with it so that EL uses sandcastles recipes? Currently it quite hard to get parts using the same amount of resources with both systems because their recipes are specified quite differently.

I looked into this with Simplex Assembly and my own additional configs.  If EL has RocketParts  can configure Sandcastle to use the same.  With ratios it has to basically be global.

20 hours ago, theJesuit said:

I looked into this with Simplex Assembly and my own additional configs.  If EL has RocketParts  can configure Sandcastle to use the same.  With ratios it has to basically be global.

The ratios were the main thing. Sandcastle and EL have different ways of calculating the percentage of a parts mass is a resource. Specifically I was writing configs for modules because I really didn't want to make a giant config for every part.

As of current there is really no way to make both  systems use the same resources. I was hoping for Sandcastle to specify resources to EL (or the other way around) but I don't know how feasible if at all possible it is.

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile, the burnout from work is strong with this one, but I've finally managed to do something this week that I've wanted for a long time:

IkLZLbZ.png

That's fifteen parts total, including the probe core. Obviously it will be more if I include lights and such, but 15 is a pretty good part count for a basic shipyard. :)

31 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

It's been awhile, the burnout from work is strong with this one, but I've finally managed to do something this week that I've wanted for a long time:

IkLZLbZ.png

That's fifteen parts total, including the probe core. Obviously it will be more if I include lights and such, but 15 is a pretty good part count for a basic shipyard. :)

Sorry to hear about burnout.  Still going?

Is the intention to build this with Sandcastle and then have a kerbal construct it on EVA?

It does look awesome.

5 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Sorry to hear about burnout.  Still going?

Is the intention to build this with Sandcastle and then have a kerbal construct it on EVA?

It does look awesome.

Yeah, still going. The idea is that you build the dock in orbit via either stock EVA construction or with Extraplanetary Launchpads.

The only thing better than 3.75m grid panels is 7.5m grid panels:

iW95nle.png

I have the yard frames done at this point save for a couple of plugin bugs. Ideally I'll have the 3D printer models done this month as well (they work with Extraplanetary Launchpads)...

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

The only thing better than 3.75m grid panels is 7.5m grid panels:

iW95nle.png

I have the yard frames done at this point save for a couple of plugin bugs. Ideally I'll have the 3D printer models done this month as well (they work with Extraplanetary Launchpads)...

So are the angled ones the smaller 3.75 and the sides and top the larger?  Looks great!  Is there a max number of columslns and what are the attachment points/surface attach thingees?

49 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

So are the angled ones the smaller 3.75 and the sides and top the larger?  Looks great!  Is there a max number of columslns and what are the attachment points/surface attach thingees?

There are straight and angled (30 degrees, 45 degrees, 60 degrees) for both the 3.75m and the 7.5m panels. The max grid size is 6 by 6, which translates to 22.5m by 22.5m for the 3.75m panels, and 45m for the 7.5m panels. There are 6 attachment nodes (forward, back, left, right, top, bottom), plus the surface attachment node. And of course you can attach parts to the surface of the panels. I chose only one top and one bottom node instead of one top/bottom pair for each panel's mounting point, because 1) you'd end up with up to 72 nodes for a 6 x 6 grid, and 2) the math to figure that out would be a nightmare.

28 minutes ago, planeticegaming said:

is there a way to get the print shop to be able to make pathfinder parts.

that would really help making bases

Yes.  Kinda.   Use LGG's Part Volume mod

to define the part volumes.

Alternatively PM a link for which mod exactly and I'll use my little formula to create a patch for you and add it to Simplex Assembly next time it gets updated.

On 11/11/2021 at 4:44 PM, theJesuit said:

Yes.  Kinda.   Use LGG's Part Volume mod

to define the part volumes.

Alternatively PM a link for which mod exactly and I'll use my little formula to create a patch for you and add it to Simplex Assembly next time it gets updated.

thanks, the mod worked after a bit of tinkering. but it has got rid of different variants on modded parts like station parts redux and near future construction

Edited by planeticegaming

• 2 weeks later...

Love the look of the yard frames, I'm currently setting up a construction space and they'd be great to add to it.

Just a question,  is it possible to allow a Kerbal to grab onto them and move along them like ladders? I'd assume along the edges of the individual panels.

One of the issues I have at the moment is that I've going to have to send up a rocket with loads of ladder segments so my engineers can grab my current structure in more places so that they are anchored while in EVA construction mode. I know I'd be able to do the same thing with the yard frames but having it built in would be much easier (for me at least, I don't know how easy it is to add to the part)

On 12/4/2021 at 4:40 PM, Robin Patenall said:

Love the look of the yard frames, I'm currently setting up a construction space and they'd be great to add to it.

Just a question,  is it possible to allow a Kerbal to grab onto them and move along them like ladders? I'd assume along the edges of the individual panels.

One of the issues I have at the moment is that I've going to have to send up a rocket with loads of ladder segments so my engineers can grab my current structure in more places so that they are anchored while in EVA construction mode. I know I'd be able to do the same thing with the yard frames but having it built in would be much easier (for me at least, I don't know how easy it is to add to the part)

Unfortunately, no. The nature of the game doesn't allow dynamic ladder creation, which would be needed to support the dynamic yard frames. What I'd do instead is carry a ladder with you when you go on EVA, and weld it to the frame where you need to park the kerbal. If your kerbal needs more inventory space, I'd recommend KHSK: